Thoughts on braking

Old August 5th 03, 12:45 PM
Peter Cole

Default Thoughts on braking

"Carl Riehm" wrote in message
Is it possible that the difference between bikes and motorcycles, as far
as front/rear braking is concerned, is that a much larger percentage of
the weight on a bicycle (mainly the weight of the rider) is on the front
wheels?

Not true.

Old August 5th 03, 07:47 PM
Mark Hickey

"Peter Cole" wrote:

"Carl Riehm" wrote in message
Is it possible that the difference between bikes and motorcycles, as far
as front/rear braking is concerned, is that a much larger percentage of
the weight on a bicycle (mainly the weight of the rider) is on the front
wheels?

Not true.

What he said. The balance of a motorcycle, road bike and "comfort
bike" are all very similar in terms of weight distribution between the
front and back. If they weren't, they'd be evil handling pigs.

The biggest difference is in the lower center of gravity on a
motorcycle (particularly one like my BMW), allowing me to use a LOT
more front brake than I could get away with on a bicycle with its
relatively high COG (after all, the "engine" averages about 1m/3'
above the pavement).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com