Bike theft

Old September 26th 08, 03:32 PM
twofourfour twofourfour is offline
Junior Member

Default Bike theft

Hey chaps,

I'm a student at Glasgow school of art currently working on a project to design a new way of securing a bike against theft.

I was hoping you could post a few stories if you had a bike that was stolen and what you were using to secure it at the time and if you now use a new way of securing it?

Or maybe you think you've devised a thief proof way of securing your bike.

Thanks in advance
Old September 26th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX

:::
::
:: I'm not falling for this again.
:: This is how Al Gore stole the internet from me.

So, how did you get it back?

Old September 26th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®

--
twofourfour

You are talkig about a battle that has been waged for a thousand years with
no end in sight. How do you prevent evil? I'd like to know.

OK, the best way to theft proof your bike - don't lock it up and keep it
with you at all times.

Old September 27th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

OK, the best way to theft proof your bike - don't lock it up and keep it
with you at all times.- Hide quoted text -

That said, I wonder how many people here do that? For example, cycle
to the grocery store to buy bread for tonight's pasta supper and
bananas for tomorrow's breakfast, and bring the bike in to the store
with them.

If anybody has done that, what's the typical reaction.?

Cullen
Old September 27th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
twofourfour writes:

Hey chaps,

I'm a student at Glasgow school of art currently working on a project
to design a new way of securing a bike against theft.

I was hoping you could post a few stories if you had a bike that was
stolen and what you were using to secure it at the time and if you now
use a new way of securing it?

Or maybe you think you've devised a thief proof way of securing your
bike.

I can tell you this much: the best way to lose a bike to theft
is to be lax; to reason you won't be away from it for very long
so there's no reason to lock it. It'll be gone practically
before you can blink your eyelids.

No bicycle is theftproof, and a bicycle's vulnerability to
theft is a function of time. And if they can't steal it after
a certain period of time, they'll wreck/vandalise/moyderlize it.

I'm sure you could plot a graph about the likelihood of a
publicly parked bike over time either being stolen, or being
vandalised, with both likelihoods will have their own
respective lines.

There'll come a point where the lines intersect. If the
bike is oh-so-securely locked, over time the potential
vandalism line will supercede and shoot past the potential
theft line. Ya can't win.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 27th 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 26, 6:34*pm, " wrote:
OK, the best way to theft proof your bike - don't lock it up and keep it
with you at all times.- Hide quoted text -

That said, I wonder how many people here do that? For example, cycle
to the grocery store to buy bread for tonight's pasta supper and
bananas for tomorrow's breakfast, and bring the bike in to the store
with them.

If anybody has done that, what's the typical reaction.?

Cullen

Well, since you ask, I do this on a regular basis and have been for
more than 10 years.

The local Albertsons store (in Benbrook TX) has never made me feel
anything less than WELCOME to shop in their store.

The local Brookshires store went through a 'stupid' phase, soon after
the Katrina hurricane, when they wouldn't let me shop there unless I
left my backpack in their office while I walked around the store.
This was because some of the evacuees that were being housed here had
been coming in with backpacks and, allegedly, hiding some food in
them.

In truth, Abertsons bananas always seem to be much better quality than
Brookshire's, so it was no loss to not be allowed in there.

Lewis.

*****

Old September 27th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
WWS

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:
"twofourfour" wrote in message

Hey chaps,

I'm a student at Glasgow school of art currently working on a project
to design a new way of securing a bike against theft.

I was hoping you could post a few stories if you had a bike that was
stolen and what you were using to secure it at the time and if you
now use a new way of securing it?

Or maybe you think you've devised a thief proof way of securing your
bike.

Thanks in advance

--
twofourfour

You are talkig about a battle that has been waged for a thousand
years with no end in sight. How do you prevent evil? I'd like to
know.

OK, the best way to theft proof your bike - don't lock it up and keep
it with you at all times.

I would think an exploding dyepack like banks use would be amusing.
Little black box, blinking red light.......
Oh yeah, put some tear gas in there too.

Old September 27th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Sep 26, 10:32 pm, twofourfour
wrote:
Hey chaps,

I'm a student at Glasgow school of art currently working on a project
to design a new way of securing a bike against theft.

I was hoping you could post a few stories if you had a bike that was
stolen and what you were using to secure it at the time and if you now
use a new way of securing it?

Or maybe you think you've devised a thief proof way of securing your
bike.

Thanks in advance

--
twofourfour

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

I've only had bikes stolen where I neglected to lock to *something*,
like a few years ago when I lost a favorite bike that I left on the
back porch for a "minute" locked to itself--I forgot it overnight, and
I've lost a couple in Gothenburg to those idiotic European integrated
locks that I used in front of the shops.

So using the above strategy, purchase whatever level of strength of u-
lock that your town's thieves are intimidated by, and hope for the
best. Mine are thwarted by a Pitbull mini with a length of extra cable
for accessories.

Mind--if you ride a nice enough bike--any lock can be opened, it's
just a matter of time and patience.
Old October 1st 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Király

twofourfour wrote:

Hey chaps,

I'm a student at Glasgow school of art currently working on a project
to design a new way of securing a bike against theft.

I have been very lucky and have never had a bike stolen.

Well, one time I had a bike with a cracked frame. I had removed all the
components and had put the frame in the back yard for a few days,
waiting for the weekend when I could take it to the scrap yard for
recycling. Somebody stole it!

I usually lock my bike like this when I need to leave it unattended:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Bike theft .. with a twist cfsmtb Australia 2 July 18th 06 02:04 PM
research on bike theft? [email protected] General 43 March 24th 06 05:49 AM
Another bike theft Cliff UK 7 October 24th 05 12:27 AM
On bike theft Kit Wolf UK 1 September 28th 05 08:25 AM