Clipless pedals: lets beat a dead horse...

Old August 9th 03, 06:35 PM
Destroy

Default Clipless pedals: lets beat a dead horse...

....but slightly differently.

I've been riding my FS bike with toe clips and straps which are real
easy to slip out of.

I had planned on upgrading to clipless as I got use to the bike BUT
during this learning time most of my riding has changed from XC/minor
bump single track to more all mountain/minor freeride/technical type riding.

Needless to say, due to the more technical and rapid riding, I'm falling
or coming close to falling much more than I use to.

In the mountain bike mags I rarely see the riders using the clipless
setup. Its only the pure XC type riders that seem to use them. There
must be a reason for this? And I'm guess its cause clipless are, for
lack of better term, 'less safe' i.e. hinders one's abilities and
balance too much during on the edge maneuvers. (Heh, I'd like to see
BMX riders using clipless, HA!)

I'm never used or tried clipless so I really have no clue as to what
they feel like. I do downhill ski very well so if its anything similar
to that 'locked in a binding' type feel I know what thats like. I really
don't feel like shelling out $200 for some decent clipless pedals and
shoes if I'm not going to put them to good use most of the time.

I guess the bottom line question is, what kind of riding do clipless
pedals become a hindrance and make their use more of a paranoia hazard
annoyance than helpful?

Old August 9th 03, 07:13 PM
voodoo

"Destroy" wrote in message
[...]

I like'em, and would never go without. I'm pretty much just a cross country
rider, but do get into technical stuff sometimes that requires me to have to
bail/dab. I've never had a problem getting out of them when needed. The
worst fall I ever had was when I was still using platform pedals. My right
foot slipped off while riding a steep rutted downhill. It was not pretty.

There are clipless pedals that incorporate platforms wich may interest you.
One that comes to mind is offered by Crank Brothers.

Old August 9th 03, 07:25 PM
bomba

Destroy wrote:
...but slightly differently.

I've been riding my FS bike with toe clips and straps which are real
easy to slip out of.

I had planned on upgrading to clipless as I got use to the bike BUT
during this learning time most of my riding has changed from XC/minor
bump single track to more all mountain/minor freeride/technical type
riding.

Needless to say, due to the more technical and rapid riding, I'm falling
or coming close to falling much more than I use to.

This is a question that you need to answer for yourself. As I'm sure
you're no doubt aware, there is a trade-off between the two. Clipless
(combined with cycling shoes) offer greater pedalling efficiency, but
that comes at the cost of freedom.

In the mountain bike mags I rarely see the riders using the clipless
setup. Its only the pure XC type riders that seem to use them. There
must be a reason for this?

You don't see 'freeriders' in magazines using clipless, but then you
don't need cycling efficiency when you're falling off a building. As
for only 'pure XC' riders using clipless, that's utter tosh. If you
took a poll here, everybody, with a couple of notable exceptions, uses
clipless. Why? Because it makes riding easier - more of your effort
goes directly in to pedalling the bike forward, and they're easy enough
to clip out of in technical sections that it's not a problems. However,
these issues are less important if you're just going downhill or through
the air.

And I'm guess its cause clipless are, for
lack of better term, 'less safe' i.e. hinders one's abilities and
balance too much during on the edge maneuvers. (Heh, I'd like to see
BMX riders using clipless, HA!)

Take a look at AA pro motos and then reiterate that statement. All of
the top racers use clipless (except Neal Wood).

I'm never used or tried clipless so I really have no clue as to what
they feel like. I do downhill ski very well so if its anything similar
to that 'locked in a binding' type feel I know what thats like.

A bit, but you have a lot more flexibility. Your feet can twist and
roll from side to side within certain degrees, and unclipping is a lot
easier. So in summary, it's actually nothing like ski bindings

I really
don't feel like shelling out $200 for some decent clipless pedals and
shoes if I'm not going to put them to good use most of the time.

Try something cheaper first then. You can pick up a decent set up for
less than $100.

I guess the bottom line question is, what kind of riding do clipless
pedals become a hindrance and make their use more of a paranoia hazard
annoyance than helpful?

Work out what you're going to do and make a decision based on that. If
you have no intention of riding uphills ever again, then platforms are
the way to go. Apart from that, you're in a grey area that comes down
to personal preference.

Take Spademan. He's a bmxer who tried several versions of clipless and
couldn't get on with them. He rides XC, but uses platforms.

Then there's me. I'm a bmxer too, but feel more than comfortable in
clipless on a mtb. I'll happily go jumping or do large drops in
clipless (although anything over about 8 foot or so, I'd use platforms).

Have a look at clipless with platforms: Shimano 646, Time Z and Crank
Bros platform. Not very comfortable in just shoes, but might offer the
compromise you're looking for.

Pays yers money, takes yers choice...

Old August 9th 03, 08:45 PM
Jack

"Destroy" wrote in message
[...]

I have clipless and I only use them for racing. I always use flats when I
ride for fun. I think a lot of people jump into clipless too fast without
learning some basic skills with flats.

http://www.mountainbike.com/mbhelp/s...01_flats.shtml

Old August 9th 03, 09:02 PM
Marty

"Destroy" wrote in message
[...]

When I ride flats I feel like I'm out of touch with the bike and the ride. I
know that there are many people who don't like to be clipped in but I feel
like I have more control.
Another point here is that many times I ride in wet/damp conditions. Before
I had clipless
my foot slipped off the pedals quite a bit. Once though it slipped to the
front on the
way down a steep section. The chain ring bit the back of my calf.
That left a mark.

Marty

Old August 9th 03, 11:30 PM
Stephen Baker

bomba says:

If you
took a poll here, everybody, with a couple of notable exceptions, uses
clipless.

"A couple of notable exceptions" - damned with faint praise again!

Ah, well, such is life......

Steve
Old August 10th 03, 12:03 AM
Huw Pritchard

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:30:58 +0000, Stephen Baker did issue forth:

bomba says:

If you
took a poll here, everybody, with a couple of notable exceptions, uses
clipless.

"A couple of notable exceptions" - damned with faint praise again!

Nah, you need half-clips.

Huw aRe throwing in odd-ball opinions in Rimmer's absence
Old August 10th 03, 04:03 AM
The Ogre

Destroy wrote in message ...
...but slightly differently.

Needless to say, due to the more technical and rapid riding, I'm falling
or coming close to falling much more than I use to.

In the mountain bike mags I rarely see the riders using the clipless
setup.

Some of the magazines I read the women use strap ons and chase each
other around the room with bull whips. I haven't met any that do this
in person. Reality doesn't necessarily reflect what you see in
magazines.

Its only the pure XC type riders that seem to use them. There
must be a reason for this?

What exactally is a "pure XC type" rider? This seems to be just about
everyone I know and ride with. I figure when it comes to Mountain
Biking there is XC which means you go up and down hill, or Downhill
where you get dropped off at the top.

And I'm guess its cause clipless are, for
lack of better term, 'less safe' i.e. hinders one's abilities and
balance too much during on the edge maneuvers.

Matter of opinion. Downhill racers use platforms, I guess it depends
on what terrain you are riding. I have ridden with a lot of people
who have put a lot of miles on their bikes over some pretty rough
stuff that would disagree with your guess.

I guess the bottom line question is, what kind of riding do clipless
pedals become a hindrance and make their use more of a paranoia hazard
annoyance than helpful?

You are the only one who can answer that. Unfortunately the only way
to know is to buy the shoes. Maybe you can borrow someones pedals?
SPD pedals are a cheap way to get into clipless though, they can be
had for $40 and you can generally find a cheap pair of shoes for
less than $30. If you decide you like them then you can start looking
at the $200 stuff.

-- The Ogre
http://ogrehut.net
Old August 10th 03, 05:09 PM
John Harlow

I guess the bottom line question is, what kind of riding do clipless
pedals become a hindrance and make their use more of a paranoia hazard
annoyance than helpful?

Generally, use flat pedals when...
(a) you can't be clipped in for stunts (BMX)
(b) it will be significantly advantageous to not be attached to the bike in
the event of a mishap (DH)
(c) you just don't want to (fear, no money, lazy etc)

Otherwise the advantages of clipless warrant their use. There will be a
learning curve; you will fall some, and it will pass.

Old August 11th 03, 04:33 AM
Mark

I have been riding for almost 7 years now and I started on platforms until I
got a decent bike. I think that it is best to learn some basic and
intermediate skills on platforms and then upgrade to clipless for the added
power (and IMO, control)
and for prices, I have seen them for under $40 CAD (Pyramids - Oh so similar
to the Popular Ritchey Pedals -
http://www.bikeroom.com/product.cfm?ProductID=332) and even shoes can be
cheap. I ride a pair of old Richey pedals with a new pair of Answer
Palisade shoes (I paid $89.99 CAD for the shoes)
All the BS about the un-safeness of clipless is a myth! the only time i fell
because of my pedals was the first time riding on them. (Funny story -
almost took out a large family of Japanese tourists in Whistler, BC) If you
are worried about not having time to clip in to them, say on a steep uphill
after a stop, invest in a pair of clipless with a platform around them (such
as Shimano 646s - http://www.bikeroom.com/product.cfm?ProductID=117).

oh well - enjoy whatever decision you make

ride on, ride hard - keep it rowdy

mark