Stolen - Avanti Hardtail MTB, Federation Square Melb.

Old August 28th 03, 05:12 PM
Al User

Default Stolen - Avanti Hardtail MTB, Federation Square Melb.

Jose Rizal wrote:

Tim Jones:

Can't say how they broke the cable lock as they left nothing behind but I

wont be using a cable lock ever again.

FWIW, I think that the way they get quickly through some types of locks is
to spray some really cold gas into the mechanism, then hit it with a hammer.
Some locks can (from only here-say that I have picked up) have the mechanism
broken and opened up using this method.

You'd have to have a decent amount of liquid nitrogen or other frozen
gas-turned-liquid, as well as time, to be able to freeze the metal lock
innards to such a temperature that it becomes brittle. Liquid nitro
etc. is not cheap nor conveniently portable/deliverable, and much too
time consuming to use as a freezing medium for a lock, even if you had
enough of it. Cables are much easily and quickly cut by cable cutters.

Bike lock companies push the plastic-covered chain-type locks as higher
security items, presumably because it's a bit more difficult to get
access to the flat sides of the links to cut these with cable cutters.

I agree. The frozen lock method sounds like it is straight out of the movies.
Never thought it would be practical.

I think the thieves are using something like these with cable locks

http://www.rodefeld-sales.com/graphi.../baudat_vc.jpg
VCS 22 Single handed Cable cutter with ratchet mechanism and gear change.
Cutting material - Flexible wire ropes up to 16mm dia.
length: 290mm weight: 1.0 kg
Forged cutting blades. Heat treated and specially hardened.
Ratchet action multiplies power.

http://www.rodefeld-sales.com/graphi...baudat_hc2.jpg
HCS 22
Cable cutter with ratchet mechanism
Cutting material: Flexible steel ropes up to 20mm dia.
length: 430mm
weight: 1.4 kg

Old August 29th 03, 12:19 AM
gaza

Bike lock companies push the plastic-covered chain-type locks as higher
security items, presumably because it's a bit more difficult to get
access to the flat sides of the links to cut these with cable cutters.

What are the best type of locks?
Obviously chains/cable/U locks can all be cut somehow , someway.
I suppose it comes down to , what is the slowest and hardest to cut?
I've a fairly heavy chain/padlock combination with an old tube slipped over
to stop the scratches, but it is pretty heavy to cart around.
I always thought one day I may pop along to a heat-treatment shop and get it
case hardened just to make it that bit stronger.
Then again if I do that I would probably be better to get a smaller chain
but make it stronger.

Old August 29th 03, 01:27 AM
Jose Rizal

gaza:

What are the best type of locks?
Obviously chains/cable/U locks can all be cut somehow , someway.
I suppose it comes down to , what is the slowest and hardest to cut?
I've a fairly heavy chain/padlock combination with an old tube slipped over
to stop the scratches, but it is pretty heavy to cart around.
I always thought one day I may pop along to a heat-treatment shop and get it
case hardened just to make it that bit stronger.
Then again if I do that I would probably be better to get a smaller chain
but make it stronger.

"Light weight" usually translates to "easily cut". I think
heat-hardened U-locks provide a good deterrent to thieves. Two of
these, one between the front wheel and down tube, and one between the
rear wheel and seat tube, with either or both also being attached to a
secure object, should provide adequate deterrence in reasonably
populated areas. I've seen some take their pedals or seatposts off; how
bad is the place where you leave your bike?

Of course nothing's completely thief-proof, given enough time,
especially in non-too-frequented areas and/or under darkness.