replace crankset bearing on gear side

Old February 16th 15, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default replace crankset bearing on gear side

On 2/15/2015 7:38 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Situation and story:

I noticed the crankset started to cough and jump when
pedaling, so I thought I'd examine the bearings. I
managed to remove the pedals with a fixed wrench, and
then open the crankset with a pipe wrench. On the side
which do not carry the cogwheel I got loose a couple
of pieces smoothly, including the bearing. But on the
side with the cogwheel I can't get the bearing out the
corresponding way (because of the cogwheel). I can't
get it out on the other side because there is a metal
ring around the center that shrinks the hole as much
as to not let the bearing out that way either. And for
the same reason (the metal ring) I can't push the
whole pedal(less) bar out on the cogwheel side. I
thought about either breaking the bearing and somehow
repair it while in place, either that or banging out
the metal ring from the other side with a hammer and a
screwdriver, only none of that seem like a good way to
do it. I'd be very thankful if you could help me find
a solution as this has frustrated me for some time
now...

There are many different designs of cranks, and it's very difficult to
tell what you've got from your description. (Difficult for me, at least.)

You might try starting at http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help or at
Sheldon Brown's site (already linked by someone else). Or shoot photos
and post them in a link we can access.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 16th 15, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Sir Ridesalot writes:

I noticed the crankset started to cough and jump
when pedaling, so I thought I'd examine the
bearings. I managed to remove the pedals with a
fixed wrench, and then open the crankset with a
pipe wrench. On the side which do not carry the
cogwheel I got loose a couple of pieces smoothly,
including the bearing.

Sounds like you have a three piece unit. How did you
get the crank arm off?

I don't think those can be disassembled (?) because it
is a long metal bar which is bent two times, like
this:

----------.

'__________

(If I could get off the arms that would solve the
situation instantly.)

--
underground experts united
Old February 16th 15, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 10:38:29 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

I noticed the crankset started to cough and jump
when pedaling, so I thought I'd examine the
bearings. I managed to remove the pedals with a
fixed wrench, and then open the crankset with a
pipe wrench. On the side which do not carry the
cogwheel I got loose a couple of pieces smoothly,
including the bearing.

Sounds like you have a three piece unit. How did you
get the crank arm off?

I don't think those can be disassembled (?) because it
is a long metal bar which is bent two times, like
this:

----------.

'__________

(If I could get off the arms that would solve the
situation instantly.)

--
underground experts united

Looks like you have a one piece Ashtabula crank.

Diassembly isn't hard and you DON'T NEED HEAT to do it.

From Sheldon Brown's site:

"Disassembly

To disassemble a one-piece crank, start by removing the left pedal (turn it clockwise to unscrew it--everything on the left side of a one-piece crank is left (reverse) threaded.) Then remove the locknut on the left side bottom bracket (clockwise to remove), lift of the keyed washer, and unscrew the left cone (clockwise to remove.) The left cone usually has grooves that allow you to turn it with a flat-bladed screwdriver. Pull out the ball retainer, then you will be able to withdraw the whole crank assembly from the right side of the bottom bracket. Pull the crank partway out of the bottom bracket, then reach in and remove the right side bearing retainer. If you try to pull the corners of the one-piece crank through without removing both retainers from their cups first, you may damage the retainers.

Clean and inspect the cones, cups and bearing retainers. If they are smooth and free from pitting, you can re-use them. In most bicycle applications, bearings with loose balls are preferable to those that use retainers (cages..) One-piece cranks, along with headsets, are a major exception to this rule. It is extremely difficult to assemble a one-piece crank set with loose balls, I would not recommend trying."

Link to these instructions he http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html

Cheers
Old February 16th 15, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 01:38:56 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

[...]

You don't say what sort of bottom bracket you have but you might want
to watch :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebo4DOK4MVc
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in0eWKepZ2c

If the whole pedal system is one piece - spindle and crank arms you
might look at http://sheldonbrown.com/opc.html

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 16th 15, 11:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

As an addendum to my other post. Have a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2QmyrxtMQY
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 16th 15, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/15/2015 6:38 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

If you could be specific about what parts you have or link
to a photo we can help.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 16th 15, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/15/2015 9:33 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
writes:

read Brown's information and hyperlinks then read
... on Brown's photo you will see bearings held in
with a large washer on crank held onto the BB/frame
with a large chrome nut...

your description is a cup attached to BB/frame that
is not connected to the axle ?

It looks like the drawing downmost on the suggested
page:
http://sheldonbrown.com/opc.html

It is basically a bent bar that I can't get out (or
the bearing in) because the metal ring blocks me from
removing the bar altogether, on the other side I can't
get the bearing in because the cog is there and though
loose cant be removed. The cog and general
architecture looks like in the drawing so yes, that's
it.

then this would probably thread onto the BB/frame.
that would need heat for removal, heat from a
propane torch.

OK, good to know so I won't waste time trying to get
it off other ways.

View this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh26x9YN-_E

The sexy part is at 2:40

Old February 16th 15, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Frank Krygowski writes:

There are many different designs of cranks, and it's
very difficult to tell what you've got from your
description. (Difficult for me, at least.)

You might try starting at
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help or at
Sheldon Brown's site (already linked by someone
else). Or shoot photos and post them in a link we
can access.

Yes, I understand, I don't have a camera at the moment
but the axle and cog look exactly like in this
picture, at Sheldon Brown's site:

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/opc-chainwheel.jpg

So I'd say chances are pretty good the "one-size
(Ashtabula) crank" is what I've got.

--
underground experts united
Old February 16th 15, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

AMuzi writes:

View this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh26x9YN-_E

This, and all three videos suggested by Mr. Slocomb,
are "unavailable" to me. I can make that work but I
think it'll be easier for you just to explain this in
but a few sentences now that I can specify the problem
with more precision (I hope ).

1. I have an Ashtabula crank.

2. I want to replace the bearing on the cog side.

3. I have removed the pedals and everything is loose
along the axle, but I still cant get the axle out
on the cog side because the metal ring that is
outside and partly within the crank hole blocks it
on its way out.

What I have tried so far is putting a big
screwdriver in from the other side and hitting it
with a hammer, but the ring seem to be either
threaded or otherwise (?) very tight shut.

I also tried rotating and twisting it from the cog
side with a pipe wrench but the area to grip is so
small I couldn't get any power.

So it is this step I'd like to know how to do.

--
underground experts united
Old February 16th 15, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 6:13:18 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi writes:

[...]

You DON't need to take anyting off the chainwheel (cog) side to remove that cr4ank; unless you have a chainguard on it.

Diassembly isn't hard and you DON'T NEED HEAT to do it.

Instructions from Sheldon Brown's site: