Bottle holder

Old May 20th 19, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Bottle holder

On Mon, 20 May 2019 07:52:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/20/2019 7:21 AM, AK wrote:
I want to get a bottle holder for my bike.

It has no pre-drilled holes for the holder.

I found some that clamp on but not sure if they would work with the wide tube that I would need to mount it to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llqwef4nym...71257.jpg?dl=0

Andy

One measurement is worth a thousand opinions.
What size tube?

A popular and effective solution is a pair of rivnuts:
http://tentsshelters.tpub.com/TM-10-...24-14_67_2.jpg

(in some religions, doing that will brand you as an infidel)

As a comment, rivnuts are made in a number of shapes and one of them
is a "non spin" variation which is probably what one wants to use in a
thin bike tube. See
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...ottle-fittings
for details of installation.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 19, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 2:32:29 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 1:03:54 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 8:21:55 AM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I want to get a bottle holder for my bike.

It has no pre-drilled holes for the holder.

I found some that clamp on but not sure if they would work with the wide tube that I would need to mount it to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llqwef4nym...71257.jpg?dl=0

Andy

You might want to consider getting either a handlebar mount

https://www.amazon.com/BH-60-Handleb.../dp/B000YOOVIO

https://d8kboubjyveor.cloudfront.net...ndle_bar_2.jpg

or a seatpost mount. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...g?v=1457573113

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1qAJCg...ck-Cycling.jpg

I like the handlebar mount because it's readily to hand. I use PROFILE cages like this one because they hold bottles quite securely even Gatorade or Powerade ones. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....ML._SY679_.jpg

Cheers

Seatpost mount won't work because I have a rack there.

My handle is pretty crowded with headlight etc.

Andy

Actually the links to the seatpost mounted mount are for saddle mounts. The bottle mount fastens to the saddle between the rails not to the seatpost itself.

Maybe you should consider a hydration pack instead - such as a Camelback?

Cheers

Yes, I am definitey considering it.
Old May 21st 19, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 7:53:00 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/20/2019 7:21 AM, AK wrote:
I want to get a bottle holder for my bike.

It has no pre-drilled holes for the holder.

I found some that clamp on but not sure if they would work with the wide tube that I would need to mount it to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llqwef4nym...71257.jpg?dl=0

Andy

One measurement is worth a thousand opinions.
What size tube?

A popular and effective solution is a pair of rivnuts:
http://tentsshelters.tpub.com/TM-10-...24-14_67_2.jpg

I had rivnuts installed on a bike for the water bottle holder. It was a 1970s cheap department store frame so putting holes and rivets in the downtube was of no consequence.

(in some religions, doing that will brand you as an infidel)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 21st 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/20/2019 5:21 AM, AK wrote:
I want to get a bottle holder for my bike.

It has no pre-drilled holes for the holder.

I found some that clamp on but not sure if they would work with the wide tube that I would need to mount it to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llqwef4nym...71257.jpg?dl=0

Andy

Try these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EIEHEC

This web site may help you find a product that will work:
http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/

Old May 21st 19, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:32:06 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
Snipped
This web site may help you find a product that will work:
http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/

Gads! It's that website with all the lies that you need a properly equipped machine shop in order to safely install rivnuts on a bicycle frame. ********! Nearly anyone with a regular electric drill can safely install rivnuts on a bicycle.

Cheers
Old May 21st 19, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 21 May 2019 08:32:02 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/20/2019 5:21 AM, AK wrote:
I want to get a bottle holder for my bike.

It has no pre-drilled holes for the holder.

I found some that clamp on but not sure if they would work with the wide tube that I would need to mount it to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llqwef4nym...71257.jpg?dl=0

Andy

Try these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EIEHEC

$12 for two straps? That seems rather expensive.

Instead, I suggest using two cable tie saddle supports:
https://www.cabletiesunlimited.com/instantsearchplus/result/?q=saddle%20support%20mounting%20base
Available in #6, #8, and #10 screw hole. I think I used #10 but I'm
not certain. Black is more UV resistant than natural nylon. Insert a
5mm X 0.8mm screw into the saddle support and attach to the tube with
a cable tie (ty-wrap or zip-tie). Attach water bottle cage with a 5mm
nut. I suggest using heavy duty (thicker) cable ties. A few cages
have multiple mounting holes, making 4 or even 6 such cable tie mounts
possible (useful if the water bottle is full of heavy batteries for a
headlight). One advantage of this scheme is that two (or more)
opposing water bottles can be mounted using only 2 cable ties.

This web site may help you find a product that will work:
http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/

Nice selection guide.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 21st 19, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/21/2019 10:00 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

$12 for two straps? That seems rather expensive.

It is. But a kluge of cable ties and associated bits and pieces is not
going to work as well and by the time you buy all the parts you'll spend
more time cobbling it together.

There are also the Zefal Gizmo clamps
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSM1O1H and the Topeak Versa Mount
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S5G4SL.

Above all, don't use hose clamps! And don't drill holes in the frame for
Rivnuts.
Old May 21st 19, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/21/2019 12:26 PM, sms wrote:
On 5/21/2019 10:00 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

$12 for two straps? That seems rather expensive.

It is. But a kluge of cable ties and associated bits and
pieces is not going to work as well and by the time you buy
all the parts you'll spend more time cobbling it together.

There are also the Zefal Gizmo clamps
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSM1O1H and the Topeak Versa
Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S5G4SL.

Above all, don't use hose clamps! And don't drill holes in
the frame for Rivnuts.

At least wear a helmet because those Boeing machines with
rivnuts are going to fall out of the sky any time now:

https://www.asapaog.com/aircraft-part-types/rivnut/

Old May 21st 19, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 21/05/2019 1:48 p.m., AMuzi wrote:
On 5/21/2019 12:26 PM, sms wrote:
On 5/21/2019 10:00 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

$12 for two straps?Â* That seems rather expensive.

It is. But a kluge of cable ties and associated bits and
pieces is not going to work as well and by the time you buy
all the parts you'll spend more time cobbling it together.

There are also the Zefal Gizmo clamps
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSM1O1H and the Topeak Versa
Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S5G4SL.

Above all, don't use hose clamps! And don't drill holes in
the frame for Rivnuts.

At least wear a helmet because those Boeing machines with rivnuts are
going to fall out of the sky any time now:

https://www.asapaog.com/aircraft-part-types/rivnut/

Maybe Boeing wasn't the best choice for sarcasm.
Old May 21st 19, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 21/05/2019 18:51, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:32:06 AM UTC-4, sms wrote: Snipped
This web site may help you find a product that will work:
http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/

Gads! It's that website with all the lies that you need a properly
equipped machine shop in order to safely install rivnuts on a bicycle
frame. ********! Nearly anyone with a regular electric drill can
safely install rivnuts on a bicycle.

Cheers

And pictures like this;

http://www.nordicgroup.us/cageboss/c...oldingbike.jpg

Straight from the website could encourage you to do all sorts of things!
Shouldn't be allowed. Damn Scandawegians.