Italy in the springtime

Old May 23rd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Italy in the springtime

A co-worker, who's a beginning cyclist and HUGE Basso fan, was asking
if I thought Basso had the Giro sewn up. At first I thought it seems
like a foregone conclusion, but it occurred to me that you can never
tell how things will go with the unpredictable springtime weather in
Italy. Velonews has a really interesting article about Charly Gaul's
win in '56, and of course we've all heard the stories about Hampsten's
win in '88. Well, anyone who's ever seen Bob Roll discuss the Giro has
heard him tell the story of the Gavia Pass at least once.

After today's stage I'm actually hoping for some super-crappy weather
tomorrow, as right now the Giro's become pretty boring.

Scott

Old May 23rd 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Scott" wrote in message
oups.com...
A co-worker, who's a beginning cyclist and HUGE Basso fan, was asking
if I thought Basso had the Giro sewn up.

You just need to look at last year to understand that Basso doesn't have it
sewn up. He looks unbeatable but strange things happen.

Old May 23rd 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Frank Drackman wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
oups.com...
A co-worker, who's a beginning cyclist and HUGE Basso fan, was asking
if I thought Basso had the Giro sewn up.

You just need to look at last year to understand that Basso doesn't have it
sewn up. He looks unbeatable but strange things happen.

True, but it's possible in any stage race that the leader will have a
bad day. The Giro has a bit more of a history of really crappy weather
affecting the outcome than most races, which was my point.

I'd be curious to hear about other examples of races being overly
influenced by weather.

Old May 23rd 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 23 May 2006 09:17:37 -0700, "Scott"
wrote:

A co-worker, who's a beginning cyclist and HUGE Basso fan, was asking
if I thought Basso had the Giro sewn up. At first I thought it seems
like a foregone conclusion, but it occurred to me that you can never
tell how things will go with the unpredictable springtime weather in
Italy. Velonews has a really interesting article about Charly Gaul's
win in '56, and of course we've all heard the stories about Hampsten's
win in '88. Well, anyone who's ever seen Bob Roll discuss the Giro has
heard him tell the story of the Gavia Pass at least once.

Yeah, incredible stage win there by Hampsten.

JTrol

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old May 24th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
Yeah, incredible stage win there by Hampsten.

If Ewoud was a spirit you would make a good medium.

JTrol

Is this a Java library to generate trolls ?

Old May 24th 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Scott" wrote:
and of course we've all heard the stories about Hampsten's win
in '88. Well, anyone who's ever seen Bob Roll discuss the Giro
has heard him tell the story of the Gavia Pass at least once.

Yeah, incredible stage win there by Hampsten.

Hrmph.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/gavia1.jpg

--
E. Dronkert
Old May 24th 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
ard him tell the story of the Gavia Pass at least once.

Yeah, incredible stage win there by Hampsten.

Dig out the story of that day as told by Andy,
and reported by Bruce Hindenbrand.

Sergio
Pisa

Old May 24th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Donald Munro wrote:
scott wrote:
and of course we've all heard the stories about Hampsten's
win in '88. Well, anyone who's ever seen Bob Roll discuss the Giro has
heard him tell the story of the Gavia Pass at least once.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
Yeah, incredible stage win there by Hampsten.

If Ewoud was a spirit you would make a good medium.

JTrol

Is this a Java library to generate trolls ?

Baiting ED on the Gavia Pass stage doesn't count.

Bob Schwartz