Can anyone please recommend a good chain lube?

Old January 27th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Can anyone please recommend a good chain lube?

Right now I'm getting by with a spray lube called "Rem Oil." Seems ok,
but it's on the light side. I've tried motor oil, but that seems to fly
off and makes a total mess. Any suggestions please?

gene in Oregon

Old January 27th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
zeke

Your local bike shop should have several brands to choose from.
By-the-way the motor oil story is pretty funny :-)

----------------------------
Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
View my training log:
http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/logi...&password=demo

Old January 27th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fred

wrote in message
Right now I'm getting by with a spray lube called "Rem Oil." Seems ok,
but it's on the light side. I've tried motor oil, but that seems to fly
off and makes a total mess. Any suggestions please?

gene in Oregon

You might like to try chain oil - available from chainsaw retailers. It
certainly doesn't fly off, sorta stretchy stuff, like honey on your knife.
It's what I use, although I've heard a million different theories about
what's best. Watch this space - they'll appear shortly.

Old January 27th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob Burns

Fred wrote:
wrote in message
Right now I'm getting by with a spray lube called "Rem Oil." Seems ok,
but it's on the light side. I've tried motor oil, but that seems to fly
off and makes a total mess. Any suggestions please?

gene in Oregon

You might like to try chain oil - available from chainsaw retailers. It
certainly doesn't fly off, sorta stretchy stuff, like honey on your knife.
It's what I use, although I've heard a million different theories about
what's best. Watch this space - they'll appear shortly.

I also use chain oil- works for me.

"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)
Old January 27th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Jan 26, 9:40 pm, wrote:
Right now I'm getting by with a spray lube called "Rem Oil." Seems ok,
but it's on the light side. I've tried motor oil, but that seems to fly
off and makes a total mess. Any suggestions please?

gene in Oregon

Prolink-good stuff, little goes a long way, read the instructions.

Old January 27th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Jan 26, 10:26 pm, "zeke" wrote:
Your local bike shop should have several brands to choose from.
By-the-way the motor oil story is pretty funny :-)

----------------------------
Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
View my training log:http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/logi...&password=demo

Where are you where you can ride and call it 'warm'? Wherever it is,
it ain't CO..with 93 inches of snow and ...snowing right now.

geeezzzzzz

Old January 27th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Jan 26, 11:53 pm, "Fred" wrote:
wrote in ... Right now I'm getting by with a spray lube called "Rem Oil." Seems ok,
but it's on the light side. I've tried motor oil, but that seems to fly
off and makes a total mess. Any suggestions please?

gene in Oregon

You might like to try chain oil - available from chainsaw retailers.

You might try mixing the chain oil with an equal amount of odorless
mineral spirits. This 'thins' the oil, making it easier to penetrate
to the rollers and easier to wipe off the excess on the outside. After
a few hours, the mineral spirits 'evaporate', leaving the chain oil
inside the rollers, where it's needed.

Good stuff, and very inexpensive. Those $5+, 4oz bottles of
"chainlube" are absurd, IMO.

Old January 27th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TomP

I use Maxima Chain Wax
http://www.maximausa.com/products/ch...s/chainwax.asp

It can be bought at motorcycle shops.

One application to a clean dry chain will last about 500 miles, when not
ridden in the rain.

Best way to "clean" a chain? Ultra Sonic Cleaner.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3305

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old January 27th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jan 26, 11:40 pm, wrote:
Right now I'm getting by with a spray lube called "Rem Oil." Seems ok,
but it's on the light side. I've tried motor oil, but that seems to fly
off and makes a total mess. Any suggestions please?

gene in Oregon

If you use google to search this discussion group and the group
rec.bicycles.tech, you'll find discussion threads on chain lubrication
stretching* back to the dawn of Usenet time. You can read as much as
you like.

Start at http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/topics and
use the search box at the top.

[* OK, the threads don't really "stretch." Instead, there's a bit of
grinding disagreement where each post meets the next response. The
total effect is the opinion pitched by each person moves further and
further away from the last, and the thread _seems_ to get on longer
and longer.

Or something like that.]

- Frank Krygowski

chain lube? AP UK 51 January 9th 07 12:07 PM
Would you recommend me a good tent klimek UK 9 May 3rd 06 11:31 AM
Chain lube Si UK 13 August 20th 05 07:24 AM
CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE [email protected] Techniques 15 June 21st 05 04:57 PM
Chain Lube Doki Mountain Biking 8 October 22nd 04 09:07 PM