WHY are cyclists riding at night ?

Old October 7th 14, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default WHY are cyclists riding at night ?

On 10/6/2014 6:01 PM, Duane wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 16:23:57 -0400, Duane
wrote:

I wouldn't buy a dynamo either...

Even if it was a $15 option???? I would in a heartbeat at that kind
of price!!

Probably not. I don't have a need for any serious lighting. I'm sure
there are those that do and would appreciate that.

Yes, very few North Americans think they have no need for any serious
lighting on a bicycle. After all, they'd say, it's not a serious
vehicle, is it? To them, it's either a garage decoration or a fair
weather toy.

The more practical use one gets out of a bike, the more sense a dynamo
makes. Obviously, levels of practical use vary tremendously, with the
statistical mode being zero for North Americans.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 14, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

I wouldn't buy a dynamo either...

Even if it was a $15 option???? I would in a heartbeat at that kind

of price!!

Probably not. I don't have a need for any serious lighting. I'm sure

there are those that do and would appreciate that.

Yes, very few North Americans think they have no need for any serious

lighting on a bicycle. After all, they'd say, it's not a serious

vehicle, is it? To them, it's either a garage decoration or a fair

weather toy.

The more practical use one gets out of a bike, the more sense a dynamo

makes. Obviously, levels of practical use vary tremendously, with the

statistical mode being zero for North Americans.

--

- Frank Krygowski

In fair weather at night I see many "serious" bicycle commuters/riders who wear dark colour clothing, have no reflectors or lights of any kind and who often seem to just appear on the dark section of the road as if they've popped in via a time warp or some portal. It can be quite startling to tthe rider who nearly hits them.

What gets me is that here in Ontario it's illegal to ride s bicycle at night without at least reflectors if not lights. Then again it's also illegal to sell a bicycle that doesn't have reflectors. Plus, it's also illegal to ride a bicycle that doesn't have brakes. The peoblem seems to be that the laws aren't enforced anyway unless the cop is in a bad mood.

Cheers
Old October 7th 14, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

I wouldn't buy a dynamo either...

Even if it was a $15 option???? I would in a heartbeat at that kind

of price!!

Probably not. I don't have a need for any serious lighting. I'm sure

there are those that do and would appreciate that.

Yes, very few North Americans think they have no need for any serious

lighting on a bicycle. After all, they'd say, it's not a serious

vehicle, is it? To them, it's either a garage decoration or a fair

weather toy.

The more practical use one gets out of a bike, the more sense a dynamo

makes. Obviously, levels of practical use vary tremendously, with the

statistical mode being zero for North Americans.

--

- Frank Krygowski

Practical varies amongst people. For me practical is a decent battery powered light that I can use on any of my bikes whenever I want. A dynamo isn't pratical if it's on one bike but I want to use a different bike that night. I've had my Rover II for many years now and have never had it malfunction nor die on even multi-hours long night rides.

Cheers
Old October 7th 14, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

I wouldn't buy a dynamo either...
Even if it was a $15 option???? I would in a heartbeat at that kind
of price!!

Probably not. I don't have a need for any serious lighting. I'm sure
there are those that do and would appreciate that.

Yes, very few North Americans think they have no need for any serious
lighting on a bicycle. After all, they'd say, it's not a serious vehicle,
is it? To them, it's either a garage decoration or a fair weather toy.

You're putting words in my mouth again. So you plan to endlessly quote me
as saying that as well?
I bet I get more clicks on my fair weather toy than you do on whatever
sensible tool you wander around on. You have a lot of cheek don't you?

The more practical use one gets out of a bike, the more sense a dynamo
makes. Obviously, levels of practical use vary tremendously, with the
statistical mode being zero for North Americans.

You're as arrogant as you are annoying.. Some cycling advocate you are
when you demean what you claim is the vast majority of cyclists in your
country.

--
duane
Old October 7th 14, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/6/2014 8:05 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, October 6, 2014 7:38:30 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

The more practical use one gets out of a bike, the more sense a dynamo
makes. Obviously, levels of practical use vary tremendously, with the
statistical mode being zero for North Americans.

In fair weather at night I see many "serious" bicycle commuters/riders who wear

dark colour clothing, have no reflectors or lights of any kind and who
often seem
to just appear on the dark section of the road as if they've popped in
via a time
warp or some portal. It can be quite startling to tthe rider who nearly
hits them.

Yes, we have those too.

What gets me is that here in Ontario it's illegal to ride s bicycle at night

without at least reflectors if not lights.

I'm pretty sure a headlight is a legal requirement, not just reflectors.
That's pretty universal in the western world.

Then again it's also illegal to sell

a bicycle that doesn't have reflectors.

In the U.S., I believe it's illegal to sell a bicycle without
reflectors, but there doesn't seem to be a legal requirement to have
them actually installed. (Granted, I don't buy bikes very often, and
the last one - in 2006 or so - was sort of custom, so I may be wrong.
Andrew could tell us.)

I recall reading about a poll, in which people walking by in a mall were
shown a bike fitted out with reflectors but no headlight. They were
asked if the bike was legal for riding at night. About 100% said it
was. IOW, they were convinced no headlight was needed. That
demonstrates a pretty big problem.

And I've described before coming on a crew of about six middle-aged men
in a pretty expensive neighborhood, all nicely helmeted, all riding
bikes on the wrong side of the road with no headlights at night. It
illustrates that the problem isn't confined to low-wage workers or
homeless drunks.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 14, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 07/10/2014 01:10, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Practical varies amongst people. For me practical is a decent battery powered light that I can use on any of my bikes whenever I want. A dynamo isn't pratical if it's on one bike but I want to use a different bike that night. I've had my Rover II for many years now and have never had it malfunction nor die on even multi-hours long night rides.

For me practical is something I don't have to remember to do anything
about, and I don't have to worry that my wife has to remember too.

Hence all but the MTBs here have dynohubs.

Old October 7th 14, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/6/2014 8:10 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, October 6, 2014 7:38:30 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

The more practical use one gets out of a bike, the more sense a dynamo
makes. Obviously, levels of practical use vary tremendously, with the
statistical mode being zero for North Americans.

Practical varies amongst people. For me practical is a decent battery

powered light that I can use on any of my bikes whenever I want. A dynamo
isn't pratical if it's on one bike but I want to use a different bike that
night. I've had my Rover II for many years now and have never had it
malfunction nor die on even multi-hours long night rides.

That's fine, if that's what works for you.

I note that you've never (IIRC) claimed it was unsafe to ride on dark
roads with just dynamo lighting, or that an adequate dynamo set costs at
least $400, or that headlight beams designed for road use are dangerous
on a bicycle, or that motorists can't see dynamo lights, etc. IOW,
you've never claimed that what many of us use is foolishly unsuitable,
or that what we do is impossible.

But that's what Mr. Scharf has done, and still does. Unfortunately, I
admit I have a low tolerance for utter bull****. Hence, he and I
disagree on many things.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 14, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 11:10:13 PM UTC-4, Martin Riddle wrote:
On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 09:17:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

an evident obsession with dynamo generated electricity begs the question....

It's a blast?

Which brings up the question...

Is there cycling computer/speedo that has back light?

Cheers

whatever cheapo deal I have on my Trek does... I can't even remember what it is now. It just works...
Old October 7th 14, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

I wouldn't buy a dynamo either...
Even if it was a $15 option???? I would in a heartbeat at that kind
of price!!

Probably not. I don't have a need for any serious lighting. I'm sure
there are those that do and would appreciate that.

Yes, very few North Americans think they have no need for any serious
lighting on a bicycle. After all, they'd say, it's not a serious vehicle,
is it? To them, it's either a garage decoration or a fair weather toy.

You're putting words in my mouth again. So you plan to endlessly quote me
as saying that as well?

First the "fabricate a bike rack" thing, and now this?? Good grief,
Duane, turn on your reading comprehension!

Did I say "Duane says his bike is not a serious vehicle"? NO! I said
that most North Americans would say that - which is true! Most bikes in
NA sit in garages full time, or get brief exercise only on the prettiest
days.

However, you _did_ say you have no need for any serious lighting. If it
offends you greatly that I noticed that, perhaps you should have kept it
to yourself.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 14, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, October 6, 2014 8:22:57 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

HTA 62(17) - Lightsa bike must have a white front light and a red rear light or reflector if you ride between 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise and white reflective tape on the front forks and red reflective tape on rear forks. Set fine: $20.00

Night riding The Bruiser Unicycling 20 November 4th 06 08:22 AM
Night riding tedward Unicycling 2 May 14th 06 11:43 AM
Riding at Night Tim Nunes General 14 January 21st 06 02:16 AM
Night riding. Callistus Valerius Racing 26 February 22nd 05 12:13 AM
Night riding... Absent Husband Australia 67 January 16th 05 07:44 PM