Someone stole my lock/chain

Old September 21st 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
dgk

Default Someone stole my lock/chain

I always leave the lock and chain around a lampost outside work. This
morning I came and it was gone. I called the city to check whether the
police do this and was told that they don't. They even think that it's
legal to leave a chain on a lampost.

It was a decent chain but not kryptonite and it must have taken some
work to bust the lock. There was nowhere to leave the bike until a
bike store opens so I bought a decent MasterLock U-Lock from a local
hardware store ($30!) and I'll go shopping for a Kryptonite one later
today.

Ah, the joys of bike commuting in the big city.
Old September 21st 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
justin david

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:33:31 -0400, dgk wrote:

I always leave the lock and chain around a lampost outside work. This
morning I came and it was gone. I called the city to check whether the
police do this and was told that they don't. They even think that it's
legal to leave a chain on a lampost.

It was a decent chain but not kryptonite and it must have taken some
work to bust the lock. There was nowhere to leave the bike until a
bike store opens so I bought a decent MasterLock U-Lock from a local
hardware store ($30!) and I'll go shopping for a Kryptonite one later
today.

Ah, the joys of bike commuting in the big city.

Is there a take out restaurant nearby? They might view you as
competition for the parking space.
Old September 22nd 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

Dear Justin:
justin david wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:33:31 -0400, dgk wrote:

I always leave the lock and chain around a lampost outside work. This
morning I came and it was gone. I called the city to check whether the
police do this and was told that they don't. They even think that it's
legal to leave a chain on a lampost.

It was a decent chain but not kryptonite and it must have taken some
work to bust the lock. There was nowhere to leave the bike until a
bike store opens so I bought a decent MasterLock U-Lock from a local
hardware store ($30!) and I'll go shopping for a Kryptonite one later
today.

Ah, the joys of bike commuting in the big city.

Is there a take out restaurant nearby? They might view you as
competition for the parking space.

You also might want to see about a property management or leasing firm.
One person toting a sign and chain told me "You can't park your bike
there -- I have to lock this here" when I was securing a bike to a lamp
post. I informed said person "I was here first, and where's your bike
rack?" Fortunately/unfortunately I never had a need to patronize any
business in that building in, oh, the last decade or so.....

Robert Leone

Old September 22nd 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
dgk

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:23:50 GMT, justin david
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:33:31 -0400, dgk wrote:

I always leave the lock and chain around a lampost outside work. This
morning I came and it was gone. I called the city to check whether the
police do this and was told that they don't. They even think that it's
legal to leave a chain on a lampost.

It was a decent chain but not kryptonite and it must have taken some
work to bust the lock. There was nowhere to leave the bike until a
bike store opens so I bought a decent MasterLock U-Lock from a local
hardware store ($30!) and I'll go shopping for a Kryptonite one later
today.

Ah, the joys of bike commuting in the big city.

Is there a take out restaurant nearby? They might view you as
competition for the parking space.

I did have that issue once but not at this location.
Old September 22nd 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
dgk

On 22 Sep 2006 04:56:00 -0700, wrote:

Dear Justin:
justin david wrote:
[...]

Nothing like that I think. I've been parking on that lampost for about
nine months with no problem. It's right in front of a building that
serves as a dorm for NYU students so I always figured it was somewhat
safe. A bus comes by every 15 minutes or so to transport students to
and from NYU and the kids wait about ten feet from the bike. I figured
that having that many kids around would keep the bike safe. And it
has, so far. Only the lock and chain got stolen, and that was sometime
at night.
Old September 23rd 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Earl Bollinger

"dgk" wrote in message
I always leave the lock and chain around a lampost outside work. This
morning I came and it was gone. I called the city to check whether the
police do this and was told that they don't. They even think that it's
legal to leave a chain on a lampost.

It was a decent chain but not kryptonite and it must have taken some
work to bust the lock. There was nowhere to leave the bike until a
bike store opens so I bought a decent MasterLock U-Lock from a local
hardware store ($30!) and I'll go shopping for a Kryptonite one later
today.

Ah, the joys of bike commuting in the big city

I think I would seriously consider that a warning to not lock my bike there.
If they can steal the lock and chain, it doesn't bode well for the bike
either.
But then maybe a better lock and chain might defeat that intention.
I remember a while back someone posting a link to a video, where a guy went
around NYC testing various ways to steal a bike.
He was successful all of the time he did it too. He even stole bikes while
lots of people stood around and watched him do it, even the police.
Since it was a experiment, he was actually only stealing his own bike, but
that doesn't bode well for anyone else's bikes too.
If someone asked him he would say something about having lost his keys etc.
The electric grinder cutter video clip was good, I didn't know they had a
convenient power plug inside the light poles.
But then even a couple of insulated alligator clips would have probably
worked too.

Old September 23rd 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Earl Bollinger" wrote: (clip) testing various ways to steal a bike. He was
successful all of the time he did it too. He even stole bikes while lots
of people stood around and watched him do it, even the police. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Reminds me of the time i came back to ride home on my motorcycle, and
discovered I had lost my keys. I went to a hardware store and bought a
hacksaw blade and a pair of cheap locking pliers. It took a while to saw
through the cable, but, as above, no one questioned what I was doing.

It may have had something to do with the way I was dressed, including a
helmet and leather gloves. So that suggests that if one wants to steal
bicycles, it would be best to do it in proper bicycle dress. And, yes, a
helmet.

Old September 23rd 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
justin david

justin david wrote:
[...]

Would that happen to be on the lower East Side? I'm so sick of
****ing NYU taking over half the neighborhood.
Old September 25th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
dgk

justin david wrote:
[...]

Very Lower East Side -- right by the South Street Seaport.
Old October 15th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
nyc kid

The SS sweeps the streets on routes they take dignitaries. The date of your
equipment malfunction coincides with one of those sweeps. Considering your
prints are all over that equipment, it's likely you'll have some explaining
to do.

justin david wrote:
[...]

Armstrong stole my candy, claims two year old. Snippy Bobkins Racing 0 June 27th 06 06:33 AM
Who stole Spring? Maggie General 82 June 15th 05 11:17 AM
Someone Stole My Bike! (Kent) John Latter UK 6 December 31st 04 09:58 PM
A genuine thank-you to the person who stole my bike. Trentus Mountain Biking 1 September 16th 04 05:36 AM