New Orleans streets, was Durability Of Velocity AeroheadRims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

Old November 16th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Duane Hébert

Default New Orleans streets, was Durability Of Velocity AeroheadRims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

On 11/16/2010 4:59 AM, Chalo wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:

Chalo wrote in message

New Orleans is one of the most rewarding places I
can think of to ride a bike, but if I lived there I would want a dual
suspension bike with armored tires.

Born and raised in NOLA and spent a lot of time on a bike that
I would guess you would call an impracticable bike.

That would be "impractical". The variation is Mr. Beattie's. And I
don't know that I'd call your bike that, because I don't know what you
ride.

Ah. I was wondering where that came from. As to bikes, I ride either a
Specialized Tarmac Elite or a Bianchi Volpe. Neither have been to NOLA.
Last bike that I road there was a Cannondale road bike but it was a
while ago.

Aside from
the hot,hazy,humid weather, didn't have much of a problem. Guess it
depends on where you ride.

Since the flooding of 2005, most street surfaces are really bad in the
parts of New Orleans that interest me. Austin and Seattle (where I
lived for a number of years) both have serious deferred maintenance
issues with street paving, but neither one can hold a candle to the
Big Easy in that regard.

I mostly lived around uptown near the river bend. Roads tend to be
better there but mostly because the ground is higher and floods less.

You're right about the storm though. I was down last spring break.
Rented a couple of Treks. Don't remember the model but they were 9
speed roadies. Aluminum frame and not very soft. Mostly didn't have
any problem but it was the first time since Katrina and I was shocked at
some of the neighborhoods. If you ride down St. Charles you don't know
anything happened but take a left toward Magazine or a right toward
Clairbone and it looks like the storm happened yesterday.

One good thing was that they seemed to be paving a lot of the streets
when I was there. My brother said that it was something about some
expiration on federal funds.

A friend and his wife went down last fall. They stayed at the Columns
and rented bikes. I think they mostly did St. Charles, Carrolton and
the path along the levee but they loved it. They came back asking me to
teach them to cook gumbo and crawfish etouffée.

It depends on where you go.

Despite sensible restrictions on glass containers in public, there is
still quite a bit of broken glass on the streets in NO.

That's true. I also had some flats running over the oyster shells that
they use in parking lots.

I miss that you could ride in January without worrying about snow and
ice though.