ALDI selling men's roadbike from 2/2

Old January 30th 06, 10:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default ALDI selling men's roadbike from 2/2

Spotted this ad in the local junk mail and thought I would share. Might
be a decent bike to throw on the wind trainer. Tyres are 700c * 28
. This reminds me of the days when McEwans sold 10 speed racers
(oops, just showing my age there!).

http://www.apexf1.com/diecast/aldi.jpg

--
oztrev

Old January 30th 06, 10:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

oztrev Wrote:
Spotted this ad in the local junk mail and thought I would share. Might
be a decent bike to throw on the wind trainer. Tyres are 700c * 28
. This reminds me of the days when McEwans sold 10 speed racers
(oops, just showing my age there!).

Can't read the finer details, whats the gruppo? Surely at this price it
has to be Campy Record.

*ducks*

--
cfsmtb

Old January 30th 06, 11:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
Can't read the finer details, whats the gruppo? Surely at this price it
has to be Campy Record.

*ducks*

http://www.aldi.com.au/product_01/print.html

from Thursday 2nd February - while stocks last

14 Speed Alloy Mens Road Bike
Limit of 2 per customer

# Oversized and ovalised alloy body
# Lightweight alloy frame and rims
# Shimano derailleurs
# Quick release front wheel [so carry a spanner for the rear?]
# Reflector pack included
# Two-tone black and blue
# Alloy road pedals complete with toeclips and straps
# 95% assembled
# Ergonomic handlebar with alloy sleeve
# Quick release seat post [WT, on a road bike?]
# 700c, aero blade fork
# 700c x 28c black Kenda dual tread tyre

no mention of brakes, what does that mean?

--
aeek

Old January 30th 06, 11:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
Can't read the finer details, whats the gruppo? Surely at this price it
has to be Campy Record.

*ducks* lol

It's a 14 speed bike with friction shifters on the down tube.

I reckon it would be good for someone who wants to get into road
riding on a limited budget. I think with 28mm tyres, the bike would
just about be able to stand up by itself though!

edit: aeek beat me to the finer print details.

--
oztrev

Old January 30th 06, 11:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb wrote:

Can't read the finer details, whats the gruppo? Surely at this price it
has to be Campy Record.

No its $himano

http://www.aldi.com.au/product_01/product_51.html

Buy two so you have one spare when the original breaks

Parbs
Old January 30th 06, 11:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

aeek Wrote:
[url]
# 95% assembled

snippage

no mention of brakes, what does that mean?

Question answered in your original response. Logical, or do we have to
attach the bell & reflectors as well?

--
cfsmtb

Old January 30th 06, 12:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-30, oztrev (aka Bruce)

cfsmtb Wrote:
Can't read the finer details, whats the gruppo? Surely at this price it
has to be Campy Record.

*ducks* lol

It's a 14 speed bike with friction shifters on the down tube.

I reckon it would be good for someone who wants to get into road
riding on a limited budget. I think with 28mm tyres, the bike would
just about be able to stand up by itself though!

I wouldn't scoff at it. It's affordablish, and it's competition in
the road market. It may get more people on bikes (although it may
well be damned uncomfortable too).

I'm trying to see where it fits in with my overall plan for the 14
bikes I need. Closest I came up with was a pub bike, but you want pub
bikes to be theft proof, and I'm guessing that given it looks like a
road bike, it would still be quite suseptable to stealage.

Wouldn't make it my commuter -- you want commuters to be enjoyable and
reliable... And have no desire for a wind trainer.

--
TimC
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall
Old January 30th 06, 02:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"oztrev" wrote in message
news

Spotted this ad in the local junk mail and thought I would share. Might
be a decent bike to throw on the wind trainer.

looks ok to me. for the price in fact it looks like a good deal for someone
who doesn't have the skills to fix or maintain something "old". so long as
they've got a friend to do a once off "set it up" for them. Downtube
shifters are kinda nice too...

Cheers
David M

Old January 30th 06, 03:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle

oztrev wrote:
Spotted this ad in the local junk mail and thought I would share. Might
be a decent bike to throw on the wind trainer. Tyres are 700c * 28
. This reminds me of the days when McEwans sold 10 speed racers
(oops, just showing my age there!).

http://www.apexf1.com/diecast/aldi.jpg

The clue is in the URL. "diecast"

Old January 30th 06, 11:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle

The bloke [in the picture] is riding on the wrong side of the road.
Is that because he has just realised what he's bought?

My thing about cheaper bicycles is that, there is no requirement for
quality & reliability required for bikes. Like clock radios, the
manufacturer/seller offers a replacement 'warrantee' if it breaks. But
unlike a clock radio, a bike can fail somewhat more catastrophically
which might result in more than a missed appointment.

sure not many people 'race', but who wants to be descending at 55kms/hr
with unresponsive brakes or a seat post that always slides down
regardless how tight you do it up. The buckled rims are always a fav.

--
Marx SS

Aldi Naqerj UK 1 November 14th 05 09:02 PM
Aldi bike specials this week Dallas G Australia 7 January 27th 05 08:55 AM
Aldi offers John Pitcock UK 11 September 21st 04 12:39 AM
Cycle Computers in Aldi? Colin Davidson UK 14 July 28th 04 04:32 PM
Women's vs. men's saddles nopcbs General 44 May 27th 04 01:33 PM