Brooks B17 saddle

Old June 20th 05, 10:58 PM
Simon Brooke

Default Brooks B17 saddle

in message , Nick.
') wrote:

I have just bought a B17 on recommendation from a friend as a
replacement saddle for my Dawes Galaxy.

On getting home and taking a closer look at the saddle, I notice there
is a very sharp ridge, running along the boundary between the "seat"
and "vertical" areas of the saddle. This ridge is perhaps 0.5 - 1mm,
but sharp enough to cause a slight graze should you scrape it across
your skin. It looks like it could be quite painful on a ride.

This is obviously part of the leather moulding process,

No it ain't - or at least it shouldn't be.

but I would
like to know: Is it normal?

No it ain't. Should be completely smooth.

Will it ease out during the breaking-in
period, or is this a case of poor production? I.e. Should I fit it to
the bike & start applying Proofide

Absolutely not. Get it back to the supplier ASAP, and get a replacement.

Any comments from Brooks owners appreciated...

Happy owner of several Brooks saddles. All of which are smooth,
comfortable, and free from ridges sharp or otherwise.

;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

Brooks #5 Leather saddle Peter Techniques 2 April 25th 04 04:16 AM
Opinion on Brooks B17 Saddle Matt Cahill Techniques 16 October 7th 03 05:02 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
15,000 km on my Brooks saddle and it's not broken in yet? Keith Boone Techniques 9 August 15th 03 12:39 AM