What do you wear when it starts getting cold?

Old November 25th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
IUni

Default What do you wear when it starts getting cold?

There is a lot of new soft shell material available. Kind of expensive
though.

Check out www.mec.ca

--
IUni

Old November 25th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

IUni;1137630 wrote:
There is a lot of new soft shell material available. Kind of expensive
though.

Check out www.mec.ca

I work for MEC . I really wish I could get a fusion or coalition
jacket. Best soft shells out there right now.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old November 25th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

how cold are we talking? I just wear whatever I happen to be wearing
that day unless I am going for a seriously long ride. Once it is around
-25 or colder I like to wear ski goggles to keep my eyes from freezing
in the wind (road rides and commuting)

I am a big fan of wool. Wool is Warm, Cotton Kills and Fleece is nice
and fuzzy

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 25th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ktkartch

what kinda gloves to you guys use cause the kh wrist ones just don't
keep me warm and they mess up my riding cause of the leather seating i
dono.....

--
ktkartch
Old November 25th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

Yeah... your definition of cold on this one will make a big difference
on how you dress. I like a pair of wrap around ear muffs with my helmet
and then a decently warm hoodie or two. That's if it's just cool... as
in above -10. (celcius)

You can block off some of the vents in your helmet, that helps cut the
wind chill a bit.

--
madmattunipro

Unicycle For Christ

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
Old November 25th 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Buretto

When it's cold, I have one of those Pearl Izumi headbands (lots of
others make them, too) to put on before my helmet. If it's really windy
too, I'll also put a bandana on under the helmet.
I will also cast another vote for the removable arm warmers. I have an
old pair by Castelli that are super warm... they're made out of some
combo of fleece and lycra.
The only thing that I'm missing right now are knee warmers. I don;t
know about anyone else, but my knees are affected by the cold more than
anything else.

--
Buretto
Old November 25th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

ktkartch;1137706 wrote:
what kinda gloves to you guys use cause the kh wrist ones just don't
keep me warm and they mess up my riding cause of the leather seating i
dono.....

I put on some mitts over the KH gloves. I use leather gauntlet mitts
with removable wool lining.

sort of like this but with no tassels.
[image:
http://authenticcanadianmukluks.com/...%20fringe.jpg]
If it isn't that cold and you still want to use individual fingers you
could also throw on a pair of work gloves that are a size too big over
your KH gloves.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 25th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tim_desmet

lol 25°C is hot !!!!
now it is like 4°C over here...
just wear a sweater
mostly I start with a sweater, but after like 10 minutes I take my
sweater off

--
tim_desmet

-- Sorry for my bad english --
Old November 25th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nimblelight

Generally it's:
t-shirt down to freezing(hooded sweatshirt if I'm not warmed up),
t-shirt, hat and gloves down to 10 degrees Fahrenheit(again, hoodie if
I'm not warmed up),
hoodie down to 0(might take it off if I'm really working hard, might
have a flanel shirt or something similar on underneath), commence
thicker socks
fleece coat and insulated pants down to -20(yes, and hat and gloves),
all of the above with ski goggles, something to breathe through and
good boots down to -40,
below -40 is pretty rare and I haven't unicycled in it, but I have run
outside for a minute to marvel at the effects of -60 degree weather

I've run in the snow without any shoes on down to 5 degrees Fahrenheit,
but in hindsight that was rather stupid(and some other clothing might
have been wise as well)
And obviously I add/remove layers as I overheat or get cold,

--
nimblelight

'Front page unicycle article'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=72686).
Old December 14th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

ktkartch;1137706 wrote:
what kinda gloves to you guys use cause the kh wrist ones just don't
keep me warm and they mess up my riding cause of the leather seating i
dono.....

I just got a pair of 'Novara Cold Front'
(http://www.rei.com/product/757067) gloves, and they rock. If anything,
they're too warm for most applications. I went for a ride today to test
out various cold weather gear combinations in preparation for the
'Chilly Hilly' (http://www.cascade.org/EandR/chilly/index.cfm) ride in
February. The temp was 33 degrees F (just a nick above freezing for you
Celcius fans), and this was the first ride with the gloves where the
temperature was cold enough that my hands didn't cook. They stayed
toasty, but didn't overheat.

Here's the rest of my cold/wet weather set-up, from bottom up:

-ski socks and my Merrill insulated hiking boots

-chamois riding shorts first, then my Eddie Bauer poly long-john
bottoms, then my REI rain pants

-REI long sleeve underwear top, with REI fleece top over that. Novara
convertible windbreaker on top of that. The sleeves zip off if it gets
warmer, and I'll pack a rain top in case it starts raining or snowing.

-The aforementioned Cold Front gloves

--On top, my Descente ski helmet liner to keep in my head heat

That was today's setup, 33 degrees and light rain which turned to snow
halfway through. Worked great, I was warm the full ride, without
getting too sweaty or overheating. When my core started feeling too
warm, I just unzipped the windbreaker and cooled off. For the second
half of the ride, I took off the helmet liner, which seemed to equalize
my core temp. From there, I never got too warm to the point of having
to unzip the windbreaker. But my ears got cold, so I may need to figure
out a different head covering strategy.

The only thing I didn't like about the setup was riding with my hiking
boots. I'm used to riding with my Van's sneakers, but those aren't warm
or waterproof, and my Merrills are both. But they add weight, and I was
definitely noticing that on the hills. Originally wanted to wear my snow
clogs, but couldn't find them in my mess of a garage.

Still two months before the Chilly, so more research to come...

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...