Anybody have a Lighman strobe?

Old February 4th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Anybody have a Lighman strobe?

I have heard good things about the Lightman strobe, and I'm considering
getting one. The pics I've seen make the mounting arrangement unclear. I
cannot mount it on my seatpost, because I use a rack trunk which obscures
same. I currently mount a blinkie on my trunk's blinkie loop. Can the
Lightman be mounted the same way?

Mike

Old February 4th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I had two. One died immediately, the other has been going strong for 2
years. It comes with a variety of mounting devices including a a clip
that will work in the blinkie loop (at least mine did). It is
incredibly bright - I use it with the white shade on the front of my
recumbent (mine came with white and orange shades). I use rechargable
AAs and get about 1.5 hourse out of a charge. Aside from the 50%
failure rate, its good, but for the rear I would also look at LEDs
which are quite bright and should run longer per charge.

Mort

Old February 4th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

gooserider wrote:

I have heard good things about the Lightman strobe, and I'm considering
getting one. The pics I've seen make the mounting arrangement unclear. I
cannot mount it on my seatpost, because I use a rack trunk which obscures
same. I currently mount a blinkie on my trunk's blinkie loop. Can the
Lightman be mounted the same way?

Mike

The newer ones (as of about a year ago) are not as bright as the old ones
(say 3 years ago). The mounting kits seem to be variable, one having something
you could strap to a seat stay.

It's not bright enough in either case to notice in clear daylight. It's fine
in dark / cloudy conditions.

In all cases, the ``bolt'' is plastic and breaks immediately; and worse, it's
deliberate because the ``threads'' are also plastic and they want the bolt to
break first. You really have to tighten it to barely-tight-enough, which is not
very satisfying. (You can replace the bolt at the hardware store, but you then
have the threads problem.)

I use a single strobe between two solid-on LED taillights, the taillights serving to
localize the strobe and send a message what kind of thing it is up ahead.

There's as much importance to being intuitively recognizeable as what you are, as to
being noticed, which might just lead as quickly to being ignored like a motel sign.
--
Ron Hardin

Old February 4th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"gooserider" wrote:

I have heard good things about the Lightman strobe, and I'm considering
getting one. The pics I've seen make the mounting arrangement unclear. I
cannot mount it on my seatpost, because I use a rack trunk which obscures
same. I currently mount a blinkie on my trunk's blinkie loop. Can the
Lightman be mounted the same way?

I don't love mine, but I like it. While I probably need to
(immediately) start using rechargeable batteries with high capacity, I
find that it a) goes through batteries quickly (another post said
1.5hrs. I'd buy that), and b) the flash rate deteriorates quickly
over the latter part of that time ... leading ... at least me ... to
look back periodically, wondering if it's dead.

My other bike has a Cateye LED. It's a no-brainer. Bright,
consistent, multiple blink pattern options, and great battery life.

YMMV.
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old February 5th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Neil Brooks wrote:

I don't love mine, but I like it.

Ditto for me. After trying various mounting options I finally settled
on zip ties through a bracket mount that's so that it's facing rearward
from my messenger bag.

My Lightman Strobe has been reliable. It chews up the batteries pretty
quickly. I use the amber lens to emulate a construction zone or snow
plow.

RFM
http://www.cyclelicio.us/

Old February 5th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

gooserider wrote:
I have heard good things about the Lightman strobe, and I'm considering
getting one. The pics I've seen make the mounting arrangement unclear. I
cannot mount it on my seatpost, because I use a rack trunk which obscures
same. I currently mount a blinkie on my trunk's blinkie loop. Can the
Lightman be mounted the same way?

If you have a 12V system, you can use one of the Velleman strobes, see
"http://nordicgroup.us/s78/taillights.html" where I have pictures of it
mounted on my rear rack.