Basso vs. Armstrong, where did Basso lose his time?

Old July 21st 05, 11:58 PM
Chris M

Default Basso vs. Armstrong, where did Basso lose his time?

IIRC Basso did not lose any time to Armstrong last year aside from TTs
and bonus time awards. This year Basso lost 1.24 (to Armstrong) during
the stage 1 ITT, and 8 more seconds during the TTT (for a net time of
1.32 behind). I have not been able to watch the Tour very closely this
year and I missed seeing where Basso lost the rest of the time. Where
did it happen?

Old July 22nd 05, 12:04 AM
k.papai

Time bonuses where Lance finished 2nd.

Old July 22nd 05, 12:21 AM
David Ferguson

On 21 Jul 2005 16:04:30 -0700, "k.papai" wrote:

Time bonuses where Lance finished 2nd.

no

stage 10

Old July 22nd 05, 12:22 AM
David Ferguson

On 21 Jul 2005 15:58:46 -0700, "Chris M"
wrote:

IIRC Basso did not lose any time to Armstrong last year aside from TTs
and bonus time awards. This year Basso lost 1.24 (to Armstrong) during
the stage 1 ITT, and 8 more seconds during the TTT (for a net time of
1.32 behind). I have not been able to watch the Tour very closely this
year and I missed seeing where Basso lost the rest of the time. Where
did it happen?

He gained time on him in stages 10 and 14. Real time and bonus time.
Old July 22nd 05, 12:23 AM
chester

Chris M wrote:
IIRC Basso did not lose any time to Armstrong last year aside from TTs
and bonus time awards. This year Basso lost 1.24 (to Armstrong) during
the stage 1 ITT, and 8 more seconds during the TTT (for a net time of
1.32 behind). I have not been able to watch the Tour very closely this
year and I missed seeing where Basso lost the rest of the time. Where
did it happen?

1) isnt the TTT a set time lost, so he lost 30 or 40 seconds from
that, even is the team finished only 8 sec back?
2) Didnt Lance pull away from everyone the first stage in the Alps,
where he came in second by a bike length, and gained 45-50 seconds on
his rivals?
Old July 22nd 05, 12:42 AM
jc

Chris M wrote:
IIRC Basso did not lose any time to Armstrong last year aside from TTs
and bonus time awards. This year Basso lost 1.24 (to Armstrong) during
the stage 1 ITT, and 8 more seconds during the TTT (for a net time of
1.32 behind). I have not been able to watch the Tour very closely this
year and I missed seeing where Basso lost the rest of the time. Where
did it happen?

Basso lost just over a minute on the road at Courcheval. Lance picked
up the time bonus for second there, also. Otherwise, you're right, the
time gaps last year were in the TTs and TTT, not the road stages.
Old July 22nd 05, 06:33 AM

wrote:

IIRC Basso did not lose any time to Armstrong last year aside from TTs
and bonus time awards. This year Basso lost 1.24 (to Armstrong) during
the stage 1 ITT, and 8 more seconds during the TTT (for a net time of
1.32 behind). I have not been able to watch the Tour very closely this
year and I missed seeing where Basso lost the rest of the time. Where
did it happen?

1. Alejandro Valverde (Sp) Illes Balears 4hrs 50mins 35secs
2. Lance Armstrong (US) Discovery same time
3. Mickael Rasmussen (Den) Rabobank +9s
4. Francisco Mancebo (Sp) Illes Balears same time
5. Ivan Basso (It) Team CSC +1:02
Old July 22nd 05, 08:50 AM
Morten Reippuert Knudsen

Chris M wrote:

IIRC Basso did not lose any time to Armstrong last year aside from TTs
and bonus time awards. This year Basso lost 1.24 (to Armstrong) during
the stage 1 ITT, and 8 more seconds during the TTT (for a net time of
1.32 behind). I have not been able to watch the Tour very closely this
year and I missed seeing where Basso lost the rest of the time. Where
did it happen?

He was dropped with 4,5km to go by Armstrong, Rasmussen, Mancebo and
Valverde on the first stage in the Alpes to Courchavel - and finnished
5th.
Basso had a slow start in this years tour - proberbly because he
rode Giro as well. He also disapointed on the firste 19km iTT.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :-) http://blog.reippuert.dk

PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 300+300GB SATA, 8xDVD+/-RW, Bluetooth
mus + tastatur, R9600PRO, iSight, eyeTV200 & LaCie Photon18Vision TFT
Old July 22nd 05, 02:00 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 07/21/2005 05:23 PM, in article ,
"chester" wrote:

Chris M wrote:
IIRC Basso did not lose any time to Armstrong last year aside from TTs
and bonus time awards. This year Basso lost 1.24 (to Armstrong) during
the stage 1 ITT, and 8 more seconds during the TTT (for a net time of
1.32 behind). I have not been able to watch the Tour very closely this
year and I missed seeing where Basso lost the rest of the time. Where
did it happen?

1) isnt the TTT a set time lost, so he lost 30 or 40 seconds from
that, even is the team finished only 8 sec back?

No ... The *maximum time* loss for finishing 2nd in the TTT is 20 seconds.
CSC finished 2 seconds slower than Discovery Channel, so that's what the
actual time difference amounted to.

2) Didnt Lance pull away from everyone the first stage in the Alps,
where he came in second by a bike length, and gained 45-50 seconds on
his rivals?

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [foreword] slash