Tampa to DC Mayors' Ride rider needed

Old May 8th 04, 05:55 PM
Cycle America

Default Tampa to DC Mayors' Ride rider needed

Our 3rd Annual National Mayors' Ride is set to kick off soon (May 14
from Seattle) and the excitement continues to pour in. From antique
HiWheel riders to World Record holding unicyclists to a Mayor riding one
of our legs to a movie star riding another to a musical entourage
introducing our ride to cities along the way, etc, etc, we are filled to
the top with firepower.

Many of our relay legs are covered by a lead rider but there a few key
legs that need coverage as per our 2004 schedule
http://www.BikeRoute.com/NationalMayorsRide2004 .

We need coverage in Tampa where they are really turning on the
afterburners as a new participant, like Seattle, in this year's event.
As the southeast send off point for the ride that joins Northeast
riders coming down from Boston, NYC, Philly and Baltimore in Washington
DC on July 2, they have devoted staff from their Greenway division to
our ride. And these guys are all over it!

For example they have already gotten an enthusiastic commitment from
mayor Pam Iorio to be at our celebration and have even asked us if there
is any limit to the number of people who can be present for the
ceremony. And it was already a good while ago now that they were asking
for the NBG logo so they could run it on the t-shirts they are to
producing for all of this!

Which brings me to a point. The rider we had felt pretty confident would
take this leg just pulled out. Instead of building other riders around
him, we are back to where we need a lead rider for this leg.

So if U have been thinking about doing a tour this summer but haven't
located a group or for that matter a cause that could make you feel like
your time was well spent, how about biking from Tampa to Washington DC ?

Like all of our rides you would be on your own for lodging, food,
routing and your cycling needs but your ride will be much celebrated. As
well, we will loan you a Pocket Mailer so you can chronicle your daily
manuevrings as you head north. The distance to DC is approximately 936
miles. The Tampa NBG Day celebration is June 1. And if we hear from you
soon enough, we can build your name into the Tampa NBG Day proclamation.
You can leave whenever you need to after you show up on June 1 just so
long as you are in DC on July 2 where Mayor Antony Williams will help
send our riders west to Chicago.

Individuals and groups a re encouraged to apply but only one of you will
get a Pocket mailer. Apply at
http://NationalBicycleGreenway.com/Forms/newriders.php !!

BTW: We als0 need to get the Seattle to Portland leg covered. We had
been hoping that last year's superstar, Mighty Jim Muellner
http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide/JimMuellner would take that
route as he had intimated he might but we couldn't get him to commit. We
had thought he would surprise us as last year we never got a commitment
out of him either. And even as he rode from Washington DC to San
Francisco, we never knew from one NBG Day city to the next if he would
continue.. Hey but I guess if you're 68 and independently wealthy there
is no need to be on anyone else's schedule but our own.

That still leaves us with the need to get Portland to Seattle covered.
So if you want to make a little bit of history with us, and want to ride
the 172 mile distance on a route the Cascade Bike Club can supply while
covering all your own expenses for a weekend ride please go to
http://NationalBicycleGreenway.com/Forms/newriders.php

--
M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Old May 10th 04, 05:59 PM
Cycle America

I now have the killer Tampa NBG Day flyer at our Mayors' Ride schedule
and have flagged Jim Shirk who is riding from Tampa to Jacksonville:

http://www.BikeRoute.com/NationalMay...004/#Anchor-57

This is going to be a much watched ride!! to sign on: