Buying a road bike - advice?

Old September 5th 03, 08:34 PM
Canucklehead

Default Buying a road bike - advice?

Just completed my first century on an old mountain bike. Loved the whole
experience (except perhaps some of the hill climbs during training - too
hard on an old guy) - and want to do more riding. I am looking at doing
a few centuries next year, but promised myself I would get a 'proper'
bike first. So, I would appreciate some advice on what to look for.

I am not going to be doing any racing, just enjoy long rides a couple
times a week - nothing competitive. I'm a big guy - 6'2" and 230lbs (but
slimming down ;-)). If this means anything.

Many questions ... alum vs steel vs carbon frame? Triple recommended?
Looked at Trek, Lemond, Klein and was interested in the Scattante (on
Supergo website). Components - SHimano 105? Ultegra? does it matter?
Would you buy a bike on the web?

Suggestions & recommendations greatly appreciated.

Old September 5th 03, 09:31 PM
Sorni

"Canucklehead" wrote in message
Just completed my first century on an old mountain bike. Loved the whole
experience (except perhaps some of the hill climbs during training - too
hard on an old guy) - and want to do more riding. I am looking at doing
a few centuries next year, but promised myself I would get a 'proper'
bike first. So, I would appreciate some advice on what to look for.

I am not going to be doing any racing, just enjoy long rides a couple
times a week - nothing competitive. I'm a big guy - 6'2" and 230lbs (but
slimming down ;-)). If this means anything.

Many questions ... alum vs steel vs carbon frame? Triple recommended?
Looked at Trek, Lemond, Klein and was interested in the Scattante (on
Supergo website). Components - SHimano 105? Ultegra? does it matter?
Would you buy a bike on the web?

A lot depends on your price range. $400? $1400?? $2400???

I wouldn't buy my FIRST road bike off a website; how do you know if it fits
or how it rides or how well it's been assembled?

I suggest you go to a local bike shop (or 2 or 3) and ride different models.
Something will emerge as your next obsession in short order

Bill "congrats on the century, btw" S.

PS: Since you're used to a mtb, you *might* like sticking with a triple. I
did (Klein Q-carbon Team), and although I seldom resort to the granny (so
far), it's nice to have for those tortuous climbs up which my friends drag
me occasionally. Have fun shopping!

Old September 5th 03, 11:52 PM
Canucklehead

Thanks for your feedback Sorni. Yes, price range would help. My budget
(as my better half has informed me) is around $1500. You are probably
right - I will shop locally and try out some different bikes. How do you
like your Klein by the way? I was looking at those at the local bike
shop and they certainly look good - however I didn't get a chance to
take one for a spin.

Old September 6th 03, 02:42 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 05:24:44 +0950, Canucklehead wrote:

Just completed my first century on an old mountain bike.

That takes some work!

I am not going to be doing any racing, just enjoy long rides a couple
times a week - nothing competitive. I'm a big guy - 6'2" and 230lbs (but
slimming down ;-)). If this means anything.

Not really. But you do need to be concerned about getting a proper fit --
at any height/weight. But at your height, a properly-fitting bike will be
harder to find, and many stores will just try to sell you their "large".

Many questions ... alum vs steel vs carbon frame? Triple recommended?

You are not a 150lb 20 year old, so you really don't need a 17lb bike that
will last those kids 2 years. Get something sturdy. Some aluminum bikes
last a long time. Some don't. Same with any material. Personally, I
would suggest either steel or titanium for you. ti seems pricey, but Mark
Hickey sells nice frames for $695. I have one of his bikes and love it.

I would probably avoid a carbon bike for durability reasons, if I were
you. I avoid them for myself. Also, don't get a bike with an all-carbon
fork. A carbon steerer tube is stupid-light for those of us north of 200
pounds.

Looked at Trek, Lemond, Klein and was interested in the Scattante (on
Supergo website). Components - SHimano 105? Ultegra? does it matter? Would
you buy a bike on the web?

Components don't matter all that much. Most out there are pretty darn
good. Wheels matter a lot. Avoid boutique wheels. I bought my Habanero
on the web (well, actually, through e-mail), but then I knew the size I
wanted. Do you? If you are the least unsure of your size requirements,
deal with a shop directly.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 6th 03, 05:06 AM
Mark Wolfe

What's your budget? I'd stick with an LBS so you get proper fit. Sounds
like you want more of a touring setup. Yes, get a triple, you are going
to wear down faster than the hills. I prefer my all steel Paramount over
my Aluminum/carbon fork Cannondale. Frame materials aside though, get
something with a good set of wheels, 32-36 hole. As for components, most
will work just fine, however you can tell a difference in quality. My Dale
is 105 and the Paramount is DA, the DA group seems to be alot crisper
shifting. If money is no problem, and you love riding check out these
guys:
http://www.rivendellbicycles.com Actually check them out anyway, lots
of good info on bike fit, etc..

Good luck

Canucklehead wrote:

Just completed my first century on an old mountain bike. Loved the whole
experience (except perhaps some of the hill climbs during training - too
hard on an old guy) - and want to do more riding. I am looking at doing
a few centuries next year, but promised myself I would get a 'proper'
bike first. So, I would appreciate some advice on what to look for.

I am not going to be doing any racing, just enjoy long rides a couple
times a week - nothing competitive. I'm a big guy - 6'2" and 230lbs (but
slimming down ;-)). If this means anything.

Many questions ... alum vs steel vs carbon frame? Triple recommended?
Looked at Trek, Lemond, Klein and was interested in the Scattante (on
Supergo website). Components - SHimano 105? Ultegra? does it matter?
Would you buy a bike on the web?

Suggestions & recommendations greatly appreciated.

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
Old September 6th 03, 05:19 AM
Sorni

"Canucklehead" wrote in message
Thanks for your feedback Sorni. Yes, price range would help. My budget
(as my better half has informed me) is around $1500. You are probably
right - I will shop locally and try out some different bikes. How do you
like your Klein by the way? I was looking at those at the local bike
shop and they certainly look good - however I didn't get a chance to
take one for a spin.

My budget was around $1200. Test rode some nice steel bikes (Fuji, Jamis,
etc.) w/mostly 105 group; all seemed a bit harsh to me.

Next thing you know I'm checking out the Lemond Ti model that was on special
for $1999 (no better half to obey -- but found the Klein Q-carbons
equally smooth (and better fit). 105 bike was around $1100 IIRC; "Team"
(full Ultegra w/nice Bonty Racelite wheelset) was sale-priced @ $1849.

*HOWEVER*, it had a nasty chip in that gorgeous Klein paint job (right on
top tube, too), so I ended up offering 'em $1600 (forgoing the "free
accessories" usually included with a new bike). Bought pedals and shoes
(and other stuff) from the store, so they made out pretty well as well...

What was the question?

Oh, I love the bike. Did a ~70-miler on Labor Day, and was pretty darned
comfortable the whole way (save for a little butt soreness toward the "end",
so to speak).

Now if I could just get some of my buddies to do more road rides! (We've
all been mtb-ers for years.)

Bill "dirt or pavement tomorrow morning?" S.

Old September 6th 03, 05:32 AM
Mark Wolfe

Looks like you're in San Diego too. There are quite a few rides going on
during the weekends here.

Sorni wrote:

[...]

"Even more amazing was the realization that God has Internet access. I
wonder if He has a full newsfeed?"
(By Matt Welsh)
Old September 6th 03, 05:59 AM
Sorni

"Mark Wolfe" wrote in message

Looks like you're in San Diego too. There are quite a few rides going on
during the weekends here.

Your website scares me.

Bill "running XP and wants to click the 'ruination' link" S.

Old September 6th 03, 08:47 AM
Mark Wolfe

Just removed that old help protocol problem. Figured after this
blaster outbreak people would get enough of a clue. Maybe, maybe not.
Anyway, if you like the page, check out
http://www.wolfenet.org/gallery/Bikes The new (1990) Paramount is on
pages 6 and 7.

Sorni wrote:

"Mark Wolfe" wrote in message

Looks like you're in San Diego too. There are quite a few rides going

on
during the weekends here.

Your website scares me.

Bill "running XP and wants to click the 'ruination' link" S.

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
God gave man two ears and one tongue so that we listen twice as much as
we speak.
-- Arab proverb
Old September 6th 03, 11:57 AM
Harris

"Canucklehead" wrote:
Just completed my first century on an old mountain bike. Loved the
whole experience (except perhaps some of the hill climbs during training -

too
hard on an old guy) - and want to do more riding. I am looking at doing
a few centuries next year, but promised myself I would get a 'proper'
bike first.

Good idea. Doing centuries on an MTB must be murder!

I am not going to be doing any racing, just enjoy long rides a couple
times a week - nothing competitive. I'm a big guy - 6'2" and 230lbs (but
slimming down ;-)). If this means anything.

Many questions ... alum vs steel vs carbon frame? Triple recommended?
Looked at Trek, Lemond, Klein and was interested in the Scattante (on
Supergo website). Components - SHimano 105? Ultegra? does it matter?
Would you buy a bike on the web?

Frame material should *not* be the first consideration. Good (or bad) frames
can be made from any of those materials.

Look for a bike that's appropriate for the kind of riding you want to do.
Since you're interested in doing long rides, but not racing, comfort and
proper fit should be high on your list.

As a first time road bike buyer, buying a bike online is not a good idea. Go
to a few bike shops and test ride a some bikes. Look for bikes with enough
frame/brake clearance to accept a 700 x 28 tire. Make sure the bars are high
enough for long-distance comfort, and that the stem has the proper extension
(not too stretched out). Shimano 105 probably gives the most bang for the
buck. If you do hills and have difficulty with them, get a triple. The cost
difference is negligible, and it's nice to have that granny gear even if you
rarely use it. As a big guy, you should avoid "stupid light" frames and
wheels.

Art Harris