CG women's road race

Old March 25th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default CG women's road race

Simon D wrote:
Tony Raven brought next idea :

Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the PVR to
watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

What a lightweight ;o)

There's an hours less kip tonight :-(

And anyway its only women's racing ;-) ducks

tt
Old March 25th 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

triddletree laid this down on his screen :
Simon D wrote:
Tony Raven brought next idea :

Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the PVR to
watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

What a lightweight ;o)

There's an hours less kip tonight :-(

Tell me about it.

And anyway its only women's racing ;-) ducks

Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

--
Simon
www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

Old March 26th 06, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon D formulated the question :
Simon D wrote:
Tony Raven brought next idea :

Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the PVR to
watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

What a lightweight ;o)

There's an hours less kip tonight :-(

Tell me about it.

And anyway its only women's racing ;-) ducks

Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

Or (now that we're getting near the end) possibly wise ;-)

Old March 26th 06, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon D wrote:

Tony Raven brought next idea :

Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the PVR
to watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

What a lightweight ;o)

There's an hours less kip tonight :-(

Tell me about it.

And anyway its only women's racing ;-) ducks

Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

Or (now that we're getting near the end) possibly wise ;-)

I'm pleased to see that clubruns have now made it to the Commonwealth
programme ;-)

tt
Old March 26th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

triddletree explained on 26/03/2006 :

Simon D wrote:

Tony Raven brought next idea :

Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the PVR to
watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

What a lightweight ;o)

There's an hours less kip tonight :-(

Tell me about it.

And anyway its only women's racing ;-) ducks

Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

Or (now that we're getting near the end) possibly wise ;-)

I'm pleased to see that clubruns have now made it to the Commonwealth
programme ;-)

Mmm. It's a bit challenging to get much "feel" for a race from a
written commentary, but it sounded a bit Australia-ed out.

Old March 26th 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , Simon D

Simon D wrote:

Tony Raven brought next idea :

Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the
PVR to watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

What a lightweight ;o)

There's an hours less kip tonight :-(

Tell me about it.

And anyway its only women's racing ;-) ducks

Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

Or (now that we're getting near the end) possibly wise ;-)

I'm pleased to see that clubruns have now made it to the Commonwealth
programme ;-)

Mmm. It's a bit challenging to get much "feel" for a race from a
written commentary, but it sounded a bit Australia-ed out.

A bunch of five went clear in the first lap. Four of them - one each from
England, New Zealand, Canada and Malaysia - worked hard for seven laps,
building up a four minute lead over the field, while Natalie Bates of
Australia just sat in the wheels doing bugger all. On the seventh lap
you could see her having increasingly urgent discussions with her coach
on the radio, and then she just went. At which point, the four who had
been working well together started playing silly buggers, and frittered
away their four minutes lead over the peloton in a single lap. If they
had continued to work together they would certainly have got silver and
bronze among them.

Bates, once she'd decided to go, rode the final two laps as a time trial;
out on her own, she actually increased her lead over the peloton to four
minutes 27 seconds, before winning be 3 minutes 5 seconds.

Nicole Cooke had a very frustrating race, with no team to support her,
and the Australians (particularly) obviously marking her and closing her
down every move she made. At the end, as solo rider in a field with at
least four very strong teams, getting bronze was pretty damn good.

There was apparently a bad crash in the first lap, but I didn't see it.

Anyone see the mens' race? My mate Gareth apparently failed to finish,
anyone know why?

;; ... exposing the violence incoherent in the system...
Old March 26th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

http://tinyurl.com/m7wdq
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media_acl/avdb...f5_16x9_bb.asx
Old March 26th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Simon D

Simon D wrote:

Tony Raven brought next idea :

Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the
PVR to watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

What a lightweight ;o)

There's an hours less kip tonight :-(

Tell me about it.

And anyway its only women's racing ;-) ducks

Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

Or (now that we're getting near the end) possibly wise ;-)

I'm pleased to see that clubruns have now made it to the Commonwealth
programme ;-)

Mmm. It's a bit challenging to get much "feel" for a race from a
written commentary, but it sounded a bit Australia-ed out.

A bunch of five went clear in the first lap. ..... On the seventh lap
you could see her having increasingly urgent discussions with her coach
on the radio, and then she just went. At which point, the four who had
been working well together started playing silly buggers, and frittered
away their four minutes lead over the peloton in a single lap.

A classic women's Race scenario. It was so predictable - wait until
someone makes a move then sit up waiting for someone else to react.
At least it gave Cooke the chance of a gong at the expense of a lost
chance for England.

tt
Old March 26th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I noticed the New Zealand rider crashed head first into the ground.

Pity she was wearing an helmet otherwise we could have viewed a fractured
skull.

Rusty Spokes

Old March 26th 06, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Rusty Spokes wrote:
I noticed the New Zealand rider crashed head first into the ground.

Pity she was wearing an helmet otherwise we could have viewed a fractured
skull.

Unlikely - if you watched the slo-mo replays they did last night you
would see it was more a roll onto her shoulder, as indicated by her
subsequently being carted off with her arm in a sling, and her helmet
was unmarked in the subsequent close ups. However Gollan, who went down
first, had her helmet scraping along the road where her head alone would
clearly have not touched. Its not discernible on the low resolution
on-line replay though and the close ups before Holt's helmet was taken
off are edited out.

--
Tony

right."