Which CHEAP clipless pedals?

Old March 10th 05, 07:24 PM
Bill H.

Default Which CHEAP clipless pedals?

I'm a beginning mountain biker. I ride a Gary Fisher Marlin (hardtail)
mostly on mildly technical singletrack and the occasional bike
path/city street. I ride just fun and fitness - I'm not a racer or
anything like that. I like to tweak as much performance from my bike
as I can, but I'm also poor (college student).

I decided to look into adding clipless pedals to my bike so I cruised
over to the Nashbar website. HOLY CRAP! They have a set of clipless
pedals for $20! I also noticed that there are some Shimano clipless
pedals (PD-M525) for about $30.

Bearing in mind that I still have to get some shoes to go with these,
which pedals will be the best value? I'm kind of tempted to get those
$20 Nashbars, but I'm wondering if the Shimano might not be a better
buy simply because of the brand name and possible warranty. I also
want something that will work with whatever shoes I end up getting.
And, of course, I've never ridden on clipless pedals before.

Also - these things come with cleats, right?

I'm trying to keep the total expense to around $100 or so (shoes and
pedals). Yeah, I know - the budget sucks. I can spend a little more,
I suppose, but remember - I have to EAT!

Anyhow, any recommendation on clipless pedals? I don't want something
that's crap - just basic, good performance. Weight isn't really a
priority, but price obviously is.

Here are some links to what I was talking about:

Nashbar Pedals -
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Shimano Pedals -
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I suppose the other option is to wait until I can afford some really
GOOD pedals and just stick with the stock platforms for now. That's
fine too, but I was hoping there'd be a good, cheap pedal that will
work for what I need and won't fall apart after two months.

Thanks for any input.

-Bill H.

Old March 10th 05, 07:42 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:24:27 -0800, Bill H. wrote:

I decided to look into adding clipless pedals to my bike so I cruised
over to the Nashbar website. HOLY CRAP! They have a set of clipless
pedals for $20! I also noticed that there are some Shimano clipless
pedals (PD-M525) for about $30.

I have these Nashbar clipless pedals and like them.

That is quite a good deal on the Shimanos, though.

Also - these things come with cleats, right?

Yes.

I'm trying to keep the total expense to around $100 or so (shoes and
pedals). Yeah, I know - the budget sucks.

I think this budget is tight but realistic. My advice would be to not buy
the shoes mail-order, so you can try them on.

Don't wait; buy now.

I can spend a little more, I suppose, but remember - I have to EAT!

Eating, shmeating. How are you gonna be a skinny biker dude if you eat all
the time?

Good luck,

Reid

Old March 10th 05, 08:00 PM
maxo

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:42:51 -0600, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:24:27 -0800, Bill H. wrote:

I decided to look into adding clipless pedals to my bike so I cruised
over to the Nashbar website. HOLY CRAP! They have a set of clipless
pedals for $20! I also noticed that there are some Shimano clipless
pedals (PD-M525) for about $30.

I have these Nashbar clipless pedals and like them.

That is quite a good deal on the Shimanos, though.

If you can get shimanos for 30--do it--the bearing are a lot nicer than
the Nashbars.

That particular model of Nashbar pedal isn't completely compatible with
standard spd cleats. Not a big deal--especially for 20 bucks, but fair
warning.

I ride these cheap Nashbars:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

and they're just fine. Again, the bearings could be smoother, but the
build quality is excellent. I got mine on sale for a twenty.

I've also bought shoes of the Nashbar house brand. They're actually
rebranded Lake cycling shoes. Lake/Nashbar shoes fit pretty darn true to
size in my experience if you feel like taking a chance. Perhaps slightly
narrow, so if you have a very wide foot, get the wide model.

Old March 10th 05, 08:14 PM
Rangersfan

"Bill H." wrote in message
ups.com...
Bearing in mind that I still have to get some shoes to go with these,
which pedals will be the best value? I'm kind of tempted to get those
$20 Nashbars, but I'm wondering if the Shimano might not be a better
buy simply because of the brand name and possible warranty. I also
want something that will work with whatever shoes I end up getting.
And, of course, I've never ridden on clipless pedals before.

Also - these things come with cleats, right?

New pedals at a bike store will always come with cleats, however used ones
on ebay do not always include cleats. I just picked up a pair of used
Shimano M-535s on ebay for $17, so that would be a great place to check if
you're looking for a good deal. You can also quite often find shoes on
ebay. You will probably want SPD type pedals and shoes, so just look for
SPD on both the pedals and shoes and you'll do fine. I have a pair of
Answer Impact shoes. These are great shoes for the price and would be
perfect for mountain biking. They are much more comfortable than my last
pair and are not bad at all for walking. They will cost you around $100 in
a bike store, so this may be out of your price range, but IMO they are far
superior to anything cheaper in price.

Old March 10th 05, 08:25 PM
Fritz M

maxo wrote:
If you can get shimanos for 30--do it--the bearing are a lot nicer
than the Nashbars.

Agreed. I have Shimano SPD on one bike and Nashbar on another. Nashbar
works, but I like the Shimano much better.

RFM

Old March 10th 05, 09:18 PM
Dane Jackson

maxo wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:42:51 -0600, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:24:27 -0800, Bill H. wrote:

I decided to look into adding clipless pedals to my bike so I cruised
over to the Nashbar website. HOLY CRAP! They have a set of clipless
pedals for $20! I also noticed that there are some Shimano clipless
pedals (PD-M525) for about $30.

I have these Nashbar clipless pedals and like them.

That is quite a good deal on the Shimanos, though.

If you can get shimanos for 30--do it--the bearing are a lot nicer than
the Nashbars.

I'll chime in with some agreement. The M525 are good pedals, I think
I've put about ten thousand miles on them since my last pair of pedals
died. I would certainly go with the Shimano ones for $10 more.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Advertising is 85 percent confusion and 15 percent commission."
Old March 11th 05, 12:19 AM
RonSonic

On 10 Mar 2005 11:24:27 -0800, "Bill H." wrote:

I'm a beginning mountain biker. I ride a Gary Fisher Marlin (hardtail)
mostly on mildly technical singletrack and the occasional bike
path/city street. I ride just fun and fitness - I'm not a racer or
anything like that. I like to tweak as much performance from my bike
as I can, but I'm also poor (college student).

I decided to look into adding clipless pedals to my bike so I cruised
over to the Nashbar website. HOLY CRAP! They have a set of clipless
pedals for $20! I also noticed that there are some Shimano clipless
pedals (PD-M525) for about $30.

I bought a set of the M525 been working great for about 300 miles. I just bought
another set for another bike that I haven't put any miles on yet.

Bearing in mind that I still have to get some shoes to go with these,
which pedals will be the best value? I'm kind of tempted to get those
$20 Nashbars, but I'm wondering if the Shimano might not be a better
buy simply because of the brand name and possible warranty. I also
want something that will work with whatever shoes I end up getting.
And, of course, I've never ridden on clipless pedals before.

Also - these things come with cleats, right?

They do come with cleats. The cleats with the M525 do not have any float, so
they are a bit fussy to get just right.

The two hole SPD drilling is standard on all mountain shoes and pedals so that
isn't an issue.

I'm trying to keep the total expense to around $100 or so (shoes and
pedals). Yeah, I know - the budget sucks. I can spend a little more,
I suppose, but remember - I have to EAT!

Anyhow, any recommendation on clipless pedals? I don't want something
that's crap - just basic, good performance. Weight isn't really a
priority, but price obviously is.

The M525 worked well enough for me that I bought another pair, so of course I'm
going to recommend them.

Ron

Old March 11th 05, 12:40 AM
Gooserider

I run Performance Team mtb pedals and I have no complaints.

Old March 11th 05, 03:22 AM
Dan Daniel

wrote:

[...]

If you are willing to go to eBay, you can get the Shimano m520 pedals
for $30-40. They are actually a newer design than the 525. Very nice
pedal, standard SPD cleat with float, and holding up well for me.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/pedal/
Old March 11th 05, 07:02 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On 10 Mar 2005 11:24:27 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Bill H."
wrote:

I'm trying to keep the total expense to around $100 or so (shoes and
pedals). Yeah, I know - the budget sucks. I can spend a little more,
I suppose, but remember - I have to EAT!

Anyhow, any recommendation on clipless pedals? I don't want something
that's crap - just basic, good performance. Weight isn't really a
priority, but price obviously is.

this is one of those areas where you need to look for what works
for you, and ignore the price. i started with ritchies, and then
went for the wellgo clones, but neither one really had the float
my knees needed. last summer i bought a pair of speedplay frogs
and now i wondered why i waited for so long! it was worth the
extra money to have pedals that don't make my knees hurt.

the same goes for shoes. you probably won't find a pair that
comes close to comfortable for less than about $80, even on sale.
if you have wide feet, the problem is worse. i finally found a
pair of pearl izumis that were wide enough for somewhere around
$80 --- thank goodness since the only others reputed to be wide
enough were carnacs that cost about $100 more!

buying pedals and shoes that don't fit or don't work for you is
worse than buying none at all, because at least then you still
have some money. just find what fits best for you, and then
save the money if necessary; make your own lattes for a while,
give relatives large hints before birthday/holidays, or scrimp on
pizzas, or something.