Tail Lights with 180 Degree Visibility that mount to the rack mountlike dynamo tail lights?

Old October 19th 14, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Tail Lights with 180 Degree Visibility that mount to the rackmount like dynamo tail lights?

On 10/19/2014 12:25 PM, Zarniwoop wrote:

snip

Busch & Muller 4D toplights have 2 in the center Behind a Lens & 2 on the edges .

the Whole thing Lights Up. add the Senso function & it will turn it self On when dark
and off after you have stopped for a few minutes
and if riding thru a dark tunnel it will turn itself on automatically
and then Blink (1/sec.)

http://www.bumm.de/produkte/akku-rue...-toplight.html

Where do you see the blink function? If it could be tricked into always
blinking by covering the sensor then it might be good.

I don't see the blink function mentioned anywhere.

Old October 20th 14, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zarniwoop

On Friday, October 17, 2014 5:31:20 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
Tail lights with side pointing LEDs used to be pretty common but they

seem to have disappeared.

Now that my new rack has a very good mount for a tail light I was

looking for something similar to the old CatEye TL=LD1100 which had six

rear facing LEDs and four side facing LEDs. Still on they web site at

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD1100/ but apparently

discontinued.

I tried ordering from Amazon and we'll see if the store really has them

since they quoted 14-21 days delivery.

Personal Experience.
I got a Busch And Muller 4D senso toplight, when I bought My Koga Miyata WTR trekking Bike (used)
and , in senso mode, rolling in day light and the going thru a tunnel , that is what it did .

I later replaced it with a 4D senso Plus , which simply added input plugs for the Dyno Hub .
so the hub powers the light in what was the off position of the battery-only one,
'
It still needs you to turn the switch to either on, or 'senso' to keep the light on when you stopped.
and the sensor would still turn the light on when you started and off when you stopped.
after a few minutes.

When paired with the e6 halogen headlight both would go off when you stopped, potentially.

Later, going with the LED eDelux (or B&M EycT) and the line tech plus taillights , Both have capacitors
to maintain some power after you stop.

You have an additional sensor in the line tech Brake version,
So, when the AC pulses off the rolling wheel slow down the rear light brightens .

Happy Shopping ..

dont like lights that must comply with German regulations. dont Buy them.
if you don't commute in Germany . on your bike.
Old October 21st 14, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 1:01:33 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:

The Bumm rear lights are unacceptable because they lack a flash mode. A

Flashing rear red LED light is the defacto indication to other road

users that there is a bicycle ahead.

*facepalm*

Oh good lord is this still going on.

The B&M lights are fine, and preferable to flashing lights.

nate
Old October 21st 14, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/17/2014 8:59 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:28:15 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

I have the Line Plus and have stopped using the Cateye Cateye
TL-LD1100 because it is no longer the best rear lamp.

http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-ruecklicht/toplight-line-plus.html
Nice tail light, but I don't see any side lighting in the photos. I
think Stephen and I want something with side lights as in 180 degree
visibility.

Andre Jute
Illuminati

One must suffer before enlightenment. If you've ever used a
departement store bicyle light, you already know suffering.

Actually, the simplest rear flasher, was five LEDs driven by two AA
cells (SEFL26RY25). It was cheap, ran for a long time, and was
sufficiently visible. No side visibility but I guess you could have used
two or three of them to get 180 degree visibility. You can still get them.

But I really want only ONE rear light with 180 degree visibility. And it
needs to have the mounting system that attaches to the bracket on a rear
rack. And of course it has to have a flash mode. Not much sense getting
a rear light without a flash mode (except in Germany) because the flash
mode greatly increases conspicuousness.

Old October 21st 14, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/20/2014 5:15 PM, N8N wrote:
On Saturday, October 18, 2014 1:01:33 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:

The Bumm rear lights are unacceptable because they lack a flash mode. A

Flashing rear red LED light is the defacto indication to other road

users that there is a bicycle ahead.

*facepalm*

Oh good lord is this still going on.

The B&M lights are fine, and preferable to flashing lights.

Avoid the B&M rear lights at all costs if flahers are legal in your
country. They are seriously inadequate. Don't endanger yourself with
them versus a proper rear light unless you're in Germany where flashing
rear lights are not legal.

Old November 4th 14, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/17/2014 5:31 PM, sms wrote:
Tail lights with side pointing LEDs used to be pretty common but they
seem to have disappeared.

Now that my new rack has a very good mount for a tail light I was
looking for something similar to the old CatEye TL=LD1100 which had six
rear facing LEDs and four side facing LEDs. Still on they web site at
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD1100/ but apparently
discontinued.

I tried ordering from Amazon and we'll see if the store really has them
since they quoted 14-21 days delivery.

Two TL-LD1100 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQPEW10 arrived yesterday,
about two and a half weeks after ordering. They look like the real
thing. One strange thing about these lights that I've noticed is that
the screw to mount it to the rack bracket is too long. It's been this
way since the TL-LD1000 and it continues. You have to use a thick washer
or the screw will break the plastic of the light.

This tail light is still on the CatEye web site
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD1100/ but availability
is very poor. Too bad since it's the only full-function tail light, with
180 degree visibility that mounts to a standard light mount on a rear
rack. Plus it uses AA batteries rather that much lower capacity AAA
batteries. The rack mount tail lights from Germany all lack the side
pointing LEDs and/or the flash functionality (the lack of the flash
function is probably due to the ill-advised StVZO regulations, but I
don't know if these regulations also prohibit 180 degree visibility).

I really like the rack mount lights. They aren't obscured by bags like
seat post mount lights and they are less prone to being damaged than
seat stay mount lights, especially on a rack where the mount places the
light under the top platform like on the Massload CL-476 I recently
acquired
http://web.archive.org/web/20041108130532/http:/www.cl-massload.com.tw/products.php?pid=78.

Old November 4th 14, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 4:53:19 PM UTC, sms wrote:
On 10/17/2014 5:31 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

I've used Cateye TL-LD1000/1100 for donkey's years years and never mounted them to the rack mounts because I always had dynamo rear lamps there, using the Cateye for additional flashing and daylight riding lamps. I tied my TL-LD1000/1100 to the rear crossbar of the rack by tiewraps that also did double duty of keeping the flyaway battery cap firmly attached. First photo at http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec6.html

The Cateye TL-LD1000/1100 were good lamps in their day, the best rear lamps in the world for a decade, but are now outshone by the lamp below it in my pic, BUMMs Toplight Line rear lamp with the Linetec technology. See the link for a demo. The only justification for keeping them on the bike is that they flash. I don't use mine any more because they aren't all that visible in the light of BUMM's Linetec lamp.

Andre Jute
Genius shining bright