Riding to Canberra

Old March 11th 11, 11:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Riding to Canberra

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:18:59 +1100
Patrick wrote:
I must say though that the best route is the Federal Highway. It is
scenic if you are not doing 110kph. Rowe's Lagoon, Collector, Lake
George, what isn't to like about this route?

The frigging winds?

I even notice them on the motorcycle.

Zebee
Old March 12th 11, 04:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 10/03/2011 4:35 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
I need to get a few things done in Canberra - like real soon.

Now I have previously thought of riding there just for fun but now that
push has come to shove, I am getting a bit worried.

I have no problems with traffic on the streets of Sydney but for some
reason, most likely becos I am a lily-liver yellow backed weak kneed
coward, I am rather hesitant when it comes to riding to Canberra.

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?

Thank you to everybody who has offered advice, insights, personal
experiences, comments, etc on how to ride to Canberra.

After reading all the posts, I have narrowed the field down to two options

1/ straight down the highway - kamikaze style!!!!! It does seem the
easiest and is something I have previously done by car, albeit 4-5 years
ago, so if nothing else, it offers some modicum of familiarity. I'll
probably stick to the road shoulder for most of the way.

I admit that some of the posts suggesting various detours for safety and
ease were confusing to me, only cos I am a city boy and all them country
names and deviations from the beaten track worry me - what if there be
dragons, huh? huh?

I could also possibly end up in WA despite my GPS and Nokia Maps - I am
pretty hopeless in some respects, you know.

2/ Catch the frigging train - $40 and 4 hrs.

Decisions, decisions

Again, thanks for all the suggestions, folks.
Old March 12th 11, 06:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:58:45 +1100
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

I admit that some of the posts suggesting various detours for safety and
ease were confusing to me, only cos I am a city boy and all them country
names and deviations from the beaten track worry me - what if there be
dragons, huh? huh?

Someone draw it up in bikely and hand him a gps file and a list of
waypoints...

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...town-to-Bowral
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-to-Bowral-67k

You can find your way to Campbelltown Geoff? Find the M5 and just
keep cycling...

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...Canberra176422
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bowral-to-canberra

Both of those go through Bungendore, I do Goulburn to Bungendore a
lot on the motorcycle, the bit from Tarago to Bungendore I wouldn't
want to do on a pushie. Hilly and narrow and while I'm usually the
fastest the cars aren't slow. Reckon you'd be best to take the
highway from Goulburn to Canberra.

hit the cue sheet option and print it out. full directions.

Zebee
Old March 12th 11, 08:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

I admit that some of the posts suggesting various detours for safety and
ease were confusing to me, only cos I am a city boy and all them country
names and deviations from the beaten track worry me - what if there be
dragons, huh? huh?

Someone draw it up in bikely and hand him a gps file and a list of
waypoints...

Pls, pls I do not wish to take up too much time from others for
something which I should be doing myself. Thank you very much for the
time you have already put in to this point I mean it.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...town-to-Bowral
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-to-Bowral-67k

You can find your way to Campbelltown Geoff? Find the M5 and just
keep cycling...

Getting to the M5 is not hard for me and I know enough that if I follow
it far enough I'll hit Campbelltown and if I keep going and miss the
Yass turnoff to Canberra, .... well, I hope Melbourne is nice this time
of the year.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...Canberra176422
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bowral-to-canberra

Both of those go through Bungendore, I do Goulburn to Bungendore a
lot on the motorcycle, the bit from Tarago to Bungendore I wouldn't
want to do on a pushie. Hilly and narrow and while I'm usually the
fastest the cars aren't slow. Reckon you'd be best to take the
highway from Goulburn to Canberra.

Thanks for the bikely links cos I'll look at them after I come back from
dinner.
Old March 12th 11, 10:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:05:52 +1100
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

Getting to the M5 is not hard for me and I know enough that if I follow
it far enough I'll hit Campbelltown and if I keep going and miss the
Yass turnoff to Canberra, .... well, I hope Melbourne is nice this time
of the year.

I reckon it's a long way for a day's riding.

You might want to take the train to Bowral and ride from there, or to
Goulburn and ride from there. Enough riding to make you feel you've
done it and a bike for transport at the end.

You will need to confirm there's space for the bike on the train.

Zebee

Old March 12th 11, 01:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
beerwolf[_3_]

Here is a youtube clip made by somebody who rode from Campbelltown to
Canberra in a day (on a MTB). Worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kX1vqjCzQ

He made it, but it doesn't sound like much fun towards the end of the day.

HTH

Old March 12th 11, 09:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_25_]

On Mar 11, 9:25*am, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

Audax 600? Bloody hell, I have heard of Audax 300 and I reckon they are
mad - stark raving, so that make you twice as crazy?

Yup. Did it with a basket on the handlebars and all.

Cheers,

Suzy
Old March 14th 11, 11:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John[_24_]

On 2011-03-12, suzyj wrote:
On Mar 11, 9:25Â*am, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

Audax 600? Bloody hell, I have heard of Audax 300 and I reckon they are
mad - stark raving, so that make you twice as crazy?

Yup. Did it with a basket on the handlebars and all.

If you're going to do it, you may as well do it in style.

--
John
Is that the truth, or is your News Limited?
Old March 14th 11, 03:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 13/03/2011 7:59 AM, suzyj wrote:
On Mar 11, 9:25 am, Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

Audax 600? Bloody hell, I have heard of Audax 300 and I reckon they are
mad - stark raving, so that make you twice as crazy?

Yup. Did it with a basket on the handlebars and all.

Just had to show-off, didntcha?
Old March 30th 11, 12:59 PM
mischastar mischastar is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Lock[_2_] View Post
I need to get a few things done in Canberra - like real soon.

Now I have previously thought of riding there just for fun but now that
push has come to shove, I am getting a bit worried.

I have no problems with traffic on the streets of Sydney but for some
reason, most likely becos I am a lily-liver yellow backed weak kneed
coward, I am rather hesitant when it comes to riding to Canberra.

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?
You will be absolutely fine as long as you respect the local way of doing things

Clothes for riding in the middle of winter in Canberra Joseph Australia 11 May 7th 08 04:41 AM
24hr riding in Canberra RobWoozle Australia 4 April 27th 07 12:01 PM
Riding in Canberra on 29er Gags Australia 4 March 5th 07 11:37 AM
Canberra Riding Marty Mountain Biking 12 January 6th 07 03:38 PM
Er? Anyone here from Canberra? asterope Australia 7 October 15th 06 01:04 PM