Young cyclist died after being struck on pedestrian crossing by hitand run killer motorist.

Old March 26th 12, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

Default Young cyclist died after being struck on pedestrian crossing by hitand run killer motorist.

The killer was bailed, as usual.

"A teenage cyclist has died after being struck by a car that failed to
stop in south-east London, police have said.

Officers were called to Deptford Church Street at the junction with
Bronze Street, at about 17:00 GMT on Friday.

The 17-year-old victim died a few hours after the crash, involving a
silver Audi on a pedestrian crossing.

A 27-year-old man was later arrested on suspicion of causing death by
dangerous driving and failure to stop.

He has been bailed to return on a date in May.

Police said the driver turned around at traffic lights close to the
scene, before coming back and stopping on the opposite carriageway and
then drive off again.

The car was then found abandoned in Watergate Street, Deptford, at
about 19:00 GMT on Friday.

The cyclist, who had severe injuries, was taken by air ambulance to
King's College Hospital in south London where died."

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.
Old March 26th 12, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 26/03/2012 07:08, Doug wrote:
The killer was bailed, as usual.

"A teenage cyclist has died after being struck by a car that failed to
stop in south-east London, police have said.

Second cyclist killed on the route of my commute this year. I was off on
Friday so didn't see the aftermath.

I never did find out what happened to the cyclist whose bike I saw under
the wheels of a bus at the other end of Deptford Church Street last year
or why there is a ghost bike near Lewisham Station.

Old March 26th 12, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 08:32:20 +0100, Nick wrote:

On 26/03/2012 07:08, Doug wrote:
The killer was bailed, as usual.

"A teenage cyclist has died after being struck by a car that failed to
stop in south-east London, police have said.

Second cyclist killed on the route of my commute this year. I was off on
Friday so didn't see the aftermath.

I never did find out what happened to the cyclist whose bike I saw under
the wheels of a bus at the other end of Deptford Church Street last year
or why there is a ghost bike near Lewisham Station.

"Ghost bike" - perhaps it is just a bike fastened to the railings and someone
has lost the key?

Old March 27th 12, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default £1 million-plus damages for cyclist who will spend rest of her life in wheelchair

QUOTE:
A female cyclist who will spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair
after being hit by a car driven by an 89-year-old motorist with
defective eyesight has received an out-of–court settlement of more
than a million pounds in compensation.

Christine Glennon from High Wycombe, aged in her 60s, received severe
spinal injuries in the incident, which occurred in Shoemoor Lane in
Frieth, near Marlow, Buckinghamshire, reports the Bucks Free Press.

It was discovered that the 89-year-old driver of the vehicle involved
in the incident could not read a number plate at a distance of more
than 4.87 metres, less than a quarter of the 20-metre distance
stipulated in the Highway Code.

Mrs Glennon, who plans to move with her husband Pat to a new home
better equipped to meet her needs, said: “My life changed dramatically
after the collision and I strongly feel eye tests should be
implemented for older drivers. If these eye tests were compulsory
perhaps horrible accidents like this could be avoided in the future.”

She added that she regarded herself as “extremely lucky” to have
belonged to national cyclists’ organisation CTC, whose solicitors,
Russell Jones & Walker, represented her, managing to resolve the issue
within two years of the incident.

“The speed in which this was achieved has allowed me to move home
which was essential to starting a new life and moving on from this
terrible ordeal,” Mrs Glennon added.

Equity Group, which insured the motorist, had admitted liability at an
early stage of proceedings and made interim payments to the victim.

Roger Geffen, campaigns and policy director for CTC, described the
incident as an “horrific collision,” adding: “It shows the importance
of more regular testing of people’s fitness to drive.

“No doubt the 89 year old driver in this case is devastated by what he
has done,” he continued.

“However, by driving with defective eyesight he was putting other
people’s lives and limbs at risk and Mrs Glennon has paid a terrible
price for his actions.”

He added that the case underlined how essential it was for cyclists to
have insurance and expert legal advice in the event of becoming
involved in a similar incident.

Earlier this year, 55-year-old former tennis coach Patrice Gougam was
awarded £4 million compensation as a result of the life-changing
injuries he suffered following a hit-and-run incident involving a
motorist whom it later transpired also had defective vision.

http://road.cc/content/news/55739-%C...ife-wheelchair

--
Simon Mason
Old March 27th 12, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

QUOTE:
A female cyclist who will spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair
after being hit by a car driven by an 89-year-old motorist with
defective eyesight has received an out-of–court settlement of more
than a million pounds in compensation.

It's a good job that all road users have to have insurance by law.
Oh,......hang on?

Old March 27th 12, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 26/03/2012 07:08, Doug wrote:
The killer was bailed, as usual.

"A teenage cyclist has died after being struck by a car that failed to
stop in south-east London, police have said.

Second cyclist killed on the route of my commute this year. I was off on
Friday so didn't see the aftermath.

I never did find out what happened to the cyclist whose bike I saw under
the wheels of a bus at the other end of Deptford Church Street last year
or why there is a ghost bike near Lewisham Station.

"Ghost bike" - perhaps it is just a bike fastened to the railings and someone
has lost the key?

Perhaps and I guess they painted it entirely white and surrounded it
with flowers to prevent it getting nicked until they found their key?

Yesterday I also rode down Deptford Church street, plenty of flowers
there too but no ghost bike yet.

Old March 27th 12, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 27, 7:55*am, "Partac" wrote:
"Simon Mason" *wrote in message

QUOTE:
A female cyclist who will spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair
after being hit by a car driven by an 89-year-old motorist with
defective eyesight has received an out-of–court settlement of more
than a million pounds in compensation.

It's a good job that all road users have to have insurance by law.
Oh,......hang on?

You are right, pedestrians, horse riders, scooters, disabled
carriages, electric bikes and pedal bikes can all use the roads with
no insurance as well.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 27th 12, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 23:43:14 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

QUOTE:
A female cyclist who will spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair
after being hit by a car driven by an 89-year-old motorist with
defective eyesight has received an out-of–court settlement of more
than a million pounds in compensation.

As long as she got the compo - that is all that really matters isn't it.

Old March 27th 12, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:48:35 +0100, Nick wrote:

snip

"Ghost bike" - perhaps it is just a bike fastened to the railings and someone
has lost the key?

Perhaps and I guess they painted it entirely white and surrounded it
with flowers to prevent it getting nicked until they found their key?

No - I suspect it was the work of others.

Someone could have seen the abandoned bike - and thought I will brighten it up
and paint it white.

A few days later someone else thought - that looks a bit stark - I will
brighten it up with some pretty flowers.

A couple of days later - the council say: that looks a awful mess - and take it
away.

Job done.

Old March 27th 12, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 27, 10:48*am, Tris wrote:
In post
Simon

Mason wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:55*am, "Partac" wrote:
"Simon Mason" *wrote in message

QUOTE:
A female cyclist who will spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair
after being hit by a car driven by an 89-year-old motorist with
defective eyesight has received an out-of–court settlement of more
than a million pounds in compensation.

It's a good job that all road users have to have insurance by law.
Oh,......hang on?

You are right, pedestrians, horse riders, scooters, disabled
carriages, electric bikes and pedal bikes can all use the roads with
no insurance as well.

Not to mention the odd sk8er boi (plus now longboarder) and, of course,
roller skater.- Hide quoted text -

I am sure there must be many more - I may ponder on them and post some
more this evening.

--
Simon Mason