Shimano freehub body compatability

Old September 2nd 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
looking

Default Shimano freehub body compatability

A ring inside the freehub, Shimano 105 (FH-5501) snapped and the base
separated from the body. Interesting ride home wondering what that
wobble was, along with the chain flopping about while freewheeling.

I'm trying to avoid having to lace in a new hub by replacing just the
freehub body. I only had one Shimano hub in the parts bin and it came
off of a mountain bike. It looks wider. Is it correct to assume that
the mountain hub that I tried is probably 135mm, too wide for an old
12 speed alloy frame, but that a 130mm freehub body from that era
would be a suitable replacement?

-thanx
Old September 2nd 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/2/2018 9:22 AM, looking wrote:
A ring inside the freehub, Shimano 105 (FH-5501) snapped and the base
separated from the body. Interesting ride home wondering what that
wobble was, along with the chain flopping about while freewheeling.

I'm trying to avoid having to lace in a new hub by replacing just the
freehub body. I only had one Shimano hub in the parts bin and it came
off of a mountain bike. It looks wider. Is it correct to assume that
the mountain hub that I tried is probably 135mm, too wide for an old
12 speed alloy frame, but that a 130mm freehub body from that era
would be a suitable replacement?

They're sorta all of a type with a lot of small variances.
First off, overall length of HG bodies is evident between
six speed and the later 7+ speed versions. If it's not tall
enough to hold all your sprockets, stop right there.

The washer/shim/spacer underneath, between cassette body and
hub shell, varies a lot. You may need the one which came
with the donor cassette or the one on your hub now. Then
there are the outer seals around the cone which not only
vary but some are decidedly suicidal during removal.

So maybe probably and if not donor cassette bodies are found
on wrecked wheels behind your local LBS. Bodies of
not-Shimano brands are generally not going to fit.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 2nd 18, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
looking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 09:57:41 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 8-)

I wasn't clear in presenting the problem but you were clear answering:
the substitute freebody is NOT wider, it's taller.

Overall, I think I get it. There is a little more variation than you'd
want to deal with, but it's doable with patience and attention to the
details. Good.

all the best!
Old September 2nd 18, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/2/2018 3:25 PM, looking wrote:
[...]

If you have an assortment of Shimano brand cassette bodies
handy either new (as we do) or used (take a chance) it's
very doable. Save your spare seals and spacers for future
use, there are a good number of both.

Old September 3rd 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-09-02 07:57, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/2/2018 9:22 AM, looking wrote:
A ring inside the freehub, Shimano 105 (FH-5501) snapped and the base
separated from the body. Interesting ride home wondering what that
wobble was, along with the chain flopping about while freewheeling.

I'm trying to avoid having to lace in a new hub by replacing just the
freehub body. I only had one Shimano hub in the parts bin and it came
off of a mountain bike. It looks wider. Is it correct to assume that
the mountain hub that I tried is probably 135mm, too wide for an old
12 speed alloy frame, but that a 130mm freehub body from that era
would be a suitable replacement?

They're sorta all of a type with a lot of small variances. First off,
overall length of HG bodies is evident between six speed and the later
7+ speed versions. If it's not tall enough to hold all your sprockets,
stop right there.

After not being able to find new UG hubs anymore I installed a Shimano
STX-RC on my road bike rear hub and slightly re-dished the wheel. Works.
Well, maybe for another 3000-5000mi, then I'll need the next one.

It barely fit the 126mm bike frame but it did fit. If it interferes with
the chainstay one can always grind off the outer sprocket so it becomes
a glorified spacer.

The washer/shim/spacer underneath, between cassette body and hub shell,
varies a lot. You may need the one which came with the donor cassette or
the one on your hub now. Then there are the outer seals around the cone
which not only vary but some are decidedly suicidal during removal.

So maybe probably and if not donor cassette bodies are found on wrecked
wheels behind your local LBS. Bodies of not-Shimano brands are generally
not going to fit.

Regarding the seals the salvaged ones didn't fit, of course. I kept some
of the leather from my old army boots that unfortunately had hardened
up. Cut out a matching size "leather washer", greased it up to the hilt
and jammed it in there. It seems to hold up well. I ride rain or shine
and the last axle lube didn't reveal any water ingress.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/