Muni Safety - do you carry a whistle?

Old June 24th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
teachndad

Default Muni Safety - do you carry a whistle?

I was reading in a different type of forum, namely trailer camping,
about using a whistle for calling attention to yourself. It was
focused on children, but it made me think of MUNi.

I don't know about you, but most of the time when I MUNi, I ride alone.
My wife knows where the trail head is and when I will be back. I have
a cell phone, but sometimes in canyons, there is no cell reception.

I might suggest carrying a whistle. They are light weight, take up no
space in your back pack. Should an emergency occur, you can use it for
people to find you, should you "dump off" the side of a trail into
dense brush.

I used to carry them for when I bike toured over 30 years ago. I had
read somewhere, that the high pitched shrill of the whistle would
bother a dog's ears - enough to slow them down. That's the farm dog
that's coming at you at over 20 mph across some farmer's field ready to
take a bite out of your leg. I always barely outran them, but I did
use the whistle up in the Sierras, one day, on a slow climb over some
long high pass, though.

Cheers.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'UnicycleTips.com' (http://UnicycleTips.com)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 24th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

I carry a small B-flat trombone for safety. The glissando gives a wider
range of signalling options.

--
Mikefule

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 24th 07, 08:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

I do have a whistle. It's always in one of the hydration packs that I
use for muni. But I'm not reliable about making sure it's actually in
the pack that I'm using. I should remember to get whistles for each of
my hydration packs and always keep them with the packs. I should.
I've thought about it before. I'll forget about it all by the time I'm
next at a store.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 24th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mcnuggets300

if you forget or don't bother with a whistle and you do get into
trouble,
you could use a acorn, bottle top, beer bottle cap, or empty bottle as
a substitute, high pitch whistle...
heres how...
*Linkage:*
http://www.instructables.com/id/EU80...RIDO/?ALLSTEPS

I love instructables.com

--
mcnuggets300

there's the right way, there's the wrong way, and there's my way

pkplonker's got it right:
~''~ Unicycle for the Flying Spaghetti Monster ~''~
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 24th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

If riding trails alone, I do carry a whistle. That is a carryover from
my hiking and backpacking experience.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 24th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

I always carry a whistle and a compass.

The compass is really useful in wooded areas with loads of trails, when
you get lost. In nice weather and daytime the sun is okay, but if it's
English weather, or you're night riding, it's handy to know you can
always get out by riding on a bearing. I've used it a few times on
night rides.

I've not used the whistle yet, I did have a falling down a cliff moment
recently that made me happy to have it though, if I'd been a bit less
lucky, I'd have quite likely needed to use it.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 25th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
WOFT

I carry a whistle in my saddle bag. I should keep it directly on me
though. If I am immobile from a broken leg (for example), it doesn't
help if my whistle is in my bag on my muni, a few meters away

--
WOFT

'n Boer maak 'n plan.
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 25th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

It's not uncommon for me to carry a 'whistle and flute '
(http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/409800.html)when I ride in the
mornings!

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 25th 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

semach.the.monkey wrote:
It's not uncommon for me to carry a 'whistle and flute '
(http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/409800.html)when I ride in the
mornings!

STM

So, you carry a whistle while riding down the frog?

Ride down any apples, then, mate?

--
ivan

How's my attitude, dirt bag?entropy isn't what it used to
be.
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 25th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mattsmith

Whatever happened to screaming for help?
If I heard a whistle I'd think that Dickson of Dock Green was chasing
after me and promptly scarper.

--
mattsmith
http://www.usenet.com