Minimum tire width for mass start races?

Old September 10th 03, 07:33 PM
Eric Lambi

Default Minimum tire width for mass start races?

Hello,

Another question about wheels. To maximize the aerodynamics of my new
LEW Palermo wheels, it behooves me to have a tire that is the same
width as my rim. Unfortunately, the makers of the LEW wheel chose to
design their wheels using a 17mm wide rim. Does anyone recommend
using an 18/19mm tire for mass start races? I was considering using
23mm rear/19mm front, but wanted some more knowledgable advice on
whether this was a bad idea. I would be grateful for any opinions.

BTW, I'm a smaller rider . . . 5'4", 130lbs.

Thanks!

Eric

Old September 11th 03, 05:01 AM
Tim McNamara

In a mass start race it matters not one whit whether your tires are
the same width as the rim. The aerodynamics of your wheels are
inconsequential in such events. Use a tire wide enough to prevent
pinch flats- a flat tire will make you a lot slower than an
infinitesimal increase in drag.
Old September 11th 03, 07:27 AM
Mike S.

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In a mass start race it matters not one whit whether your tires are
the same width as the rim. The aerodynamics of your wheels are
inconsequential in such events. Use a tire wide enough to prevent
pinch flats- a flat tire will make you a lot slower than an
infinitesimal increase in drag.

What you say is true, BUT the OP is 130#... I weigh 180# and wouldn't DREAM
of riding anything less than 23c tires. I had a pair of 19c Open Corsa CXs
for one ride. After the second pinch flat, I'd had enough.

I have a friend that's 130#, he can ride anything 'cause there's nothing to
him.

Different strokes for different folks...

Mike

Old September 11th 03, 02:07 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

eric- Another question about wheels. To maximize the aerodynamics of my new
LEW Palermo wheels, it behooves me to have a tire that is the same
width as my rim. BRBR

Mass start means aerodynamics mean mostly nada unless you are off the front or
off the back and then it means little.

I would say use a tire that will perform and get you to the finish line..like a
22/23 tire-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 11th 03, 02:26 PM
Eric Lambi

Tim McNamara wrote in message ...
In a mass start race it matters not one whit whether your tires are
the same width as the rim. The aerodynamics of your wheels are
inconsequential in such events. Use a tire wide enough to prevent
pinch flats- a flat tire will make you a lot slower than an
infinitesimal increase in drag.

Thanks for the post, but if I was planning on hanging out in the pack
for the entire race I wouldn't have bothered to buy these wheels. I'm
trying to figure out how to go as fast as possible once I'm out by
myself.
Old September 12th 03, 04:00 AM
Kraig Willett

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

I think you're micro-focusing on something that is inconsequential.

When do performance gains become consequential for you, Tim? 1%, 10%, 50%?
The number you give will help put your comments into a better perspective
for those reading.

For me, things become interesting in the 1-2% range - but then, I am a total
freak. I have some company in that regard, though.

FWIW, there is data that shows narrow tires can have lower rolling
resistance than wider tires. There is also data out there (on my website)
that shows the potential magnitude of the tire width effect on
aerodynamics - it isn't free to view, though.

--
==================
Kraig Willett

Old September 12th 03, 06:23 PM
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Kraig Willett" wrote:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

I think you're micro-focusing on something that is
inconsequential.

When do performance gains become consequential for you, Tim? 1%,
10%, 50%? The number you give will help put your comments into a
better perspective for those reading.

For me personally? Don't know when those gains become consequential-
I no longer race so performance is really not a personal issue any
more. OTOH I have a lot more fun on my bike than I did in the 10
years I raced and that's far more important to me. For me, nowadays,
"performance" is evaluated differently and "performance gains" are
more related to comfort and endurance than speed. I can ride 400 km
in about 18 hours without too much trouble, having gotten into doing
brevets this year. So the yardstick I use to evauate things currently
is different than it was.

When I was racing, performance gains would have been evaluated on a
cost-benefit basis. If a 1% gain cost $1000, I wouldn't have
bothered. For a 1% or 2% gain to have been worth chasing, I would
have had to have been convinced that I could not make any further
gains by doing something like losing weight or a better training
structure. Very few riders- and probably no non-professionals IMHO-
are anywhere near the upper limits of their potential fitness and
physical performance. IMHO it makes sense to maximize my fitness and
abilities- which is cheap- rather than spend beaucoup bucks on stuff
which will in all likelihood provide equivocal gains at best.

I see a lot of guys at bike races riding bikes that look like they
were cobbled together out of a dumpster who kick the asses of guys
riding $8,000 worth of wonderbike. Speed is not really for sale, and
neither is race smarts.
Old September 13th 03, 03:19 AM
Kraig Willett

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

Don't know when those gains become consequential-
I no longer race so performance is really not a personal issue any
more.

That pretty much sums it up for me - and the other people reading.

Thanks, Tim!

--
==================
Kraig Willett

Old September 14th 03, 06:18 AM
John Albergo

Eric Lambi wrote:

Hello,

Another question about wheels. To maximize the aerodynamics of my new
LEW Palermo wheels, it behooves me to have a tire that is the same
width as my rim. Unfortunately, the makers of the LEW wheel chose to
design their wheels using a 17mm wide rim. Does anyone recommend
using an 18/19mm tire for mass start races?

HOLY COW! They make 18mm? you could slice cheese with them! What do
they use for tubes - party balloons?