e bike brake update

Old April 22nd 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default e bike brake update

Wasn't me, boss. Must be the other guy.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...9#.XL3qLE8oHIB
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 22nd 19, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:23:52 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
Wasn't me, boss. Must be the other guy.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...9#.XL3qLE8oHIB

Got any info on the "power modulator"? What it is, how it works?

I recall years ago seeing some comfort bikes with the then-new direct pull
cantilevers, that had a sort of spring in the front brake cable, I assume to
crudely limit the cable force. But this Power Modulator seems different.
Sounds like it's built into the brake itself, and makes noise when it's
functioning.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 22nd 19, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/22/2019 11:42 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:23:52 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
Wasn't me, boss. Must be the other guy.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...9#.XL3qLE8oHIB

Got any info on the "power modulator"? What it is, how it works?

I recall years ago seeing some comfort bikes with the then-new direct pull
cantilevers, that had a sort of spring in the front brake cable, I assume to
crudely limit the cable force. But this Power Modulator seems different.
Sounds like it's built into the brake itself, and makes noise when it's
functioning.

same general idea, different mechanism:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/techn...modulator.html

Old April 22nd 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:09:03 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 4/22/2019 11:42 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:23:52 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
Wasn't me, boss. Must be the other guy.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...9#.XL3qLE8oHIB

Got any info on the "power modulator"? What it is, how it works?

I recall years ago seeing some comfort bikes with the then-new direct pull
cantilevers, that had a sort of spring in the front brake cable, I assume to
crudely limit the cable force. But this Power Modulator seems different.
Sounds like it's built into the brake itself, and makes noise when it's
functioning.

same general idea, different mechanism:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/techn...modulator.html

That somehow seems reminiscent of the old "coaster brake" rear hub :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 23rd 19, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/22/2019 5:57 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:09:03 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 4/22/2019 11:42 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:23:52 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
Wasn't me, boss. Must be the other guy.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...9#.XL3qLE8oHIB

Got any info on the "power modulator"? What it is, how it works?

I recall years ago seeing some comfort bikes with the then-new direct pull
cantilevers, that had a sort of spring in the front brake cable, I assume to
crudely limit the cable force. But this Power Modulator seems different.
Sounds like it's built into the brake itself, and makes noise when it's
functioning.

same general idea, different mechanism:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/techn...modulator.html

That somehow seems reminiscent of the old "coaster brake" rear hub :-)

I thought so too. A CB retarder is not much different.