Compact Geometry and Long Distance

Old August 5th 03, 02:31 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default Compact Geometry and Long Distance

terry- For comfort, you're better off with a nice steel frame, but only
after several thousand miles when that harsh steel softens up a bit.
But be sure to use only aged tires, the factory fresh ones are also
harsh. And don't tie and solder your wheels, that makes them super
stiff. BRBR

Be sure to soak your chamois in brine before riding as well...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 5th 03, 10:58 PM
Mark Hickey

DiabloScott wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:
Be sure to soak your chamois in brine before riding as well...

My lawyer insists that I state emphatically that I did NOT write the
above.

Actually, nothing works better on a chamois than Icy Hot.

It would certainly be "better" at at least one thing I can think of
(two, if you include promoting abstinence). Hey, I just got a great
idea for a line of worry-free teen underwear... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old August 6th 03, 03:56 PM
Robin Hubert

"DiabloScott" wrote in message
Mark Hickey wrote:
Be sure to soak your chamois in brine before riding as well...

Actually, nothing works better on a chamois than Icy Hot.

It really takes the sting out of narrow HP tires, fat aluminium tubes,
and magnesium railed saddles when riding over chip seal roads on a
compact frame with not enough spokes and too many gears. I buy it in
the big tubs.

That stuff might be alright but you'll think twice after it gets onto your
soft tissues.
--
Robin Hubert

Old August 7th 03, 12:44 AM
Bruce Graham

In article ,
says...

I have a compact frame tourer which I find very comfortable over long
distances. It has normal height head tube (ie a real compact frame) so
the seat post is a bit longer which I think softens some of the bumps a
bit. The frame is CroMo. Chainstays are longer than a road bike. Angles
are not extreme and it is stable at 85 Km/hr with panniers. Nothing
fancy or expensive but I'm happy enough.

Bruce Graham

Who is mfgr of your frame, Bruce?

It is from Taiwan specced by an Australian mfr. "Shogun". I think a
local touring shop "Christies" was behind it.

Model is Alpine GT, a 97 model I think.

Quite a few were sold down here in Oz as economical tourers. About US$600

Earlier models had a conventional level top-tube, lugged frame. By 97 or
so, probably for cost-reasons, the frame was based on a standard city
bike frame with sloping top-tube, but fitted with drop bars.

Chainstays are 440mm. CroMo fork with pannier mounts front and rear.
Canti brakes (replaced by short Tektro BMX V brakes) Shimano (low end
RSX) small triple 46-36-26, STI shifters, and mountain rear drer, 7 sp
11-30 cassette. Has the old Mavic MA rims (36 hole) Taiwan sealed bearing
hubs.

It has been to France, New Zealand and central Australia as well as lots
of local rides and it is now an integral part of me. My wife has an
identical bike and we tour together.

Bruce Graham

handlebar height n crowley General 35 April 19th 04 07:12 PM
hands and neck bothering me. Geometry? curt General 14 March 8th 04 03:27 AM
First long ride on my new bike (long) David Kerber General 17 November 26th 03 01:59 PM
Merits of compact geometry frames vs "classic" geometry??? ari Techniques 8 July 17th 03 03:40 AM