The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

Old April 25th 09, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

Default The BMA Recycle BeHIT Bull****

On 25 Apr, 11:06, "mileburner" wrote:
"Toom Tabard" wrote in message

I'm aware of the effects of risk compensation

The main benefit of wearing a helmet that often seems to be overlooked is
that it helps the wearer to ride faster and take more chances. Cornering can
be done faster, braking done later etc. and an overall feeling of euphoria
can accompany the feeling of being indestructible. Knee and elbow pads can
also help, gloves are essential for this.

Yes, and if you also wear a high-viz jacket, you'll be seen five miles
away, but will have been forgotten about and invisible by the time you
get close. (Understandably) not many people know that ;-)

Toom
Old April 25th 09, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 25 Apr, 13:11, Toom Tabard wrote:
On 25 Apr, 11:06, "mileburner" wrote:

"Toom Tabard" wrote in message

I'm aware of the effects of risk compensation

The main benefit of wearing a helmet that often seems to be overlooked is
that it helps the wearer to ride faster and take more chances. Cornering can
be done faster, braking done later etc. and an overall feeling of euphoria
can accompany the feeling of being indestructible. Knee and elbow pads can
also help, gloves are essential for this.

Yes, and if you also wear a high-viz jacket, you'll be seen five miles
away, but will have been forgotten about and invisible by the time you
get close. (Understandably) not many people know that ;-)

And if you wear black clothes you'll be more obvious - just like all
these RAF training planes you see bowling down the road. Not many
people know that either ;-)

Toom.

Old April 25th 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 05:11:14 -0700 (PDT), Toom Tabard
wrote:

On 25 Apr, 11:06, "mileburner" wrote:
"Toom Tabard" wrote in message

I'm aware of the effects of risk compensation

The main benefit of wearing a helmet that often seems to be overlooked is
that it helps the wearer to ride faster and take more chances. Cornering can
be done faster, braking done later etc. and an overall feeling of euphoria
can accompany the feeling of being indestructible. Knee and elbow pads can
also help, gloves are essential for this.

Yes, and if you also wear a high-viz jacket, you'll be seen five miles
away, but will have been forgotten about and invisible by the time you
get close. (Understandably) not many people know that ;-)

Toom

"but will have been forgotten about and invisible by the time you get
close. "

I must admit I had forgotten about that.

It really was one of the all time greats - I can't remember by who.

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Old April 25th 09, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Toom Tabard" wrote in message
On 25 Apr, 11:06, "mileburner" wrote:
"Toom Tabard" wrote in message

I'm aware of the effects of risk compensation

The main benefit of wearing a helmet that often seems to be overlooked is
that it helps the wearer to ride faster and take more chances. Cornering
can
be done faster, braking done later etc. and an overall feeling of
euphoria
can accompany the feeling of being indestructible. Knee and elbow pads
can
also help, gloves are essential for this.

Yes, and if you also wear a high-viz jacket, you'll be seen five miles
away, but will have been forgotten about and invisible by the time you
get close. (Understandably) not many people know that ;-)

Hi-viz is exceptionally good because it confuses the drivers. Under normal
circumstances, a cyclist cannot be seen from the front which is why drivers
pull out into their path. But if you wear hi-viz, the reflected light burns
deeply into the retina and sends a signal to the brain to force them to try
and work out what this bright coloured object is coming toward them. By the
time the have worked it that it is a cyclist, you are already past safely
them.

When the traffic is approaching from behind, the drivers naturally assume
that the cyclist is actually sitting on a JCB, but the JCB is invisible.
They cannot work out why they cannot see the invisible JCB but to be safe,
they overtake very wide in case it appears.

Hi Viz Rocks!

Old April 25th 09, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 25 Apr, 15:15, "mileburner" wrote:
[...]

I've experienced this as a cyclist (in very few instances), but not as
a driver - it must be down to subjective skill. But, on balance, hi-
viz works.

When the traffic is approaching from behind, the drivers naturally assume
that the cyclist is actually sitting on a JCB, but the JCB is invisible.
They cannot work out why they cannot see the invisible JCB but to be safe,
they overtake very wide in case it appears.

Indeed, it doesn't matter what you are, unless they expect you to pull
in a dig a ditch - hi-viz works.

Toom

Old April 25th 09, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

wrote:
[...]

Let me refresh byour memory regarding who you thought it was:-

On 4 Apr, 15:41, Toom Tabard wrote:
On 4 Apr, 15:17, Judith Smith wrote:

But others have pointed out in previous threads that if your brain
spots them from a long way off - then by the time you get close up,
your brain will be "forgetting" about them :-)

I think it may have been Clinch who gave us that gem.

Yes, but my brain works differently from his: a matter of detail for
which I consider myself, and all others, should regard themselves as
eternally blessed and grateful.

Toom

Perhaps on Monday he'll be able to write quoting that he is writing
from publicly funded sources, and confirm this as well as denigrating
and insulting high net taxpayers such as I. And showng a complete lack
of awareness, in this respect, regarding the extent to which*'he's
given himself enough rope, tied the noose and jumped off the stool as
far as his pronouncements go.'

Boy, am I going to enjoy this one!*

Toom * * * * *

Old April 25th 09, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Toom Tabard wrote:

Let me refresh byour memory regarding who you thought it was:-

Perhaps you should check back through google's archive, as it
wasn't me.

I've never disputed that dayglo makes you more visible, I simply
wonder if that's relevant if you're visible /enough/ without it.

Perhaps on Monday he'll be able to write quoting that he is writing
from publicly funded sources, and confirm this as well as denigrating
and insulting high net taxpayers such as I. And showng a complete lack
of awareness, in this respect, regarding the extent to which 'he's
given himself enough rope, tied the noose and jumped off the stool as
far as his pronouncements go.'

I'll point out on Saturday that while you "understand and
appreciate [Mike Clark's] perception and views", but describe mine
as "specious twaddle", that my views are so close to Mike's in
actual substance, and I came about them in pretty much the same
way, that it's pretty clear you're now getting into serious
messenger blaming rather than looking at real content. Not very
good if you want to pass yourself off as as close to objective as
reasonably possible.

I /did/ say I should give up pointing out you can't tell your facts
from opinion (how you /know/ helmets make you safer), granted, but
(a) this is a different problem and (b) "should" is not "will" in
any case, so perhaps you could address the actual issue being
raised rather than quote that back at me or engage in spurious
personal attacks that fail to address the content. Or, if past
form is anything to go by, perhaps not.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 26th 09, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick L Plate

On 25 Apr, 15:44, Toom Tabard wrote:
[...]

Maybe its not a JCB, but one of those mini dumpers will make a decent
indentation into the side of a regular car, which ARE topped by a
driver wearing a hi-vis jacket/vest and no other change from a cyclist
above the hips. Same height, same profile. Wear a high vis and they
think your driving a mini dumper.
Old April 26th 09, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:11:06 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Toom Tabard wrote:

Let me refresh byour memory regarding who you thought it was:-

Perhaps you should check back through google's archive, as it
wasn't me.

I apologise for my incorrect recollection - it was in fact Colin
McKenzie

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

Old June 11th 18, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

On Sunday, 19 April 2009 18:52:35 UTC+1, Judith Smith wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:30:54 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

snip

I can't see helmet compulsion for adults ever coming in. The cycling lobby
is huge and when under attack or when needs must, closes ranks and comes
together.

Wishful thinking my old fruit.

The public at large will see it as justice and penance for all those V
signs given out by cyclists, all those riding on the pavement, all
those "Get on the motorway", all those jumping through red lights, all
those ignoring pedestrian crossings, all those .......

Get the drift?

It will happen - just a matter of time.

Why do you think that some of the ****wits here are actually
anti-helmet?

It is almost 10 years since this was written and cycle hat compulsion is even further away now.

Cycling is safer with LANCE gone [email protected] Racing 4 July 14th 08 08:17 AM
Critical Mass - productive campaign to promote cycling or... The Nottingham Duck UK 54 September 23rd 05 06:33 AM
Safer Helmet Tilly UK 1 June 17th 05 12:07 PM
MTBing Safer Than You Might Think Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 15 November 27th 04 03:58 AM
Bridelways now safer Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 July 29th 03 06:59 PM