Car ban during heat wave

Old June 30th 18, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Car ban during heat wave

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Old June 30th 18, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:53:59 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html
Old June 30th 18, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 7:03:27 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:53:59 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html

My first instinct was to condemn you for posting such a tragic story.
On reflection it just highlights how dangerous cars are.
Obviously the driver meant no harm but due to the inherent danger of cars normal human behaviour can result in innocent deaths.
If the child had been in a bicycle seat this would not have happened.
Old July 1st 18, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 19:30:36 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 7:03:27 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:53:59 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html

My first instinct was to condemn you for posting such a tragic story.
On reflection it just highlights how dangerous cars are.
Obviously the driver meant no harm but due to the inherent danger of cars normal human behaviour can result in innocent deaths.
If the child had been in a bicycle seat this would not have happened.

To be fair to the cagers, dogs can get heatstroke outside as well as in locked cars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-weather.html
Old July 2nd 18, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.
Old July 2nd 18, 05:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html

My first instinct was to condemn you for posting such a tragic story.
On reflection it just highlights how dangerous cars are.
Obviously the driver meant no harm but due to the inherent danger of cars normal human behaviour can result in innocent deaths.
If the child had been in a bicycle seat this would not have happened.

To be fair to the cagers, dogs can get heatstroke outside as well as in locked cars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-weather.html

Desert creatures, lizards, snakes, try to avoid being out in the summer heat so you are sharing the road only with your thoughts at this time of the year.

On the down side if you run out of water you waste what little energy you have left trying to chase down a distant cyclist. The cyclist turns out to be a brittle bush. You should know you are losing it but the mind is no longer working.
Old July 3rd 18, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.

All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.
Old July 3rd 18, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 03/07/18 00:01, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.

All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.

Indeed. So values are 120kW (3x30, not 3x60) running and 15kW (3x5) idling.
Old July 3rd 18, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 09:03:10 UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/07/18 00:01, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.

All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.

Indeed. So values are 120kW (3x30, not 3x60) running and 15kW (3x5) idling.

Police are now offering a free car ventilation service!
I am sure M'lud Nuglet would say that this is "criminal damage" in Nugentworld.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-hot-cars.html
Old July 3rd 18, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 13:36:18 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

As a cyclist, if a car driver endangers MY life, can I use a D lock to smash HIS window?

'...a honk and a wave!...' Hell and High Water General 7 October 14th 05 07:06 AM
WTK Value of Rans Wave? Tracer Recumbent Biking 2 August 13th 05 03:09 AM
We're having a heat wave Maggie General 7 February 26th 05 07:50 AM
A friendly wave Chalo General 137 August 30th 04 01:53 AM
Wave if you see this man Not me, someone else UK 2 July 18th 03 12:13 AM