Death on ride today

Old August 3rd 04, 12:45 AM
Rob & Shel

Default Death on ride today

It might have been pure bad luck or that he was un-aware of the risks, but
there's no point in prompting fate if one has had a significant health
warning.

Reckon it's better to take a conservative approach & lie low for a bit if
something isn't quite right...of course nothing is perfect for many.
I'd rather ride on other days & be free of doubt.....I'm sure my partner &
rellies agree. I certainly want to stick around for a bit even if it is in
an armchair or riding only downhills as I did during a heart attack rehab
some years ago.

Rob

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Michael Warner wrote:

...snip....

- If you're at high medical risk, think about the effect your death

would
have on your loved ones before you go on a strenuous ride, even with
others. I guess a quick death while riding isn't a bad way to go, but
there's usually more at stake.

I disagree with you comments. Particularly in light of the event. Life
is for living and none of us can be absolutely sure when we are going to
go. That particular person could have sat around for the rest of their
life waiting for that clot to move.

Old August 3rd 04, 01:15 AM
jcjordan

atacca Wrote:
My condolences to his family and friends. I hope it doesn't play on
your
mind too much, sounds like you did as much as you could.

First Aid courses are essential, I'm about to do my third and will
progress
further. I f every kid can do it through primary/high school and keep
one
of those EAR/CPR cards in their wallets hopefully there will almost
always
be a least one person who will step forward when needed.

Daniel.

{QUOTE]

I was on that ride. It was unfortunate for him as he had all the help
in the world to. A doctor was riding not far behind and the ambulance
was there in no time. At least he went out doing somthing he loved (as
told to me by someone who knew him).

I agree with you about EAR/CPR, i have carried one of those St John key
ring face masks for the last 5 years just in case i may need it.

--
jcjordan

Old August 3rd 04, 06:11 AM
Michael Warner

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:51:38 +1000, Terry Collins wrote:

I disagree with you comments.

In what respect, exactly? That we should take the concerns and feelings of
others into account when deciding what risks to subject ourselves to? I
didn't claim that he shouldn't have ridden.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old August 3rd 04, 07:04 AM
Graeme

"Marty Wallace" wrote in
om.au:

I'm doing the Avon this weekend as part of a team. I've done the last
three years as a solo and I was going to have a break this year but
some friends needed an extra body to make up a team of four. The water
level looks a bit low but I'm doing the easy stages.

I'm jealous. I did consider doing it this year, but time and my fitness
level didn't suit. Hopefully next year.

Graeme