"Share the road" signs -- who are we telling to share the road?

Old December 14th 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default "Share the road" signs -- who are we telling to share the road?

I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
(bicyclists or motorists).

Matt O.
Old December 14th 05, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Matt O'Toole wrote:

I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
(bicyclists or motorists).

Either way....
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old December 14th 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Matt O'Toole wrote:
I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
(bicyclists or motorists).

Matt O.

I believe they are directed towards the MV's.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

Old December 14th 05, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Neil Brooks wrote:
Matt O'Toole wrote:

I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
(bicyclists or motorists).

Either way....
--

Yes, that would seem to be what share means.

Old December 14th 05, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Matt O'Toole writes:

I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
(bicyclists or motorists).

Since they are one and the same, but live lives like Jekyll and Hyde,
they are to the same person in different disguise. Just the same, I
believe it is the Mr. Hyde who is being addressed. When in his car,
he believes his mission has greater importance than some jerk plying
with his bicycle on his highway. Some of these drivers even have a
couple of bicycles on their darkened window jacked up black SUV's.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/6.1.html

Jobst Brandt
Old December 15th 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:51:11 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:

I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
(bicyclists or motorists).

Either way....

And you think that's right?

Matt O.

Old December 15th 05, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Matt O'Toole wrote:

I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
(bicyclists or motorists).

Either way....

And you think that's right?

I'm ok with it.

Each really does need to watch for the other. Neither should rely on
the other to do all the accommodating ... despite the overwhelming
lethality of one relative to the other.

My $0.02
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old December 15th 05, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
news
I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
(bicyclists or motorists).

They are telling the other guy to share. I'm already perfect

Old December 15th 05, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Absolutly!!! I think the sign should show an overhead view of a car
following a bicycle between lanes stripes, solid right and dashed left,
sort of like a 'right lane ends' sign.

Old December 15th 05, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Here in South Cackalacky the signs are a bright day-glo chartruse, very
hard not to notice. I find drivers very courteous here. Then again, I do
most of my riding out on country roads. From what I hear from other
cyclists who are unfortunate enough to have to ride in the cities, it's
not as nice there.

Don't know myself SC cities are worse than in El Lay, but I see no
reason to find out either.

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Share the Road "business" cards [email protected] Social Issues 0 December 5th 05 03:00 AM
"Share the Road" Signs Jym Dyer Social Issues 11 July 17th 05 12:42 AM
Big Sur mcmiller General 2 May 15th 04 12:04 AM
Share The Road Ray Heindl General 2 July 16th 03 03:57 AM