Cyclists injured by handsaw wielding Mike Vandeman

Old June 3rd 10, 06:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Bill Weir

Default Cyclists injured by handsaw wielding Mike Vandeman

On Jun 3, 12:53*pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message

On 03/06/10 9:00 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:

snip

Vandeman is charged with assault with a deadly weapon, and should be
charged
with attempted murder. (Actually, charging him with attempted murder
would
raise the bar enough that he might actually be set free by a jury.)

Yeah, you've got to be careful with charges that way. I doubt if the case
will be heard by a jury, it'll probably be plea-bargained to a fine, some
months in the county jail, then probation, but no state prison time,
especially if it's a first offense. The state prisons are so over-crowded
that for a first offender the prosecutor would probably not push for
prison time. OTOH, it was a violent felony, not a misdemeanor, so you
never know what can happen. There could be civil suits as well, though
it's unlikely there are any significant assets to go after.

Well, Vandeman is a PhD, after all, and should have a well paying job at the
university. He looks like a hobo in the booking shot though.

All I can say is, "Mike, don't drop the soap."- Hide quoted text -

Ed Dolan will advise Mike to use powdered soap as it takes longer to
pick up.

Old June 3rd 10, 06:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Bob Berger[_2_]

In article , Jeff Strickland says...

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 17:15:18 -0400, T. Keating
wrote:

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:38:32 -0700 (PDT), Karamba
wrote:

On May 27, 8:15 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://www.nsmb.com/3692-fabian-barel-injured/

http://police.berkeley.edu/crimealer...52810-37NC.htm

On Friday, May 28, 2010 UCPD received a report of an assault with a
deadly weapon which had occurred around 6 weeks earlier. The assault
occurred on a Sunday on the East-West Fire Trail located in the hills
above campus. The victims, two non-affiliated White males, reported
the crime after hearing of similar incidents occurring to bicyclists
on the fire trail. The victims were riding their bicycles westbound
on the trail when they encountered the suspect walking in the opposite
direction. The suspect was holding a handsaw and cut one of the
victims across the chest with the saw. The victims asked the suspect
why he had attacked them. He told them they should not be riding
their bicycles on the trail. The victims positively identified the
suspect from a photograph. UCPD contacted the suspect who admitted to
holding a saw in front of some bicyclists on a trail and contacting
one of them with the saw. The suspect was subsequently taken into
custody. One of the victims suffered minor injuries during the
assault. Additional charges may be filed from similar incidences on
the fire trail including one reported in a crime alert on May 6, 2010.

The suspect is described as:

VANDEMAN, Michael J., a White non-affiliated male, 67 years of age.

He's supplied the DA with plenty of premeditation / motive/ intent via
his Usenet postings/rants..

Let's see ... two middle aged men vs. one elderly man? I wonder who was
being aggressive first.

What we need now is for Ed Dolan to serve as his defense attorney.

All these anti-Vandeman posts are absurd. It is the Lilliputians taking
their revenge. We KNOW there is more to the story than what has been
reported. If the moutain bikers were typical California yahoos, it is a
wonder the Great Mike Vandeman did not slaughter them outright. Yea, a
"California chainsaw massacre" is what is needed.

Ed, by YOUR OWN STANDARDS, these bike riders were engaged in a permissible
activity! They were riding on a vehicle route, not on a hiking trail.

Jeff: You'll note that Ed is advocating violence, mass murder to be exact. Not a
good thing to be doing these days. I've forwarded copies of Ed's post to both
the US Justice Department, and the Minnesota Attorney General's office, so thay
can decide whether or not he's a threat to society.

Old June 3rd 10, 06:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bob Berger[_2_]

Shut the door, lock and latch it,
here comes Mikey with a brand new hatchet.

(Apologies to the Chad Mitchell Trio)

Old June 3rd 10, 07:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
Let's see ... two middle aged men vs. one elderly man? I wonder who was
being aggressive first.

What we need now is for Ed Dolan to serve as his defense attorney.

All these anti-Vandeman posts are absurd. It is the Lilliputians taking
their revenge. We KNOW there is more to the story than what has been
reported. If the moutain bikers were typical California yahoos, it is a
wonder the Great Mike Vandeman did not slaughter them outright. Yea, a
"California chainsaw massacre" is what is needed.

Ed, by YOUR OWN STANDARDS, these bike riders were engaged in a permissible
activity! They were riding on a vehicle route, not on a hiking trail.

I think the above may be the crux of the matter. I strongly suspect that
bicycles were prohibited on that trail. Mountain bikers are notorious for
being scofflaws and criminals.

Vandeman is charged with assault with a deadly weapon, and should be
charged with attempted murder. (Actually, charging him with attempted
murder would raise the bar enough that he might actually be set free by a
jury.)

The above statement is absurd. Mr. Vandeman would not hurt a fly. You have
him confused with me. I swat flies all the time. He was most likely
defending himself from assault by two criminal mountain bikers who had no
business being on that trail in the first place.

But I like the way Jeff and others leap to judgment. Guilty until proven
innocent!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 3rd 10, 07:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"SMS" wrote in message
[...]

SMS does not know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Well, Vandeman is a PhD, after all, and should have a well paying job at
the university. He looks like a hobo in the booking shot though.

EVERYONE looks bad in a booking photo. Hells Bells, I even look bad in my
driver's license photo. Get real!

All I can say is, "Mike, don't drop the soap."

Just because you would like to be ****ed does not mean everyone would like
to be ****ed.

Old June 3rd 10, 07:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
All I can say is, "Mike, don't drop the soap."

Just because you would like to be ****ed does not mean everyone would like
to be ****ed.

This is a sublety that has escaped you, Mike's the one in jail, not me.
Whether I wanted to be ****ed in the ass or not, Mike's the one with the
opportunity -- don't drop the soap, Michael.

FOR THE RECORD
My ass is an Exit Only.

Old June 3rd 10, 07:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

[...]

According to the report -- a booking report, I might add -- the route was a
vehicle route because a FIRE ROAD is intended for vehicles to carry firemen
and equipment (fire trucks) into the fire area. It is a vehicle route, and
therefore not a hiking trail where you assert that bikes should never be
found.

Whether they are scoflaws and criminals is really not the point here.
Michael J. Vandeman sits in jail for criminally assaulting somebody engaged
in an activity that you heretofore have stated is permissible.

Vandeman is charged with assault with a deadly weapon, and should be
charged with attempted murder. (Actually, charging him with attempted
murder would raise the bar enough that he might actually be set free by a
jury.)

The above statement is absurd. Mr. Vandeman would not hurt a fly.

The booking report tends to dispute that statement.

You have
him confused with me. I swat flies all the time. He was most likely
defending himself from assault by two criminal mountain bikers who had no
business being on that trail in the first place.

But I like the way Jeff and others leap to judgment. Guilty until proven
innocent!

Dude, I'm just reading the booking report. They don't normally throw the
victim(s) of a violent assault in jail for assaulting the person with the
weapon. Normally the person with the weapon goes to jail on the assault
charge.

You being a nermit and all, must not come out of your cave very often.

Old June 3rd 10, 07:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bill Weir" wrote in message
[...]

Ed Dolan will advise Mike to use powdered soap as it takes longer to

pick up.

I have advised Bill Weir to go **** TM's monkeys, but he never listens to
me. Yea, Bill Weir is the master of ****, **** and ****, but he is just all
talk. I would like to see some action.

****ing Regards,

Old June 3rd 10, 08:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bob Berger" wrote in message
[...]
Jeff: You'll note that Ed is advocating violence, mass murder to be exact.
Not a
good thing to be doing these days. I've forwarded copies of Ed's post to
both
the US Justice Department, and the Minnesota Attorney General's office, so
thay
can decide whether or not he's a threat to society.

You are a threat to your own ass, but too stupid to realize it.

If every mountain biker were to croak tomorrow the world would be a far, far
better place.

Now go **** yourself and quit bothering us rational folks.

****ing Regards,

Old June 3rd 10, 08:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bob Berger" wrote in message
[...]
Jeff: You'll note that Ed is advocating violence, mass murder to be exact.
Not a
good thing to be doing these days. I've forwarded copies of Ed's post to
both
the US Justice Department, and the Minnesota Attorney General's office, so
thay
can decide whether or not he's a threat to society.

I hope you also referred the above offices to my many messages on various
newsgroups advocating the atom bombing of the whole of Iran. Now there is
some real violence for you. I have also advocated dropping an atom bomb on
Tom Sherman's head, but I will include your head too if you wish.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS: I have given your name to the local police department as I think you may
be insane and prone to violence.

for mike vandeman lowkey General 1 June 11th 05 02:32 PM
for mike vandeman lowkey Mountain Biking 0 June 11th 05 02:31 PM
an ode for mike vandeman lokey Social Issues 0 June 11th 05 12:34 AM
Mike Vandeman wizzard Mountain Biking 8 August 5th 04 04:26 AM
Mike Vandeman Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 8 July 19th 03 03:40 AM