Oh, thank you, helmet zealots!

Old March 23rd 14, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Oh, thank you, helmet zealots!

I just got back from my first bike ride to church. Wearing a helmet
when my hair is pinned up is impossible.

A Skid Lid would have been Gibson-compatible, and it would have
protected the parts of my head that hit the pavement when I fall off
my bike, but of course a Skid Lid is utterly useless when someone
happens to drop a wrench while one is riding under a bridge, therefore
it is far, far better that I ride with no protection at all.

Thank goodness zealots are looking out for my welfare!

--
Joy "Where's the popcorn" Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old March 24th 14, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 13:16:49 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I just got back from my first bike ride to church. Wearing a helmet
when my hair is pinned up is impossible.

A Skid Lid would have been Gibson-compatible, and it would have
protected the parts of my head that hit the pavement when I fall off
my bike, but of course a Skid Lid is utterly useless when someone
happens to drop a wrench while one is riding under a bridge, therefore
it is far, far better that I ride with no protection at all.

Thank goodness zealots are looking out for my welfare!

Is there a mandatory helmet law where you are? We here have a
mandatory helmet law for motorcycles but bicycles are free of the
foolishness. Too many Grannies pedaling to the market every morning
for the day's groceries.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 24th 14, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

I just got back from my first bike ride to church. Wearing a helmet
when my hair is pinned up is impossible.

A Skid Lid would have been Gibson-compatible, and it would have
protected the parts of my head that hit the pavement when I fall off
my bike, but of course a Skid Lid is utterly useless when someone
happens to drop a wrench while one is riding under a bridge, therefore
it is far, far better that I ride with no protection at all.

Thank goodness zealots are looking out for my welfare!

Is there a mandatory helmet law where you are? We here have a
mandatory helmet law for motorcycles but bicycles are free of the
foolishness. Too many Grannies pedaling to the market every morning
for the day's groceries.

As an addendum to my above, don't women normally wear a hat, or other
head covering, when they enter a church? I seem to remember that it
was the practice at one time.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 24th 14, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_3_]

On 3/23/2014 1:16 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I just got back from my first bike ride to church. Wearing a helmet
when my hair is pinned up is impossible.

A Skid Lid would have been Gibson-compatible, and it would have
protected the parts of my head that hit the pavement when I fall off
my bike, but of course a Skid Lid is utterly useless when someone
happens to drop a wrench while one is riding under a bridge, therefore
it is far, far better that I ride with no protection at all.

Did someone tell you that you needed to wear a helmet on your way to church?

Thank goodness zealots are looking out for my welfare!

In my experience zealots of any stripe are typically not looking out for
the welfare of anything but their own religion.

Glad to see that your back on the bike plan is working out. Keep on
trucking.

Old March 25th 14, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/23/2014 11:34 PM, John B. wrote:

As an addendum to my above, don't women normally wear a hat, or other
head covering, when they enter a church? I seem to remember that it
was the practice at one time.

That practice went away long ago. From what I see - which is Roman
Catholic practice - most "church" clothes are almost indistinguishable
from, say, going-to-the-basketball-game clothes.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 25th 14, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 23:25:16 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/23/2014 11:34 PM, John B. wrote:

As an addendum to my above, don't women normally wear a hat, or other
head covering, when they enter a church? I seem to remember that it
was the practice at one time.

That practice went away long ago. From what I see - which is Roman
Catholic practice - most "church" clothes are almost indistinguishable
from, say, going-to-the-basketball-game clothes.

I was depending largely on very youthful reminiscence and I remember
that my mother always wore a hat to church.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 25th 14, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

On 3/23/2014 11:34 PM, John B. wrote:

As an addendum to my above, don't women normally wear a hat, or other
head covering, when they enter a church? I seem to remember that it
was the practice at one time.

That practice went away long ago. From what I see - which is Roman
Catholic practice - most "church" clothes are almost indistinguishable
from, say, going-to-the-basketball-game clothes.

I was depending largely on very youthful reminiscence and I remember
that my mother always wore a hat to church.

Mine did too but then again the masses were in Latin then. Frank's
right, it ain't like that no more.
Old March 26th 14, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On 3/23/2014 11:34 PM, John B. wrote:

As an addendum to my above, don't women normally wear a hat, or other
head covering, when they enter a church? I seem to remember that it
was the practice at one time.

That practice went away long ago. From what I see - which is Roman
Catholic practice - most "church" clothes are almost indistinguishable
from, say, going-to-the-basketball-game clothes.

I was depending largely on very youthful reminiscence and I remember
that my mother always wore a hat to church.

Mine did too but then again the masses were in Latin then. Frank's
right, it ain't like that no more.

I had a good friend who had attended mass in every major cathedral in
Western Europe. He said that when the mass was in Latin he could
follow right along but after they changed to the vernacular they were
incomprehensible.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 27th 14, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

On 3/23/2014 11:34 PM, John B. wrote:

As an addendum to my above, don't women normally wear a hat, or other
head covering, when they enter a church? I seem to remember that it
was the practice at one time.

That practice went away long ago. From what I see - which is Roman
Catholic practice - most "church" clothes are almost indistinguishable
from, say, going-to-the-basketball-game clothes.

I was depending largely on very youthful reminiscence and I remember
that my mother always wore a hat to church.

Mine did too but then again the masses were in Latin then. Frank's
right, it ain't like that no more.

I had a good friend who had attended mass in every major cathedral in
Western Europe. He said that when the mass was in Latin he could
follow right along but after they changed to the vernacular they were
incomprehensible.

Not to **** off anyone or offend their sensibilities but once you can
understand what they are saying it really IS incomprehensible. Growing
up in a catholic family left me with very little tolerance for religion
or zealots of any stripe.
Old March 28th 14, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/27/2014 9:14 AM, Duane wrote:

Not to **** off anyone or offend their sensibilities but once you can
understand what they are saying it really IS incomprehensible. Growing
up in a catholic family left me with very little tolerance for religion
or zealots of any stripe.

I remain amazed that anyone thinks their God (or any god) would be
comprehensible.

We don't expect our goldfish to really understand us. Why would we
expect to really understand God?

--
- Frank Krygowski

The idée fixe of the anti-helmet zealots, the vehicular cyclists, etc Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 335 January 8th 14 06:16 PM
Krygo lashes out at insufficiently gung-ho anti-helmet zealots Andre Jute[_2_] Rides 0 August 31st 10 01:21 AM
The most common errors by the Anti-Helmet Zealots about the New Yorkstudy of bicycling fatalities and serious injuries Andre Jute[_2_] General 1 August 27th 10 12:06 AM
Zealots Doki UK 402 January 21st 07 12:26 AM
Holy Rollers: New York's Bicycling Zealots Mike Kruger General 0 November 12th 06 01:24 AM