Should I go for a double or triple?

Old February 21st 15, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Should I go for a double or triple?

On Monday, August 4, 2003 at 2:39:27 PM UTC-4, trg wrote:
Hi RBTers,

I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra
Double or Triple. For any ride I'm likely to do in my area (95% of the time
spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But should I want to head to the
high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able to
manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).

Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I
have to change to go from a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank, BB,
shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple solution to add a granny
gear to an Ultegra double?

Thanks

---

Get the granny gear.

Double to triple Zen Cohen Techniques 4 June 26th 07 06:03 AM
Going from triple to double Bob Cooper Techniques 12 December 25th 05 02:54 PM
Double to Triple MSA Techniques 14 September 1st 05 10:54 PM
double to triple conversion Steve W Techniques 4 April 19th 05 06:32 PM
double or triple Chris Armstrong UK 12 April 17th 05 08:43 PM