Diabetic Unicyclists

Old March 7th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dunawan

Default Diabetic Unicyclists

Yeah im actually looking into an insulin pump, I have a feeling it will
make living with diabetes much easier. Especially considering its the
closest thing to an artificial pancreas.

--
dunawan
dunawan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13582

Old March 7th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Raggypants

One of my best friends has an insulin pump, one of the new ones that do
everything automaticly.

I watched him inject for about four years and then he dissapeared for
about a week and came back with the pump. He loves it.

He plays touch football and rugby and leads a pretty active life, alas
he just left to go to uni so i wont see him again for a while

Tom

--
Raggypants
Raggypants's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14267

Old March 8th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hecklar

Yeah, i'm type 1 (and so are you, Into The Blue, haha). When you go on
random, hard rides it sometimes gets tricky. Sometimes i don't get the
shakes, but yet i can barely stay upright on my uni, so i know right
away that i need sugar. It's really a big pain in the a**.

And here's a warning to you: Pay close attention to your sugars when
you're alone. On a Sunday in November, i came home around noon and
fell asleep on the couch... skipping lunch. I guess i went into a
non-comatose, but yet very hypoglycemic state. My girlfriend called me
that evening, and since she knew i was home, yet wasn't picking up the
phone, she just assumed the worst and called the paramedics while she
drove over to my place. When the paramedics arrived, oddly, i answered
the door. Seems fine, right? Well, no. That extended, hypoglycemic
sleep made me lose my memory. I knew who i was, and the names of my
friends, but that's about it. I didn't know where i worked, what year
it was, which city i was in; nothing like that. I had to stay in the
hospital for a week while i had all sorts of MRI and CT scans done to
my head, and then i couldn't return to work for another 3 weeks while
my girlfriend babysat me.

I've somewhat recovered, but my memory is only about 65% as good as it
used to be. Seriously, i feel retarded now. My grandparents remind
*me* to do stuff now! And, i guess it's such as rare thing that the
Ottawa Hospital is now doing a research study on what happened to me.

That's just a warning to you. Definitely keep riding, but make sure
you know what's going on with your sugar while you're doing it.

--
hecklar
hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

Old March 8th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

wow, nice girlfriend. hope you get better.

--
zfreak220

iridemymuni wrote:
i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a bitch

howdigetsogood wrote:
man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=57071), oh wait
nevermind i still do.

zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948

Old March 8th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
abridged

hecklar wrote:
...That extended, hypoglycemic sleep made me lose my memory. I knew who
i was, and the names of my friends, but that's about it. I didn't know
where i worked, what year it was, which city i was in; nothing like
that. I had to stay in the hospital for a week while i had all sorts
of MRI and CT scans done to my head, and then i couldn't return to work
for another 3 weeks while my girlfriend babysat me.

I've somewhat recovered, but my memory is only about 65% as good as it
used to be. ...

Yes, I have experienced the same kind of thing. If my blood glucose
goes too far above or below normal, my short-term memory goes with it.
It is a very strange experience that has been the source of a lot of
heart-ache. One thing that really helps helps me - Ginko Baloba. I
really think two pills a day makes an incredible difference in my
short-term ability . The effects are pretty quick, too. You'll find
them in any vitamin section of your local supermarket or drug store.

Good luck,
-David

--
abridged
abridged's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11292

Old March 8th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
abridged

johnfoss wrote:
...For abridged, I wonder if on-ride stuff like Power-Gel would work for
the big rides? Or they might hit you with too much glucose at once? I
have found they work well for me in the right circumstances, namely a
long race or other long, hard event. They are much less useful for
recreational rides, or rides with a lot of stops....

Thanks John. I've tried power gels from time to time and they seem most
useful for times when my glucose level is too low or is rapidly
declining. I try hard to avoid those instances, but when they occur,
granola bars don't act quickly enough. After thinking about it from
this post, I'm going to pack one in my emergency bag on my seatpost.
But you're right, as a "maintenance" snack the power gel is too quick
and too much at one time.

Old March 8th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
abridged

dunawan wrote:
I use the Humalog pen for my fast-acting (every time i eat) and 22 units
of Lantus every night and every morning. ( Im guessing the Humalog pen
and lantus is also what you use.)

That's about the same as my treatment. I've been considering the pump
for some time, but just haven't come to that decision point yet. I do
have a concern about what happens if I were to fall while wearing one.
They're not cheap.

Anyone out there use Exubera, the inhaled insulin?

Old March 8th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dunawan

abridged wrote:
I do have a concern about what happens if I were to fall while wearing
one. They're not cheap.

+1

Anyone out there use Exubera, the inhaled insulin?

I heard about that a few years ago, that it was supposed to come out in
june (cant remember what year)...Ive never heard of it after that
though.

Old March 8th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cafi

abridged wrote:
I was diagnosed type 1 about 5 years ago and inject myself with
quick-acting insulin every time I eat anything with carbohydrates and
with long-acting insulin just before going to bed at night-David

my father lives that routine for 40 years and I‘ve learned a lot from
this experience. The main thing is: in order to keep the diabetes under
control he must have a perfect health - or as close as possible. So
nowadays he‘s 54 and is almost better fitted then me.

so it‘s has a good side, even being the most common thing to say, in
practice that‘s true. The needle‘s and the routine will become...
routine and unicycling can be your therapy/hobby/sport/job…

good luck!!!!!

--
cafi
cafi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11205

Old March 9th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
epistolize

hecklar wrote:
Yeah, i'm type 1 (and so are you, Into The Blue, haha).

mm me too.

i have been since about the age of 11.

It's really a big pain in the a**.

fo' sho'.

_____________________________________

i don't really care what anyone says at the moment about diabetes
preventing me from riding. riding makes me feel good. as long as i feel
like riding i'll ride, now that i've found that i'm able to (i only
started last year). however feeling low makes it difficult for me to
ride so i don't let it happen too often, and if i feel a hypo coming
on, i won't ride until my levels are sorted out.

i think riding is a good motivation for me as i hate the sluggish, "i
don't wanna ride" feeling that is associated with going to the loo
really often and being really hot and bothered instead of
chilled and ez when my blood sugars are running too high, and
it's just harder to focus when riding in that kinda state.

what really annoys me though is that i like to ride whenever,
whereever- you know: just when the urge takes me, and to have to be
aware of the state of my sugars and balancing my foods and everything
and planning how much i'm going to ride and so on, it just feels really
limiting.

i used to use Humalog and Lantus, but now i'm on two lots of Novomix 30
a day.

people often assume stuff when they see me with my unicycle. i was
approached this evening by someone canvassing for bone marrow donors or
something and they were like, "ah, you look really young and fit and
healthy- you'd be ideal.." i went to go and check it out- the first
question i was asked by one of the people at the temporary centre was,
"are you between 18 and 30" or something like that. then "are you
healthy?" and i was like "um... well..." but their impression of me had
been- he rides a unicycle, he must be fit.

anyway, i told them i had diabetes and they said they had to get
someone else who referred me to a chick upstairs in that building (who
i thought was pretty attractive by the way and for whom i'm sure i'd
have signed almost anything if she'd wanted me to... [sorry for
thinking from my saddle, but i won't deny it- that's how it was ]).
well, aaanyway, the long and the short of it is that she asked me how i
managed my diabetes; by diet or insulin, and after i replied, her face
fell and she said i couldn't do it even if i'd wanted to.

yeah, having diabetes sucks. and unfortunately, you can't just ignore
it.

but at least you're not alone.

--
epistolize

affirmation: i will hit tricks in a heavy stylee, quit prehoppin
and flow freely

organise my thughts into lines

and WORK "I lli T!
eratepeoplegetthefulleffectofalphabetsoup?"
epistolize's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11876