Runnin' on empty

Old May 31st 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Runnin' on empty

Riding home last night, felt about to bonk with close to ten miles to
go. I've pushed through this plenty of times before, but never
without a mojo bar or *something* in my bag. (End of month; no money;
no mojo bars; already ate all the food I left the house with.) Saw a
drive-thru coffee stand that said, "Open". Wheeled up to the window
and begged for a packet of sugar.

(Guy seems readily amenable, looks around... ) "You want Splenda?"

"No. Sugar." (Now thinking I must seem like the "bug" from MIB.)

"I can give you sugar cubes."

"That'd be great."

(Hands me 4 sugar cubes.)

"Thanks! You're awesome!"

Popped the cubes two at a time; melt in mouth and swallow.

Don't know how much of it was psychological, but felt better
immediately and made it home no trouble.
Old June 1st 12, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 05-31-2012 13:14, Dan O wrote:
Riding home last night, felt about to bonk with close to ten miles to
go. I've pushed through this plenty of times before, but never
without a mojo bar or*something* in my bag. (End of month; no money;

I misjudged the weather and thought two small Red Bull would suffice.
Two-thirds of the way home I was knocking on a farm house door offering
to buy a bottle of water.

--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable.
Liberals need to learn that “inevitable" is not a synonym for “good."
Conservatives should learn that “inevitable" is not a synonym for “bad.”

Old June 1st 12, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 1-6-2012 5:33, Wes Groleau schreef:
On 05-31-2012 13:14, Dan O wrote:
Riding home last night, felt about to bonk with close to ten miles to
go. I've pushed through this plenty of times before, but never
without a mojo bar or*something* in my bag. (End of month; no money;

I misjudged the weather and thought two small Red Bull would suffice.
Two-thirds of the way home I was knocking on a farm house door offering
to buy a bottle of water.

Yes misjudging the weater is a classic one. Only your own pride is
holding you back to knock on someones door to ask for something to eat
or fill up your bottle. The times I had to, the people were very
generous and helpfull after I explained my situation. Cookies, candy
bars, sandwiches and a lady would even cook me a meal once.

Lou
Old June 1st 12, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On 05-31-2012 13:14, Dan O wrote:
Riding home last night, felt about to bonk with close to ten miles to
go. I've pushed through this plenty of times before, but never
without a mojo bar or*something* in my bag. (End of month; no money;

I misjudged the weather and thought two small Red Bull would suffice.
Two-thirds of the way home I was knocking on a farm house door offering
to buy a bottle of water.

Isn't Red Bull sugar and caffeine in water? That stuff just sucks all
the water right out of you.

Yes misjudging the weater is a classic one. Only your own pride is
holding you back to knock on someones door to ask for something to eat
or fill up your bottle.

I always start off with two full bottles regardless of the weather.
(Never know when you might need to copiously flush a wound or
something.) If it gets to looking like I might possibly run out, I
think ahead for someplace to refill.

The times I had to, the people were very
generous and helpfull after I explained my situation. Cookies, candy
bars, sandwiches and a lady would even cook me a meal once.

In my experience, nearly everyone is glad (eager, even) to help
someone who simply needs water to drink.

I try to never, ever ride far from home without at least one mojo bar
in my bag and preferably one mojo bar and one power bar. If I eat the
last one, I head purposefully for home or resupply and keep an "eye"
on the gas gauge.

I'll repeat one of my favorite movie quotes: "You don't know what you
can do and what you can't." I've pressed on when it would be very
easy to *think* that I couldn't, feeling awfully woozy, but never
actually bonked.
Old June 2nd 12, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 06-01-2012 11:07, Dan O wrote:
Isn't Red Bull sugar and caffeine in water? That stuff just sucks all
the water right out of you.

Not so. Excess blood sugar will make me pee, but when I am averaging
fifteen miles per hour, the muscles suck up the sugar. And one can is
only 110 calories.

Too much caffeine can stimulate the bladder to contract more, but it
does not cause the kidneys to run faster.

I needed the water for the heat, and the sugar for fuel.
I chose Red Bull because it has less sugar than other choices.
But I didn't choose enough of it from the water perspective.

--
Wes Groleau

Curmudgeon's Complaints on Courtesy:
http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html

Old June 2nd 12, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jun 1, 9:25 pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 06-01-2012 11:07, Dan O wrote:

Isn't Red Bull sugar and caffeine in water? That stuff just sucks all
the water right out of you.

Not so. Excess blood sugar will make me pee, but when I am averaging
fifteen miles per hour, the muscles suck up the sugar. And one can is
only 110 calories.

Too much caffeine can stimulate the bladder to contract more, but it
does not cause the kidneys to run faster.

I needed the water for the heat, and the sugar for fuel.
I chose Red Bull because it has less sugar than other choices.
But I didn't choose enough of it from the water perspective.

Hmm... I guess (maybe) you're right:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caf...drinks/AN01661

Glad you made it out of the woods that day.

Old June 2nd 12, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 2-6-2012 6:25, Wes Groleau schreef:
On 06-01-2012 11:07, Dan O wrote:
Isn't Red Bull sugar and caffeine in water? That stuff just sucks all
the water right out of you.

Not so. Excess blood sugar will make me pee, but when I am averaging
fifteen miles per hour, the muscles suck up the sugar. And one can is
only 110 calories.

Too much caffeine can stimulate the bladder to contract more, but it
does not cause the kidneys to run faster.

I needed the water for the heat, and the sugar for fuel.
I chose Red Bull because it has less sugar than other choices.

If you need sugar for the fuel you want something with as much sugar as
you can get. Right? My favourite refueling stops are gasstation stores
and with all that diet junk today it is getting harder to get non
artificial sweetened drinks.

I have trouble eating while riding a bike so I limit that to a minimum.
When all my glycogen (muscles and liver) storages filled up I know I can
ride bike with my kind off intensity for 2.5 hours and knowing that you
only can digest 60-70 gr of carbohydrates I only need one waterbottle
with 60 gr carbohydrates dissloved in it for my favourite 100 km rides.
Money and a powerbar for backup. For a 70-80 km ride I don't need to eat
at all.
When I'm home I know that my glycogen supplies are empty so I have to
refill them for the next day/ride.
Ultra long rides are not my cup of tea. For my that is 150+ km/more than
5 hours. It is boring, have to slow down, have to eat too much so my
stomach gets upset etc.

But I didn't choose enough of it from the water perspective.

For me it gets tricky when it is cold in early season. Burn a lot of
carbs just to stay warm. In that case the 2.5 hours isn't valid any
more, but I can feel it comming and can eat my backup or buy some stuff
at the gasstation except of course when I forgot my money or my powerbar
in a hurry. Then it gets really bad and I have to rely on the friendly
people. Fortunately we have no middle of nowhere here. ;-)

Lou

Old June 2nd 12, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 05-31-2012 13:14, Dan O wrote:
Riding home last night, felt about to bonk with close to ten miles to
go. I've pushed through this plenty of times before, but never
without a mojo bar or*something* in my bag. (End of month; no money;

I misjudged the weather and thought two small Red Bull would suffice.
Two-thirds of the way home I was knocking on a farm house door offering
to buy a bottle of water.

Yes misjudging the weater is a classic one. Only your own pride is
holding you back to knock on someones door to ask for something to eat
or fill up your bottle. The times I had to, the people were very
generous and helpfull after I explained my situation. Cookies, candy
bars, sandwiches and a lady would even cook me a meal once.

In more remote parts of the US, the person answering the door could be
holding a loaded gun and asking why the hell are you bothering them.
These people live out of the way for a reason.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old June 2nd 12, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

On 05-31-2012 13:14, Dan O wrote:
[...]

Did you experienced that or is this your suspicious/pessimistic nature
speaking again?
'ding dong... Look who is at the door will you. OK were is my gun?'
Geezzz what a f*cked up society. Glad that almost no one has a gun here.
Would not know what to do with it.

Lou
Old June 2nd 12, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On 05-31-2012 13:14, Dan O wrote:
[...]

Lots of people have guns in Switzerland. In fact, with mandatory
military service, a lot of people have SIG 550s that could reduce you
to confetti -- and Swiss society is hardly considered f***** up.
Switzerland has a very low rate of gun related violence. I'm not for
unfettered gun ownership in the US, but I don't think access to guns
is the root of our social woes -- particularly since a large number of
US gun owners are hunters. In Oregon, lots of people hunt -- and
there are plenty of places in Eastern Oregon where you can level a
rifle, take a shot and the bullet will drop before it comes within 20
miles of a population area. http://www.flickr.com/photos/loloboho/6220093763/
There is a very low rate of gun related violence in Eastern Oregon. In
North Dakota there is practically no gun related violence, yet better
than 50% gun ownership. Gun violence is a really complex problem made
difficult by our history and diverse population.

Anyway, I've ridden across the US and through many sparsely populated
areas, and I've relied on the kindness of others for food and
shelter. I found people to be more open and accommodating outside
urban areas. I just learned not to talk politics, particularly in the
Western and central states.

There were some places in Wyoming and Montana where I did not feel
welcome, but no one drew down on me. I just got the sense that they
viewed me as some hippy faggot environmentalists -- part of the giant
hippy faggot environmentalist conspiracy that had crushed their
economy by shutting down the local forest/copper pit mine/uranium
mine, etc. OTOH, in the same region, I was taken in and put up in a
church parish hall -- some good old boy sheriffs let me shower in
their three-cell jail. I was riding through a tiny, beaten down coal
town in the Appalachians when I guy pulled up next to me in an ancient
Ford PU. I thought I was going to get beaten to death with a banjo,
but the passenger pops a beer and hands it out the window, asking me
if I wanted it. I declined politely, but you get the point. A lot of
rural America is pretty friendly. Just don't stop to fill your bottle
at the backwoods cabin covered in brambles and stinking of rotten
flesh.

-- Jay Beattie.