Brandt on soldred/tied spoking

Old April 9th 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Brandt on soldred/tied spoking

On 4/9/2015 5:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 9:08:04 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/9/2015 10:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 3:03:07 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
Like I said no one at the ER has ever asked me if I was
wearing a helmet.

In the US, the ED staff is working from a script -- an Epic charting system or home-grown electronic charting system that takes them through a list of questions for every MVA/bike incident. It will have a helmet question as a means of gathering information about helmet usage and screening for head injuries. It will also ask about alcohol use, smoking and a lot of other stuff that has appears to have nothing to do with road rash.

... which means, "Of course you should wear a helmet!" promotion is
leading to the collection of data to be used for helmet promotion. But
_only_ for people on two-wheelers* - i.e. bicycles and motorcycles.

Yes, Frank, it's all part of the giant conspiracy out to enslave your head. Listen carefully . . . you can hear them whispering inside the walls.

Huh. I thought those were mice.

But is there any reason you use to justify fear mongering for such a
safe activity?

Since bicycling causes only a minuscule proportion of the nation's TBI,
it seems the campaign makes less sense on a "cost to society" basis than
this one:
http://la.streetsblog.org/wp-content...crop-scale.jpg

Since bicycling is at least as safe as many other activities (like
walking down the street) it seems to fail on a "risk to the individual"
basis. This makes more sense:
http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/08...od-helmet.html

And since cycling's benefits tremendously outweigh it's tiny risks, it
seems to fail on a "net benefit to society" basis, if almost anyone says
"If it's that dangerous, I'm not riding."

Is the justification just increased prosperity caused by styrofoam
manufacturer trickle-down economics?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 10th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 4/8/2015 7:54 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 09:51:58 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 4/8/2015 9:35 AM, Joe Riel wrote:
John B. Slocomb writes:

On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 00:35:23 -0500, "T0m $herman"
wrote:

On 4/8/2015 12:30 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 23:44:26 -0500, "T0m $herman"
wrote:

On 2/22/2015 9:35 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 05:52:02 -0800,
wrote:
On 2/22/2015 3:58 AM, Earls61 wrote:
How is Jobst doing? Has anybody heard anything?

snip

At work, I know someone who knows him slightly. All I heard was that
he has a caretaker.

Think about the choices you make and the implications.
The implication being...?

The World's Greatest Expertâ„¢ thinks if Jobst Brandt had been wearing a
Magic Foam Bicycle Hatâ„¢, he would still be actively riding and posting
to RBT.

I thought that Brandt broke his hip initially. Do they have helmets
for hips now?

According to Thompson, Rivara, Thompson, Magic Foam Bicycle Hats prevent
69% of leg injuries.

Damn! I must be in the low 31% as it didn't help me a bit when I
crashed :-(

That explains why, after crashing and breaking my femur, the
EMTs, nurses, and doctors asked whether I was wearing a helmet.
Probably I was wearing it wrongly...

http://www.wired.com/2014/01/how-to-wear-a-bike-helmet/

Two arms, two legs, and a head? Bike shops gonna get rich selling
helmets.

Knee, hip, back, elbow, and shoulder armor really does work, but it is
too hot, restrictive, and heavy for any type of non-gravity powered
bicycling.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old April 10th 15, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 4/9/2015 11:08 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/9/2015 10:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 3:03:07 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
Like I said no one at the ER has ever asked me if I was
wearing a helmet.

In the US, the ED staff is working from a script -- an Epic charting
system or home-grown electronic charting system that takes them
through a list of questions for every MVA/bike incident. It will have
a helmet question as a means of gathering information about helmet
usage and screening for head injuries. It will also ask about alcohol
use, smoking and a lot of other stuff that has appears to have nothing
to do with road rash.

... which means, "Of course you should wear a helmet!" promotion is
leading to the collection of data to be used for helmet promotion. But
_only_ for people on two-wheelers* - i.e. bicycles and motorcycles.

At least on the moto the helmet provides needed protection against small
debris such as kicked up gravel, large insects (e.g. June bugs), rain
(bare face at 70 mph - no thanks), sun UV, and cold, penetration by
rocks and branches when crashing off-road, as well as abrasion
protection when things go pear shaped.

I still think something like the old Skid Lid would be good for cycling
- much lower profile than an egg-crate lid, so less chance of one's head
contacting the ground in a fall leading to internal brain rotation,
while still providing bump and scrape protection for the scalp.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old April 10th 15, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 4/9/2015 4:57 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/9/2015 5:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Yes, Frank, it's all part of the giant conspiracy out to enslave your
head. Listen carefully . . . you can hear them whispering inside the
walls.

Huh. I thought those were mice.

I once worked in a squirrel infested building - little buggers would run
back and forth on top of the false ceiling. One day a women came
screaming out of the bathroom because a squirrel fell through.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old April 10th 15, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Yes, Frank, it's all part of the giant conspiracy out to enslave your head. Listen carefully . . . you can hear them whispering inside the walls.

BOMB BOMB BOMB .... BOMB BOMB IRAN

BAAAAHHHHHM IIIIRAAAAAAAHHN

PLEASE USE MUH PLAAAAAAAAN
BAAAAHM IRAAAAAAAN

GOT ME ROCKIN N ROLLING ROCKIN N REELING BOMB IRAN

BOMB BOMB BOMB BAAHM BAAAHM IRAAAN

Old April 10th 15, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/9/2015 8:14 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
On 4/9/2015 4:57 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/9/2015 5:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Yes, Frank, it's all part of the giant conspiracy out to enslave your
head. Listen carefully . . . you can hear them whispering inside the
walls.

Huh. I thought those were mice.

I once worked in a squirrel infested building - little buggers would run
back and forth on top of the false ceiling. One day a women came
screaming out of the bathroom because a squirrel fell through.

We've had two home invasions by red squirrels. The first one chewed
through a fascia board to gain access to the attic. The second one tore
through a screen to get at the bird seed my wife left in our bedroom.

I've heard of houses burning down because of squirrel-chewed wiring. I
now consider red squirrels to be enemies, suitable for target practice.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 10th 15, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:
[...]

During your absence there was a discussion about helmets and someone
commented that what he was looking for was light weight and cool. So
perhaps foam armor with ventilation holes is the answer.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old April 10th 15, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 2:57:22 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

If a person is in the emergency room with injuries from a bicycling-related accident, I think it is reasonable to ask about helmet use to (1) screen for head injury, and (2) gather data on helmet use. Keep in mind that the person is already in an emergency room for what he or she considers to be a serious injury(s). Most people do not go to the ER for road rash, but maybe that is SOP in Canada -- who knows. Anyway, I don't think fear needs to be mongered to people who have already been injured. It's not like they are ordering at McDonalds and the counter-person asks if they wear a helmet when riding a bike.

Perhaps Epic could impose a requirement that physicians tell cyclists who have been involved in accidents that "cycling is safer than walking!" They could also have a requirement to tell people who tripped while walking that "walking is safer than driving!" And tell drivers that driving is safer than skiing . . . and tell skiers that skiing is safer than, well, bull fighting! Everyone should feel good about everything because we're all unique little snowflakes and winners in our own right!

Damn, this is a bummer. Bicycling is at the top of the list for sports-related TBIs. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6039a1.htm Epic is going to have to punt on that one.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 10th 15, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jay scores search of the weak..

common sense ! which is surprise

tho Golf izza stunner...

Skakal vs The State

Fud vs Fud ?

boing ?

I had thought Golf was infor ankles and social diseases

Radial Spoking Pattern? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 13 October 18th 12 02:16 AM
Tied and--er . . . [email protected] Techniques 2 January 23rd 11 03:23 PM
tied for Bronze --D-y Racing 4 October 5th 10 12:21 PM
spoking a bike rim [email protected] Techniques 5 May 8th 07 03:35 AM
WalMart Spoking! [email protected] Techniques 9 February 24th 05 09:55 PM