Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

Old February 6th 18, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all. Taking it
apart, I saw that the batteries were made in July 2015. Not too good for
it to stop working that soon. These lights don't have user-replaceable
batteries, but by removing two screws I was able to open it, and the
battery pack does have a connector on it so at least they didn't solder
it directly to the printed circuit board.

It's a 2 cell 18650 pack with the batteries in parallel, and a
protection circuit board shared between the two cells. The cells are
allegedly 2800mAH, for a total of 5600mAH. The closest I could find
on-line was a 2x2600mAH parallel pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B003SH4BV6.

I moved the connector from the old pack to the new pack, plugged it in,
and closed it up. Seems to work fine now.
Old February 6th 18, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"sms" wrote in message
news
My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all. Taking it
apart, I saw that the batteries were made in July 2015. Not too good for
it to stop working that soon. These lights don't have user-replaceable
batteries, but by removing two screws I was able to open it, and the
battery pack does have a connector on it so at least they didn't solder it
directly to the printed circuit board.

It's a 2 cell 18650 pack with the batteries in parallel, and a protection
circuit board shared between the two cells. The cells are allegedly
2800mAH, for a total of 5600mAH. The closest I could find on-line was a
2x2600mAH parallel pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B003SH4BV6.

I moved the connector from the old pack to the new pack, plugged it in,
and closed it up. Seems to work fine now.

My favourite is recycle bin rescues - with a £0 price tag; life expectancy
isn't something to get traumatised about.

Most laptop packs are 2 or 3P-3S, you can split them up as series or
parallel pairs A/R.

Old February 6th 18, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-02-06 13:07, Ian Field wrote:

"sms" wrote in message
news
[...]

In many areas they won't let you dive into recycling bins. You'd almost
have to lie in wait, dart out and yell "Yo, don't hand over that laptop
just yet!". Otherwise when it's in there it's in there and not coming
back out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 7th 18, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

On 2018-02-06 13:07, Ian Field wrote:

"sms" wrote in message
news
[...]

Most don't take any notice - one that said no has the bin next to customer
service desk, reconnaissance on the way in - anything interest and i make
use of the seating and wait for the clerk to nip out.

Old February 8th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-02-06 13:07, Ian Field wrote:

"sms" wrote in message
news My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all. Taking
[...]

In the country you live in maybe. In the US there may be a nasty
surprise waiting when trying to leave the store with the treasure, later
followed by a police cruiser for a ride into town but not to the
destination you intended.

Old February 8th 18, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

On 2018-02-06 13:07, Ian Field wrote:

"sms" wrote in message
[...]

Someone might drop packaged security tagged batteries in there.

I ignore any such finds, today I scored a wad of assorted button cell cards
that had half of them been used - they were clearly not straight from the
shelves to the bin.

One store has the recycle box under the display hooks - stock regularly
falls in there, it doesn't take a genius to figure out.

Old February 7th 18, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/6/2018 1:52 PM, sms wrote:
My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all. Taking it
apart, I saw that the batteries were made in July 2015. Not too good for
it to stop working that soon.

Some of my bikes have dynamos that are 30 years old. They just keep
going and going and going...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 7th 18, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:56:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/6/2018 1:52 PM, sms wrote:
My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all. Taking it
apart, I saw that the batteries were made in July 2015. Not too good for
it to stop working that soon.

Some of my bikes have dynamos that are 30 years old. They just keep
going and going and going...

And I doubt that your generators cost $150 ($180 with a box) either
:-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 7th 18, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

On 2/6/2018 1:52 PM, sms wrote:
My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all. Taking it
apart, I saw that the batteries were made in July 2015. Not too good for
it to stop working that soon.

Some of my bikes have dynamos that are 30 years old. They just keep
going and going and going...

And I doubt that your generators cost $150 ($180 with a box) either
:-)

My generator and light cost almost five times the price of my little L&M Urban 800 all-in-one, which produces more light. Hub was $110 on sale at Western Bikeworks (SP PD8), and the Luxos B was around $120 OTC from Clever Cycles in Portland. Throw in time for building front wheel. I got the all in one on sale for around $45.

Now, the battery life on the Urban sucks, and forgetting to charge is a reality -- so it's not as convenient as a dyno light, but I can switch it around between bikes. I've been switching between two bikes for commuting lately due to mechanical issues. One bike has a through-axle and the other doesn't, so switching dyno lights would be impossible. I'd need a dyno hub with 15mm through axle which, on its own, can cost as much as $200. I would also have to get a handlebar mount since there is no through hole on the crown of either of my disc bikes. I miss that and once I get a bar mount, I'll go back to using my Luxos B on the commuter, but I'll also use my little flea-watt back up blinky on the bar. I think low watt flashers or pulsing (rather than bursting flash-bulb) flashers are good in urban bicycle and car traffic.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 7th 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 2/6/2018 1:52 PM, sms wrote:
My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all. Taking it
apart, I saw that the batteries were made in July 2015. Not too good for
it to stop working that soon.

Some of my bikes have dynamos that are 30 years old. They just keep
going and going and going...

And I doubt that your generators cost $150 ($180 with a box) either
:-)

My generator and light cost almost five times the price of my little L&M Urban 800 all-in-one, which produces more light. Hub was $110 on sale at Western Bikeworks (SP PD8), and the Luxos B was around $120 OTC from Clever Cycles in Portland. Throw in time for building front wheel. I got the all in one on sale for around $45.

Hub dynos can be a significant expense, but they are not the only
choice. One does not always need their advantages.

My touring bike and our tandem have bottle dynos with good B&M
headlights. Those bottle dynos were free, decades ago. The one on my
touring bike is occasionally starting to rattle a bit (I think a bearing
is going) but it's usually perfect. When I get annoyed enough, I'll
replace it with another free one from my junk box.

My wife's touring bike and two of our folding bikes have roller dynos.
They work especially well for folders because they are compact and well
protected. I bought one of those roller units brand new in about 1979. I
think another was bought used, and I know one was given to me. So
overall, my dyno expenses are minimal.

Granted, bottle dynos might slip in heavy rain if not well adjusted.
Rollers will slip in mud. But those shortcomings are unimportant to most
cyclists.

Jay, I think your riding conditions are at the far right of some bell
curve. You do fast sport riding over long distances, you commute almost
every day in all weather, you commute over tough hills and dirt paths,
you ride in dense traffic, you maintain a stable of bikes...

Very few cyclists do all those things. Very few really need the high
efficiency and extreme reliability of a hub dyno. Very few need
multi-hundred-lumen headlights. I think almost all cyclists would do
fine with an old-tech dyno and a good (not top-of-the-line) B&M
headlight. It wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg.

And it wouldn't require hacker-style electronic repair in three years.

--
- Frank Krygowski