9 speed crank on 8 speed drivetrain (MTB)?

Old August 5th 03, 02:07 PM
Jack Fortune

Default 9 speed crank on 8 speed drivetrain (MTB)?

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:32:24 GMT, Michael
wrote:

Hi all:

I'm a roadie who just picked up my first decent mountain bike (a 1995
Waterford 1400 lugged steel frame, quite a beauty, and cheap, too); it
has an 8 speed drivetrain, and I'm thinking about putting on a new
crankset.

Is there any particular problem with the existing crank?

Can I replace the 8 speed crankset with a current 9 speed crankset?

There's really no such thing as a "9 speed crankset".

Shifters are SRAM grip shifters, derailleur is XTR.

By the way, any reason to 'upgrade' to a 9 speed drivetrain all around?

If you want an extra cog in the rear, this would give the most "bang
for the buck". All you would need is a new cassette, chain, & shifter
for the rear derailer.

Does anybody ride lugged steel mountain bikes anymore? I couldn't
resist...

TIA
Michael

Old August 5th 03, 03:10 PM
Paul Kopit

wrote:

By the way, any reason to 'upgrade' to a 9 speed drivetrain all around?

Yes, if you need to buy yourself new toys.
Old August 6th 03, 05:03 AM
Werehatrack

may have said:

Hi all:

I'm a roadie who just picked up my first decent mountain bike (a 1995
Waterford 1400 lugged steel frame, quite a beauty, and cheap, too); it
has an 8 speed drivetrain, and I'm thinking about putting on a new
crankset.

Can I replace the 8 speed crankset with a current 9 speed crankset?
Shifters are SRAM grip shifters, derailleur is XTR.

It shouldn't be a problem, but is there anything wrong with the old
one? It's very likely that it would work with the 9 rear setup
without any problem at all.

By the way, any reason to 'upgrade' to a 9 speed drivetrain all around?

There are a few more choices of gears available, and you can have cogs
that are numerically closer together if that's something that
interests you.

Does anybody ride lugged steel mountain bikes anymore? I couldn't
resist...

Given the pair of them I spotted in a bike rack on the back of a Ford
Exploder this afternoon, lashed in with two very nice mtbs built on
Specialized frames, I'd have to say that the answer is "yes". (And
then there are the cheapskates like me who ride whatever gets far
enough down into the bargain basement bins...)

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old August 7th 03, 01:19 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Oh yes! You HAVE to get that 9 speed set up!

That way you'll have an excuse to go back to your LBS again in a few
months to buy a new set up when all your friends get the new ten
coggers!

Gotta keep up with the Jonsies! ;-3)

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Longer crankarms Jiyang Chen Racing 129 March 18th 04 12:37 PM
Crank square taper hole too large - options? Phil Holman Techniques 12 July 18th 03 02:10 AM