Quote of the Day

Old July 15th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steven L. Sheffield

Default Quote of the Day

"And Popovych has gone POP." -- Paul Sherwen.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old July 15th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jul 15, 11:17 am, "Steven L. Sheffield"
wrote:

"And Popovych has gone POP." -- Paul Sherwen.

I liked the commentary when Levi was coming back to the field after
the bike change, with a _lot_ of help, Sherwen is commenting on how
the push could lead to disqualification, then added that Discovery
would argue that they were adjusting the seat height. Phil: "Yes, I'm
sure that was it."

Old July 15th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Araxen

wrote:
"And Popovych has gone POP." -- Paul Sherwen.

I liked the commentary when Levi was coming back to the field after
the bike change, with a _lot_ of help, Sherwen is commenting on how
the push could lead to disqualification, then added that Discovery
would argue that they were adjusting the seat height. Phil: "Yes, I'm
sure that was it."

It was funny and later on when they showed the replay he made the
comment again about it was a "seat adjustment" and didn't mention it was
cheating.
Old July 15th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MyPostingID

wrote:
"And Popovych has gone POP." -- Paul Sherwen.

I liked the commentary when Levi was coming back to the field after
the bike change, with a _lot_ of help, Sherwen is commenting on how
the push could lead to disqualification, then added that Discovery
would argue that they were adjusting the seat height. Phil: "Yes, I'm
sure that was it."

It was funny and later on when they showed the replay he made the
comment again about it was a "seat adjustment" and didn't mention it was
cheating.

I liked the one where Phil said: "His confidence is bristling out of
his crash helmet there."

Old July 17th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael.

wrote:
"And Popovych has gone POP." -- Paul Sherwen.

I liked the commentary when Levi was coming back to the field after
the bike change, with a _lot_ of help, Sherwen is commenting on how
the push could lead to disqualification, then added that Discovery
would argue that they were adjusting the seat height. Phil: "Yes, I'm
sure that was it."

It was funny and later on when they showed the replay he made the
comment again about it was a "seat adjustment" and didn't mention it was
cheating.

Seems as though the commissaires realized that Levi's tow had been
caught on camera, and with him in view and decided come action was
necessary. Looks to me like Levi got off lightly, very lightly! I
also have a strong feeling that those 10 seconds are not going to seem
that important come Paris....

From http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/details/articles/12785.0.html

The top American contender was fined 50 CHF and penalized 5 points and
10 seconds for the bidon pull and fined an additional 50 CHF for
illegal mechanical assistance.

Leipheimer couldn't care less about the money or the points, but those
10 seconds could be vital in the battle for the overall crown when
every second counts.

"My chain came off on the descent off the Roselend and got wrapped in
the derailleur and I couldn't pedal for the last 5km of the descent,"
Leipheimer told a handful of journalists on Monday's rest day. "The
car was too far behind for it to come up. When I got to the bottom, I
switched to the spare bike, but I even had to change that."

Leipheimer took a sling-shot off a bidon pass just as riders typically
do when chasing back on through the team cars, something that the UCI
seems to be cracking down on this year.

Leipheimer hopes the time penalty doesn't become a factor later in the
race.

"It could make a difference, but if I hadn't gotten back, it would
have made a bigger difference," he said.

Old July 17th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article om,
"Michael." wrote:

From http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/details/articles/12785.0.html

[...]

Rules are rules, but this seems like an appropriately-small penalty for
a small bit of cheating.

Old July 17th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MyPostingID

On Jul 17, 1:21 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article om,

From http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/details/articles/12785.0.html

[...]

to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos- Hide quoted text -

Phil just called Paul "Phil"!

Old July 17th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael.

From http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/details/articles/12785.0.html

[...]

You would be correct, however, if you watch the video from the stage
you will see Levi getting literally pushed back to within sight of
the peleton by a mechanic leaning out of the car window. Oh, and the
mechanic was not even trying to pretend to be adjusting seat height
etc. It was a blatant assist that lasted for several minutes. I did
not see the bidon launch, but I assume that took place once he was in
sight of the tail of the field.

He was lucky.

Michael.

Old July 18th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

wrote:
[...]

Oooh, that's bad form. Minutes long? For a GC contender? That is pushing
it, both literally and figuratively.

Old July 18th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael.

From http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/details/articles/12785.0.html

[...]

If you watch the video you will see that Levi was literally pushed
back to the peleton by a mechanic hanging out of the team car. There
was not even a half hearted attempt to make it look like seat
adjustment, it was that blatant. It was only when the tail of the
peleton came into view that they eased up.

I didn't see it, but I guess it was the bidon fling that got him from
the car to the back of the group, but it was clearly a blatant push
the car that got him within sling shot distance.

This was what (I assume) the original post was referring to...

Levi was lucky, or the referee was smart to not lose high profile
rider over what started out as a stuck chain...

--
Ryan Cousineau /
to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos- Hide quoted text -

QUOTE [email protected] Recumbent Biking 1 February 6th 07 02:47 AM
Quote of The Day Calogero Carlucci Racing 1 July 3rd 06 03:30 AM
A quote for Tim C Deest Australia 5 December 23rd 05 12:40 PM
quote of the day flyingdutch Australia 8 July 20th 05 08:56 PM
quote Birchy General 2 March 23rd 05 04:23 PM