Newbie advice

Old April 20th 07, 01:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

Default Newbie advice

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:51:51 -0700, Bleve wrote:

I hit a wombat last night in westerfolds park (actually, it hit me,
three(!) times ... third time it took my front wheel out from under
me), and my rarely used MTB now needs a new front wheel

Depending on what hub it is, you're probably better off just doing a rim
swap. I know I was sorely tempted to bling up the front of my bike when I
killed a front wheel, but ended up just putting a nice rim on rather than
a hub/rim combo.

I suspect you know someone who can lace it as well.

--
Dave Hughes |
"Some drink from the Fountain of Knowledge... Others just gargle."
Old April 20th 07, 01:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Plodder

"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 19, 9:27 am, thefathippy wrote:
On Apr 18, 3:32 pm, Bean Long wrote:

Be mindful, if you seriously get into road cycling
you might end up with an expensive habit! :-)

hehe - back to my original points - re-evaluate your budget!

Tony F
who finds mtbing can be an expensive habit, and better go order that
new derailleur now...

I hit a wombat last night in westerfolds park (actually, it hit me,
three(!) times ... third time it took my front wheel out from under
me), and my rarely used MTB now needs a new front wheel

Someone HAS to ask: Three times??? How???

me

Old April 20th 07, 07:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-20, Plodder (aka Bruce)
"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...
I hit a wombat last night in westerfolds park (actually, it hit me,
three(!) times ... third time it took my front wheel out from under
me), and my rarely used MTB now needs a new front wheel

Someone HAS to ask: Three times??? How???

For the same reason you can get dents in the back of your car from a
kangaroo -- they're viscous, and will attack a stationary object.

Incidentally, the telescope operator's car has a bar in it to finish
off any injured kangaroos. Haven't had to use it.

--
TimC
It typically takes 25-30 gallons of petrol/diesel to fully-consume an
Old April 20th 07, 07:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Apr 20, 4:08 pm, TimC -
On 2007-04-20, Plodder (aka Bruce)

"Bleve" wrote in message
roups.com...
I hit a wombat last night in westerfolds park (actually, it hit me,
three(!) times ... third time it took my front wheel out from under
me), and my rarely used MTB now needs a new front wheel

Someone HAS to ask: Three times??? How???

For the same reason you can get dents in the back of your car from a
kangaroo -- they're viscous, and will attack a stationary object.

Incidentally, the telescope operator's car has a bar in it to finish
off any injured kangaroos. Haven't had to use it.

Kangaroos would be a bit viscous after being run over three times and
beaten to death with an iron bar ;-)

Old April 20th 07, 12:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2007-04-20, Donga wrote:
On Apr 20, 4:08 pm, TimC -
astro.swin.edu.au wrote:

For the same reason you can get dents in the back of your car from a
kangaroo -- they're viscous, and will attack a stationary object.

Incidentally, the telescope operator's car has a bar in it to finish
off any injured kangaroos. Haven't had to use it.

Kangaroos would be a bit viscous after being run over three times and
beaten to death with an iron bar ;-)

Surely that would make them runnier?

--
John
Christmas is weird. What other time of the year do you sit in front of a dead
Old April 20th 07, 12:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-20, John Pitts (aka Bruce)
On 2007-04-20, Donga wrote:
On Apr 20, 4:08 pm, TimC -
astro.swin.edu.au wrote:

For the same reason you can get dents in the back of your car from a
kangaroo -- they're viscous, and will attack a stationary object.

Incidentally, the telescope operator's car has a bar in it to finish
off any injured kangaroos. Haven't had to use it.

Kangaroos would be a bit viscous after being run over three times and
beaten to death with an iron bar ;-)

Surely that would make them runnier?

Not once they dry out. The smell stays with you for weeks after
riding past them.

So we had a question at work recently: If the body is kept at 37
degrees while alive, nothing goes rotten. Is the liver really doing
that much work to remove toxins, such that when it stops doing work
(ie, death), the body goes really *really* pungent after just a couple
of hours *particularly* if the body is kept at 37 degrees?

--
TimC
Beating is one thing .... pounding accompanied by the shakes is a bit
Old April 20th 07, 01:06 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:42:30 +1000, TimC wrote:

So we had a question at work recently: If the body is kept at 37
degrees while alive, nothing goes rotten. Is the liver really doing
that much work to remove toxins, such that when it stops doing work
(ie, death), the body goes really *really* pungent after just a couple
of hours *particularly* if the body is kept at 37 degrees?

It's not so much the liver as the fact that most bits are being replaced
fairly frequently, and there are a variety of systems in place to get rid
of assorted nasties. The liver will do some filtering of those bits, but a
fair bit will also be done by the kidneys, or the nasties won't even get
out of the intestine thanks to the mucus secretions.

Dave - who is doing a course on this kind of thing at uni. Interesting
mix of stuff I know well enough to teach and stuff I've got no clue on.

--
Dave Hughes |
"SCSI is *not* magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why it is
Old April 20th 07, 02:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2007-04-20, John Pitts (aka Bruce)
On 2007-04-20, Donga wrote:
On Apr 20, 4:08 pm, TimC -
astro.swin.edu.au wrote:

For the same reason you can get dents in the back of your car from a
kangaroo -- they're viscous, and will attack a stationary object.

Incidentally, the telescope operator's car has a bar in it to finish
off any injured kangaroos. Haven't had to use it.

Kangaroos would be a bit viscous after being run over three times and
beaten to death with an iron bar ;-)

Surely that would make them runnier?

Not once they dry out. The smell stays with you for weeks after
riding past them.

That's one good reason not to ride along the main highways out here.

The other reason is the danger that you might end up like the 'roo.

--
John
Write a wise saying and your name will live forever. -- Anonymous
Old April 20th 07, 02:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-20, John Pitts (aka Bruce)
On 2007-04-20, John Pitts (aka Bruce)
On 2007-04-20, Donga wrote:
Kangaroos would be a bit viscous after being run over three times and
beaten to death with an iron bar ;-)

Surely that would make them runnier?

Not once they dry out. The smell stays with you for weeks after
riding past them.

That's one good reason not to ride along the main highways out here.

The other reason is the danger that you might end up like the 'roo.

Ever since the tour de bungles, I have seen many a bike up and down
the mountain, along the highway, and in the back of observer's cars
when they come up from Epping.

Dunno. Must be the season for riding or somehting. But I think the
locals are used to us by now.

--
TimC
VBScript is designed to be a secure programming environment. It
Old April 20th 07, 10:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2007-04-20, TimC wrote:
Ever since the tour de bungles, I have seen many a bike up and down
the mountain, along the highway, and in the back of observer's cars
when they come up from Epping.

Dunno. Must be the season for riding or somehting. But I think the
locals are used to us by now.

That's good. I've noticed a large increase in the number of cyclists on
the road in the three years I've been living here.

The main highways that pass through Dubbo are scary. Lots of big
trucks moving fast.

The back roads are fine - not much traffic and the locals are very
considerate of cyclists. There are lots of great routes to ride without
going on the highway.

--
John
It's not rocket surgery.

Newbie looking for advice in UK Kahuna Mountain Biking 7 October 27th 06 10:38 PM
Newbie would like some advice Vince Unicycling 4 July 20th 06 12:19 AM
Newbie advice dbp_1999 Unicycling 5 August 12th 04 04:09 PM
Newbie.........advice EA Pissant Mountain Biking 8 October 10th 03 02:37 AM
Newbie Advice Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 8 August 17th 03 09:01 PM