A few months waxing chain

Old November 30th 18, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Default A few months waxing chain

Hello all,

A couple of months have passed since I switched to wax for chain
lubrication. I would estimate I rode about 3,000 kilometers with my
chain (cleaning it and lubricating it four times, I think), a point at
which I usually start measuring at least some elongation.

In this case, I cannot measure any. 10 links span 254 mm ± .3 mm, so
that is less than 1 ‰ of elongation. My chain is a good as new. As an
additional bonus, my entire drivetrain has never been that clean!

Unfortunately, when I switched to chain waxing, I also changed from
Shimano chains to a KMC 9.73 one, so I cannot assert that waxing
is good for chain wear, only that either it is, or KMC chains are very
resistant, or both.

Anyway, now I think I will soon be at the point where I will have to
replace my cassette that is starting to be a bit worn, without changing
the chain that is still as good as new!

--
Tanguy
Old November 30th 18, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 4:55:08 AM UTC-8, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

My experience has been that chain waxes give you a far cleaner chain for a long time and the chain is usually quiet but the wear is fairly fast. And it leaves that impenetrable black muck on the cassette and chain rings which is very difficult to remove.

Rock and Roll Gold appears to me to work the best as long as you follow the directions completely - including the leaving it dry overnight.

KMC chains - the upper level ones like the Silver and Gold - wear very well but are significantly heavier.
Old November 30th 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/30/2018 7:55 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

Did you use pure paraffin wax, or did you add any oil to the melted wax?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 1st 18, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
[...]

My experience has been that chain lube made from a mix of wax and oil
(about 50/50, solid at room temperature) and applied as a hot bath
(liquid), gives you a cleaner chain for a long time and the chain runs
quiet and the wear rate is fairly low.

And it leaves minimal muck on the drive components, that is easy to remove.

As I can make my lubricant from a few paraffin candles and some gear
oil, it is very cheap indeed, and you only use what sticks to the chain
when you remove the chain from the hot lubricant.

KMC chains are better or worse? You decide
https://www.cantitoeroad.com/assets/images/products/docs/connex_by_wippermann/Chainwear_Test_10_Speed_10-JUN-2010.pdf

--
JS
Old December 1st 18, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:
[...]

I've been using a mix of paraffin and a light grease containing
Molybdenum disulfide. I added a bit of bee's wax thinking it might
make the mixture a bit more pliable but I'm not sure that is
necessary.

As paraffin is soluble in benzene I suppose that one could brew up a
liquid batch, with benzene, and squirt it on with an oil can but
dunking the chain in an electrical pot full of paraffin seems so much
easier :-)

The other nice thing is that a pot full lasts for years. One doesn't
have to worry about running short and much cheaper then the
proprietary blends too :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 1st 18, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 1/12/18 12:28 pm, John B. slocomb wrote:

I've been using a mix of paraffin and a light grease containing
Molybdenum disulfide. I added a bit of bee's wax thinking it might
make the mixture a bit more pliable but I'm not sure that is
necessary.

As paraffin is soluble in benzene I suppose that one could brew up a
liquid batch, with benzene, and squirt it on with an oil can but
dunking the chain in an electrical pot full of paraffin seems so much
easier :-)

The other nice thing is that a pot full lasts for years. One doesn't
have to worry about running short and much cheaper then the
proprietary blends too :-)

I'm beginning to think it is more constructive to point and laugh at
people who spend a lot for a little bottle of mostly solvent and a
fraction of lubricant.

--
JS
Old December 1st 18, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 16:56:00 +1100, James
wrote:

On 1/12/18 12:28 pm, John B. slocomb wrote:

I've been using a mix of paraffin and a light grease containing
Molybdenum disulfide. I added a bit of bee's wax thinking it might
make the mixture a bit more pliable but I'm not sure that is
necessary.

As paraffin is soluble in benzene I suppose that one could brew up a
liquid batch, with benzene, and squirt it on with an oil can but
dunking the chain in an electrical pot full of paraffin seems so much
easier :-)

The other nice thing is that a pot full lasts for years. One doesn't
have to worry about running short and much cheaper then the
proprietary blends too :-)

I'm beginning to think it is more constructive to point and laugh at
people who spend a lot for a little bottle of mostly solvent and a
fraction of lubricant.

Ah but... they are using the absolute best chain lube available...
just ask them :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 1st 18, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Ask anyone and they'll tell you they're using the absolute best chain lube
available. :-)

Old December 1st 18, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

And the best bicycle and the best chain and the best lights and, and,
and :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 1st 18, 11:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Frank Krygowski, 2018-11-30 18:11+0100:
Did you use pure paraffin wax, or did you add any oil to the melted wax?

About 2/3 paraffin wax and 1/3 paraffin oil.

--
Tanguy