Bike Sheltesrs / Compounds

Old March 7th 05, 03:23 AM
daNo

Default Bike Sheltesrs / Compounds

Hello,

I am trying to coordinate a bike movement at my university. I have a
deadline of April 1 to bring a report to the Administration regarding
what sorts of things bikers would recommend as infrastructure.

I need your help.

I need pictures / web links to examples of working bike co-ops, bike
compounds, or outdoor bike shelters. Pictures would be super great.
Any steps to achieving these, including how much they cost (generally)
would greatly help. Examples (and pictures) of cities that have
implemented things like bike lanes, bike paths, yellow (shared) bike
programs, or statistics on what proportion of a population uses the
infrastructure would be a bonus.

I would appreciate any feedback. Best thing to do would either be to
reply here or to the email address uofmcyclists at gmail dot com.

Daniel

Old March 7th 05, 06:45 PM
Bill H.

Daniel,

I'd recommend a trip to your campus library. There is a ton of
research information available on bicycling, and you'll learn more and
be more convincing if you actually gather the data yourself.
AcademicSearch, ProQuest, Lexis-Nexis and just about any academic
database can probably help.

Also, talk to riders at your school and local clubs, bicycle shops,
etc. Conduct a few surveys of students. Is there a bicycle club at
your school?

Good luck.

-Bill H.

Old March 8th 05, 01:07 AM
daNo

Hey Bill,

There is no cycling organization at my school. I have actually just
created one a month ago with the ultimate goal of providing such a
service to our students. But we need more information. I have already
found next to nothing in our library's database of information after
searching for 2 hours, but I am going to go and talk to someone who is
more familiar with our database system.

Surveys are another thing that we would like to do, and are in the
process of trying to write. We have a google group set up to try and
rally the troops:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/umca/

I am really looking for examples (pictures) of other academic
institutions and what they are doing, or what some progressive
communities are doing as well. I actually just found an interesting
website yesterday:
http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/

Hope this helps other people as well. Im still eager to find out all I
can from other people. Please ignore my spelling mistake in the title
and respond! .

Old March 8th 05, 03:11 AM
Mike Kruger

"daNo" wrote in message
ups.com...

I am really looking for examples (pictures) of other

academic
institutions and what they are doing, or what some

progressive
communities are doing as well. I actually just found an

interesting
website yesterday:
http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/

You might contact these guys at UIC. They've been active
locally and have some member employment at the Chicagoland
Bicycle Federation so they may have some facilities
experience.
http://www2.uic.edu/stud_orgs/leisure/ccc/

Old March 8th 05, 03:45 AM
Claire Petersky

"daNo" wrote in message
ups.com...

If you're interested in bicycle parking, you might want to look at the
Bicycle Alliance's site at:
http://www.bicyclealliance.org/commute/index.html

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old March 8th 05, 06:23 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:45:42 -0800, ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"daNo" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you're interested in bicycle parking, you might want to look at the
Bicycle Alliance's site at:
http://www.bicyclealliance.org/commute/index.html

I'm getting finicky about bicycle parking. We've got a new style bike
rack appearing around town. They're a take-off on the standard
"coat-hanger" type with a higher horizontal bar and a larger, deeper,
squared-off, "coat hanger". They work quite well but have a placard
mount for advertising.

My gripe with racks is that they're seldom covered which is stupid in
this climate. Worse though is that there's rarely, if ever, a place
for setting your packages while loading panniers and unlocking your
bike. You end up putting your purchases on the ground which is wet.

And on top of it all, I'd like to see something more aesthetically
considerate than what's presently offered in even the best situations.
--
zk

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM