Women's Olympics Road Race

Old August 17th 04, 08:58 PM
Badger_South

Default Women's Olympics Road Race

Not to be chauvinistic, but I was a little surprised at how, uh, robust
most of the female riders looked. None of that 'gaunt, oft-sought look'
that Bob Roll referred to in the TdF.

I would have thought the typical body build would be very similar to the
men; long-legged, slim, taut-faced young women. I found short-torsoed,
almost pudgy, with little defo. Apparently huge engines in the little body,
though, as 75miles on that course in Athens must have been a kicker.

In a way, it's good, b/c that look would seem to preclude the typical 'diet
pressure' and attendant anorexia.

Is this an inaccurate take? Admittedly it's hard to tell much when the
person is mounted. I was just surprised not to see the gaunt faces and thin
skins - certainly not a good sign in most circumstances to be so thin as
the men sometimes are.

-B

Old August 17th 04, 09:19 PM
Mark Fennell

"Badger_South" wrote in message

[...]

I think television doesn't due them justice (assuming that you have just
seen them on tv). Look at:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...chaseOG804-059

for example; she's pretty cut and lean. I've ridden behind Linda Jackson,
Lynn Gaggioli, Dotsie Cowden, and Lyne Byssette either in races (don't ask)
or on group rides, and let me tell you, they are cut and lean. The sprinters
are a different story...

Mark

Old August 18th 04, 01:27 AM
MMan37x

I think television doesn't due them justice (assuming that you have just
seen them on tv). Look at:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...?id=women_rr/T

horburnchaseOG804-059

for example; she's pretty cut and lean. I've ridden behind Linda Jackson,
Lynn Gaggioli, Dotsie Cowden, and Lyne Byssette either in races (don't ask)
or on group rides, and let me tell you, they are cut and lean. The sprinters
are a different story...

Which sprinters? Have you seen Tina Mayolo-Pic up close?

Mark

M Man
Old August 18th 04, 02:03 AM
Sierraman

"MMan37x" wrote in message
I think television doesn't due them justice (assuming that you have just
seen them on tv). Look at:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...?id=women_rr/T

horburnchaseOG804-059

for example; she's pretty cut and lean. I've ridden behind Linda Jackson,
Lynn Gaggioli, Dotsie Cowden, and Lyne Byssette either in races (don't

ask)
or on group rides, and let me tell you, they are cut and lean. The

sprinters
are a different story...

Which sprinters? Have you seen Tina Mayolo-Pic up close?

Mark

M Man

Tina is about as chiseled as you can get, and not bad since she is old
enough to be Mom to the other girls. Lynn G is looking pretty fit. Lynn B is
very fit this year, she seems thinner then other years, not much fat on her.
I haven't seen Dotsie lately, but there was lot of fatties in the road race.
If you want to see fit, cut lean and mean, then you need to look at Jeanson,
and I have probably seen more close up photos of her then anyone. Believe
me, that is one extremely fit babe with very little body fat anyway. She
breaks the mold for female cyclist. But again, plenty of girls in the race
that were fit and lean but plenty of fatties too. LZ was looking very fit.

Old August 18th 04, 02:18 AM
MMan37x

Which sprinters? Have you seen Tina Mayolo-Pic up close?

Mark

M Man

Tina is about as chiseled as you can get, and not bad since she is old
enough to be Mom to the other girls. Lynn G is looking pretty fit. Lynn B is
very fit this year, she seems thinner then other years, not much fat on her.
I haven't seen Dotsie lately, but there was lot of fatties in the road race.
If you want to see fit, cut lean and mean, then you need to look at Jeanson,
and I have probably seen more close up photos of her then anyone. Believe
me, that is one extremely fit babe with very little body fat anyway. She
breaks the mold for female cyclist. But again, plenty of girls in the race
that were fit and lean but plenty of fatties too. LZ was looking very fit.

I saw Pic, Jeanson, Bessette and Gagglioli in person less than a month ago.
Bessette definitely looks heavier on TV (except when she was crashing; for some
reason she looked thin then - different camera angle/lens?).

You're right about Pic - "chiseled" is the word.

M Man
Old August 18th 04, 03:45 AM
Marlene Blanshay

[...]

I did see a photo of Edwige Pitel (france), taken at the airport when she
arrived in greece. She is one of the skinny ones, but she seems to be
naturally so. And jennie longo is very small; i think she's maybe five feet
tall and weighs about 90 lbs.

Old August 18th 04, 04:55 AM
Sierraman

"MMan37x" wrote in message
[...]

Faby used to be about as fit and lean as you could possibly imagine but I
noticed this year she has a little pouch on her stomach. Another one that
breaks the mold is Joane. This isn't very good, but it shows her at peak
fitness in the Grande Boucle TT, right at the end, second to the last stage
and right when she was peaking for the season. She is really lean, no fat
anywhere, yet for being that trim she is very powerful rider. I wouldn't
mind knowing what her percentage of body fat was at that TT. Joane seems to
be very pleasant classy lady. I've seen Faby in action, she is a machine for
sure, and an extremely smooth one, her climbing is classic so to speak. She
is amazing to watch. 4 Giros, 3 TDF's wins. Second this year in the Giro.
Brandli is another one who is very lean, but taller, great climber.

3m

http://216.219.161.193/temp/Joane-2.mpg

Old August 18th 04, 04:59 AM
Mark Fennell

"MMan37x" wrote in message
I think television doesn't due them justice (assuming that you have just
seen them on tv). Look at:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...?id=women_rr/T

horburnchaseOG804-059

for example; she's pretty cut and lean. I've ridden behind Linda Jackson,
Lynn Gaggioli, Dotsie Cowden, and Lyne Byssette either in races (don't

ask)
or on group rides, and let me tell you, they are cut and lean. The

sprinters
are a different story...

Which sprinters?

Do you really think I'm dumb enough to answer that??? But ok, you're right,
it was an unfair generalization.

Old August 18th 04, 10:22 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:55:15 -0700, "Sierraman"
wrote:

"MMan37x" wrote in message
[...]

How is it that Sierraman is on a first name basis with just about
every top female cyclists?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 18th 04, 05:40 PM
Sierraman

wrote:

"MMan37x" wrote in message
[...]

humm... I don't mind so much with the girls or the women, now there, I
wouldn't want to be on a first name basis with the men!

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Race report - first triathlon (long) Chris Durkin General 10 July 16th 04 05:00 PM
Ghent Six Day Excursion Ilan Vardi Racing 8 November 30th 03 08:03 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
PA riders: Easton to Philly? Hal Rides 0 July 18th 03 03:53 PM
Promoter's Lament -- from Hamilton world's site Rik Van Diesel Racing 11 July 11th 03 08:44 PM