Tricky Dick vs. Thudbuster: durability

Old April 23rd 04, 03:02 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Tricky Dick vs. Thudbuster: durability

I've broken two Thudbusters, one the old design and one the new
design. I'm 210 pounds and use the suspension post for rough
off-road riding. I dislike telescoping suspension posts (and
destroyed the one I tried pretty quickly). Is the Tamer Tricky Dick
any more durable, and does it offer adjustability like the
Thudbuster?
--
Rick Onanian
Old April 23rd 04, 10:15 PM
Pat

I've broken two Thudbusters, one the old design and one the new
design. I'm 210 pounds and use the suspension post for rough
off-road riding. I dislike telescoping suspension posts (and
destroyed the one I tried pretty quickly). Is the Tamer Tricky Dick
any more durable, and does it offer adjustability like the
Thudbuster?
--
Rick Onanian

I hope you didn't hurt yourself when they broke. Can you tell me how you did
it and what happened?

Pat in TX

Old April 23rd 04, 11:04 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:15:38 -0500, "Pat" wrote:
I've broken two Thudbusters, one the old design and one the new
design. I'm 210 pounds and use the suspension post for rough
off-road riding. I dislike telescoping suspension posts (and

I hope you didn't hurt yourself when they broke. Can you tell me how you did
it and what happened?

Thanks, I wasn't hurt. I've been lucky with my lack of injuries.

Both broke the same way, the bike coming down hard and my ass giving
the saddle a big push. The first one was coming over a 10" log, and
the second one (yesterday) was coming off a small jump. While I hit
that jump on the way into the trail every time, I'm so out of
practice that my legs didn't absorb enough (or maybe the seatpost
was ready to go).

Anyway, both bent where the standard seatpost piece goes into the
suspension piece. The first one actually broke entirely off at that
point. Yesterday's just bent and I was able to sit while riding back
to the truck.

I've also broken too-soft elastomers a number of times. The
recommended ones don't offer much thud busting.

Read the epic story of that ride on rec.bicycles.rides under the
subject "Curse be damned, I got to ride!"...
--
Rick Onanian