B-Tension adjustment on Shimano derailer doesn't change angle

Old September 8th 03, 11:53 PM
DiabloScott

Default B-Tension adjustment on Shimano derailer doesn't change angle

Dan Musicant wrote:
To me it appears that the rear changer is not vertical but tilted so
that the bottom is closer to the wheel than the top.The angle off
vertical I'd estimate at 3 degrees. I have tried changing this angle to
acheive vertical with the "B Tension" adjustment screw on the Shimano
rear derailer. However, from the tightest adjustment to the loosest I
detect no effect on the aforementioned angle. Am I wrong in thinking
that this adjustment screw affects that angle? What am I missing?
Thanks for any help.
Dan

Yes, you're wrong - the B screw changes the gap between the top of the
jockey pulley and the bottom of the cogs - you usually need to adjust it
when you're changing to a cassette with different gearing. There are no
adjustments to the angle the derailleur cage makes with the vertical -
except for bending.

--
Check out my bike blog!

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Old September 9th 03, 03:37 AM
Lewis Campbell

It sounds like to me, that from your description, you may need the
derailleur hanger bracket aligned.

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

***********************

Old September 9th 03, 04:44 PM
Dan Musicant

On 9 Sep 2003 08:43:05 +0950, DiabloScott
wrote:

an Musicant wrote:
: To me it appears that the rear changer is not vertical but tilted so
: that the bottom is closer to the wheel than the top.The angle off
: vertical I'd estimate at 3 degrees. I have tried changing this angle to
: acheive vertical with the "B Tension" adjustment screw on the Shimano
: rear derailer. However, from the tightest adjustment to the loosest I
: detect no effect on the aforementioned angle. Am I wrong in thinking
: that this adjustment screw affects that angle? What am I missing?
: Thanks for any help.
: Dan
:
:
:
:Yes, you're wrong - the B screw changes the gap between the top of the
:jockey pulley and the bottom of the cogs - you usually need to adjust it
:when you're changing to a cassette with different gearing. There are no
:adjustments to the angle the derailleur cage makes with the vertical -
:except for bending.

Yep. I figured I had the wrong concept. Thanks, and to Mike too! I will
make the angle adjustment with a large crescent wrench, and carefully so
as not to hurt any threads. I figure the pullies should dangle vertical
to the ground, no?

Dan

Old September 9th 03, 06:23 PM
Michael Dart

wrote:

an Musicant wrote:
[...]

Yes, more correctly parallel to the rear wheel (assuming properly dished and
true). Which is what the derailleur alignment gauge checks for. If you are
in good with your LBS it shouldn't cost much to have it sorted out. I have
my own tool because I have a downhill bike that gets bent frequently and I
can't be arse'd with going to the LBS every time.

Mike

Old September 11th 03, 03:16 PM
Dan Musicant

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:23:50 -0400, "Michael Dart"
wrote:

:
.. .
: wrote:
:
: an Musicant wrote:
: : To me it appears that the rear changer is not vertical but tilted so
: : that the bottom is closer to the wheel than the top.The angle off
: : vertical I'd estimate at 3 degrees. I have tried changing this angle
: : acheive vertical with the "B Tension" adjustment screw on the Shimano
: : rear derailer. However, from the tightest adjustment to the loosest I
: : detect no effect on the aforementioned angle. Am I wrong in thinking
: : that this adjustment screw affects that angle? What am I missing?
: : Thanks for any help.
: : Dan
: :
: :
: :
[...]
I wouldn't say I have a good working relationship with any LBS. I've
always done my own maintenance and repair but a lot of stuff I've never
done or done so infrequently that intervening years have blurred or
erased the knowledge I had to gain in order to do the job the time
before! I have a couple of books that discuss bike repair, but one is
almost 20 years old and the other has bike repair as a sub-theme. I
should maybe get another book. However, nowadays I can find out things
online, it has been pointed out.

Why would your downhill bike get bent frequently?

Downhill is the thing that scares me the most on a bike, easily. I'm a
very safe city rider, having sorted out the mischief, but downhill is
something that I figure is always dangerous. The only thing you can do,
other than be very alert and sensible in the way you ride, is to make
sure your equipment is OK as much as possible.

Dan