Hypocrite Mountain Bikers Ride when Trails Are Wet

Old January 24th 10, 04:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Hypocrite Mountain Bikers Ride when Trails Are Wet

So much for IMBA's rule about not riding under wet conditions! They
could stick to pavement, but they are too selfish to do so. IMBA's
"rules" are just for show, and are universally ignored.

Mike

Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:15:01 -0800
From: Ross Finlayson
Subject: Your favorite 'midst of the wet season' rides?

At this time of the year (especially during an 'El Nino' winter like
this one), we often find ourselves wanting to ride just a couple of
days after a major rainy spell. Most of the trails are too muddy to
ride, but there are a few trails (mostly fireroads) that hold up OK
even after heavy rain.

In the past, my favorite 'midst of the wet season' ride was the main
(Aptos Creek) fireroad in Nisene Marks - from Aptos up to Sand Point
overlook and back. But even that fireroad often gets very wet.

My new favorite 'midst of the wet season' ride - which I did again
today - is at Butano State Park: Up the Butano Fireroad, past the
abandoned airstrip, then down Olmo Fireroad, and back along the paved
road. This is a 12-mile loop with 2000' of total climbing , and holds
up well (especially the Butano Fireroad) even after a long period of
heavy rain, such as we had this past week.

So lets hear your favorite 'midst of the wet season' rides?

Ross.
Old January 24th 10, 07:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier[_2_]

Mike Vandeman wrote:
So much for IMBA's rule about not riding under wet conditions! They
could stick to pavement, but they are too selfish to do so. IMBA's
"rules" are just for show, and are universally ignored.

Note to Ed Dolan
Here is Mike, commenting on an article
about a mountain biker who has the sense
to stay on well constructed and (I assume)
maintained fire roads because he knows he
will cause much damage on the 'trails' in
his area and won't cause damage to the fire
roads. And Mike is saying this is a bad guy.
Harumph!

Mike

Old January 25th 10, 12:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jan 24, 11:51*am, VtSkier wrote:
Mike Vandeman wrote:
So much for IMBA's rule about not riding under wet conditions! They
could stick to pavement, but they are too selfish to do so. IMBA's
"rules" are just for show, and are universally ignored.

Note to Ed Dolan
Here is Mike, commenting on an article
about a mountain biker who has the sense
to stay on well constructed and (I assume)
maintained fire roads because he knows he
will cause much damage on the 'trails' in
his area and won't cause damage to the fire
roads.

You haven't ever studied physics, have you? Tell me what the
difference in impacts is on a fire road vs. a trail. The laws of
physics are the same on both. Except that they can go a lot FASTER on
a wide fire road. Hence, the impacts are much greater. Road
maintenance requires a bulldozer, which has a huge impact. Erosion
works the same on both. Animals & plants killed on a fire road are
just as dead as on a trail. Do you ever put your brain in gear before
opening your mouth??? The only way they can lessen their impact is to
stick to pavement.

And Mike is saying this is a bad guy.

Show me where I said that he's "bad". I said he's a "hypocrite".

Harumph!

Mike

Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:15:01 -0800
From: Ross Finlayson

[...]

* *Ross.- Hide quoted text -

Old January 25th 10, 12:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
di

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 11:51 am, VtSkier wrote:

You haven't ever studied physics, have you? Tell me what the
difference in impacts is on a fire road vs. a trail. The laws of
physics are the same on both. Except that they can go a lot FASTER on
a wide fire road. Hence, the impacts are much greater. Road
maintenance requires a bulldozer, which has a huge impact. Erosion
works the same on both. Animals & plants killed on a fire road are
just as dead as on a trail. Do you ever put your brain in gear before
opening your mouth??? The only way they can lessen their impact is to
stick to pavement.

This shows how stupid Mike is. The pavement had to be built on ground and
trees at one time. What's the difference? Trail, Fire Road, or Paved
Road?

Old January 25th 10, 01:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier[_2_]

Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

As I said in my last post, it was last in which
I would attempt to be civil to you. That since
you are quite unable to be civil in this forum.
For me to explain why a fireroad, or any other
dirt road would suffer less damage from a mountain
bike or any wheeled vehicle than a single track
trail to you would be quite futile. Yes, I have
studied the same physics that you have (presumably)
studied and am quite capable of showing you why.
But in any case you would just call me a LIAR and
go on your merry way. So why don't you just do
that and save me a hundred words or so.

Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:15:01 -0800
From: Ross Finlayson
[...]
Ross.- Hide quoted text -

Old January 25th 10, 01:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier[_2_]

DI wrote:
"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 11:51 am, VtSkier wrote:

You haven't ever studied physics, have you? Tell me what the
difference in impacts is on a fire road vs. a trail. The laws of
physics are the same on both. Except that they can go a lot FASTER on
a wide fire road. Hence, the impacts are much greater. Road
maintenance requires a bulldozer, which has a huge impact. Erosion
works the same on both. Animals & plants killed on a fire road are
just as dead as on a trail. Do you ever put your brain in gear before
opening your mouth??? The only way they can lessen their impact is to
stick to pavement.

This shows how stupid Mike is. The pavement had to be built on ground and
trees at one time. What's the difference? Trail, Fire Road, or Paved
Road?

Careful here. Our Mikey isn't stupid.
This is worth reading all the way to the end.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Mike_Vandeman
Old January 25th 10, 02:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jan 24, 4:28*pm, "DI" wrote:
"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

On Jan 24, 11:51 am, VtSkier wrote:

You haven't ever studied physics, have you? Tell me what the
difference in impacts is on a fire road vs. a trail. The laws of
physics are the same on both. Except that they can go a lot FASTER on
a wide fire road. Hence, the impacts are much greater. Road
maintenance requires a bulldozer, which has a huge impact. Erosion
works the same on both. Animals & plants killed on a fire road are
just as dead as on a trail. Do you ever put your brain in gear before
opening your mouth??? The only way they can lessen their impact is to
stick to pavement.

This shows how stupid Mike is. * The pavement had to be built on ground and
trees at one time. * What's the difference? * Trail, Fire Road, or Paved
Road?

Try to follow the conversation. No one is talking about building new
roads. We're talking about mountain biking on roads vs. trails.
Old January 25th 10, 02:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

It's quite obvious that you don't know any specifics whatsoever. About
ANYTHING. And, yes, you ARE a liar. I've demonstrated that severa
times. Why would you want to emulate a mountain biker???

Old January 25th 10, 02:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jan 24, 5:30*pm, VtSkier wrote:
DI wrote:
"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 11:51 am, VtSkier wrote:

You haven't ever studied physics, have you? Tell me what the
difference in impacts is on a fire road vs. a trail. The laws of
physics are the same on both. Except that they can go a lot FASTER on
a wide fire road. Hence, the impacts are much greater. Road
maintenance requires a bulldozer, which has a huge impact. Erosion
works the same on both. Animals & plants killed on a fire road are
just as dead as on a trail. Do you ever put your brain in gear before
opening your mouth??? The only way they can lessen their impact is to
stick to pavement.

This shows how stupid Mike is. * The pavement had to be built on ground and
trees at one time. * What's the difference? * Trail, Fire Road, or Paved
Road?

Careful here. Our Mikey isn't stupid.
This is worth reading all the way to the end.http://www.chapmancentral.co..uk/wiki/Mike_Vandeman- Hide quoted text -

WHY? There isn't an ounce of truth in it. (Sorry to talk over your
head. I should stick to words of one syl-la-ble.)
Old January 25th 10, 02:49 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier[_2_]

Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

Well that was easy. Didn't have to insult you
or anything.