Wheel Cam Lock On Grandson's Bike; Getting Tire Past Brake Pads ?

Old May 15th 17, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob[_19_]

Default Wheel Cam Lock On Grandson's Bike; Getting Tire Past Brake Pads ?

Hello,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

Any thoughts on, or links with pix that show how to, would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old May 15th 17, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 15 May 2017 06:32:11 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

Any thoughts on, or links with pix that show how to, would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

I thought someone had asked this question before but:

If it has Vee brakes: http://tinyurl.com/nx3skot
it has a sort of latch just next to the noodle that releases the brake
cable to allow the brakes to open wider.

If it is a slightly up-market caliper brake:
http://tinyurl.com/mqequ27
it will have a small cam sort of device to release cable tension and
allow the brakes to open.

If it is a cheaper brake: http://tinyurl.com/m8usdo2
it won't have any cable release and you may have to loosen the cable
clamp bolt to change a tire.

The brake blocks are usually fairly close to the rim when riding. I
adjust my brakes so that the brake lever is about half closed when the
brake blocks clamp onto the rim.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 15th 17, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/15/2017 5:32 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts
some questions that have come up. I have to admit I know
nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the
help.

Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the
brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to
be wide enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them,
easily ?
Or,...?

Any thoughts on, or links with pix that show how to, would
be most appreciated.

Good question.
Almost all adult bicycle braking systems have a release
feature. If the braking system is set up properly the tire
will usually not clear until rel;eased. Describing the
bicycle or brake will get you better advice or do an image
search for 'bicycle brake release'.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bicycle+br...ax=1&ia=images

For children's sidewalk bicycles or low-end adult models,
remove the brake shoe on the not-cable side.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 15th 17, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 5/15/2017 5:32 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

No, they are not.

Any thoughts on, or links with pix that show how to, would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

The brakes usually have a method for removing the cable from the bracket
on the brake, such that the brake pads can then spread REALLY wide apart
and avoid the need to deflate the tire.

Different brakes in the past used different methods, so just guessing
isn't really an answer. If you can link to a good photo of the brakes,
or provide the bicycle brand and model, people may be able to offer
better help.
Old May 15th 17, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 3:32:16 AM UTC-7, Bob wrote:
Hello,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

Any thoughts on, or links with pix that show how to, would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Besides all the other comments, you may still experience a problem if the tire is fully inflated off the mounting. You would normally inflate the tire to full pressure off of the bike to seat the tire on the rim properly and then deflate it until it's pretty soft so that it will have minimal difficulty pushing it through the calipers. Then you inflate it no more than the tire pressure recommended and printed on the sidewall of the tire.

Tire pressure should be no less than 25% under max pressure.
Old May 15th 17, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 15 May 2017 06:32:11 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

Any thoughts on, or links with pix that show how to, would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

What kind of brake? Is it the one with a cable running from one side
to the other, with the apply cable pulling it up in the middle? If so,
one end of the "saddle" cable has a "trigger" or handle on it to
unhook it from the brake arm, allowing the pads to fully retract from
the wheel.
Old May 15th 17, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/15/2017 8:15 AM, John B. wrote:
[...]

Yep.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 15th 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 9:39:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I have yet to have to let air out of any of my bicycle tires in order to get it back on the bicycle. The quick release at the brake caliper or on the brake lever allows the fully inflated tire to go past the brake shoes.

Cheers
Old May 15th 17, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 12:14:19 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yeppers. Andrew Caplin answered Bob's question back on May 7, 2017

Andrew Chaplin replied to what Bob wrote and this is what Bob wrote:

May 7

Bob wrote in news
Hi,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

a. Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

b. Is there supposed to be a flat washer between the bike fork's
cutout, and the cam mechanism ?
On the cam side ?
On the Nut side ?

Cheers
Old May 15th 17, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 15/05/2017 12:53 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

It depends on what sort of brakes he has. On my wife's hybrid you have
to disengage the brake cable. I think the OP is just asking how to do
it but he isn't saying which brakes he has.