Where to buy tire patches in bulk?

Old October 17th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

Default Where to buy tire patches in bulk?

Any recommendations on where to buy tire patches (not kits) in bulk?
Also what bottled/canned rubber cement works well for patching tires?
For example, will Elmer's Rubber Cement work as well as the stuff that
comes in little tubes in patch kits?

Old October 17th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

someone writes:

Any recommendations on where to buy tire patches (not kits) in bulk?
Also what bottled/canned rubber cement works well for patching
tires? For example, will Elmer's Rubber Cement work as well as the
stuff that comes in little tubes in patch kits?

http://www.triathlete.com/store/product.php?id=34488
http://www.triathlete.com/store/product.php?id=34489

That's one source. There are others.

Jobst Brandt
Old October 17th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"damyth" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any recommendations on where to buy tire patches (not kits) in bulk?
Also what bottled/canned rubber cement works well for patching tires?
For example, will Elmer's Rubber Cement work as well as the stuff that
comes in little tubes in patch kits?

"Rubber Cement is an adhesive made from polymers mixed in a solvent such
as acetone, hexane, heptane or benzene to keep them fluid enough to be
used. This makes it part of the class of drying adhesives: as the
solvent evaporates, the "rubber" part remains behind, forming a strong
yet flexible bond."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_cement

Rubber cement adheres best to porous surfaces like paper. It's not a
very strong bond.

The adhesive used to patch rubber products contains a very aggressive,
volatile solvent that in some instances attacks the rubber itself,
preparing the surface for the adhesive incorporated in the back side of
the patch.

Here's several sources for bulk patches and tire patching cement. Do a
quick Google search and you will find a lot more.

http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-203.html

http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Automoti...ma%20tip%20top

Chas.

Old October 17th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 17 Oct 2006 11:14:55 -0700, "damyth"
wrote:

Any recommendations on where to buy tire patches (not kits) in bulk?
Also what bottled/canned rubber cement works well for patching tires?
For example, will Elmer's Rubber Cement work as well as the stuff that
comes in little tubes in patch kits?

Dear Damyth,

BikeToolsEtc sells Rema glue in cans and the small patches in boxes of
100:

Glue:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=RE-203

Patches:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=RE-F1P

(f0p patches are small #0 for bikes, f1p are large #1 pathces, too
big)

Search for "rema" at the site to see other quantities and goodies. My
big 8 ounce can appears to be good for a few thousand patches.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 18th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fritz

wrote:

Any recommendations on where to buy tire patches (not kits) in bulk?
Also what bottled/canned rubber cement works well for patching tires?
For example, will Elmer's Rubber Cement work as well as the stuff that
comes in little tubes in patch kits?

Greetings.

I have been using Elmer's Rubber Cement for a few years now with
absolutely no patch failures. Of course my method is to clamp the
patch and tube in a vise after application. May or may not be needed
but makes me feel better.

Go for it.
Old October 18th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Cotton

wrote:

Any recommendations on where to buy tire patches (not kits) in bulk?
Also what bottled/canned rubber cement works well for patching tires?
For example, will Elmer's Rubber Cement work as well as the stuff that
comes in little tubes in patch kits?

Greetings.

I have been using Elmer's Rubber Cement for a few years now with
absolutely no patch failures. Of course my method is to clamp the
patch and tube in a vise after application. May or may not be needed
but makes me feel better.

Go for it.

I use whatever brand of rubber glue I find, since the tube that comes with
the kits are usually found to be dry on the second use. I use the rubber
glue from a bottle at home and always have an unopened tube in my seat bag
for uses while on the road. Since I try to have a replacement tube while
riding, most of my patching is done at home. I must have about 5 unopened
tubes of glue around.
I bought a 25 piece patch kit from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/ made by Slime. out of stock on the web. but
there are stores in many states.
http://www.slime.com/tirecare/patchplug.php They also list a 50 piece kit.

--
www.billcotton.com

Old October 19th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Kopit

wrote:

Any recommendations on where to buy tire patches (not kits) in bulk?
Also what bottled/canned rubber cement works well for patching tires?
For example, will Elmer's Rubber Cement work as well as the stuff that
comes in little tubes in patch kits?

20 mm Rema patches, not the usual 25 mm, 100 box part# FO-P. I don't
know bicycle supplier that has these. You can get from distributor
that supplies automobile tire supplies. Ask them order it with their
next order. Not cheap, $12 vs the wholesale price for the Rema 25
patches.
Old October 19th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Blair P. Houghton

Paul Kopit wrote:
20 mm Rema patches, not the usual 25 mm, 100 box part# FO-P. I don't
know bicycle supplier that has these. You can get from distributor
that supplies automobile tire supplies. Ask them order it with their
next order. Not cheap, $12 vs the wholesale price for the Rema 25
patches.

One of the links just posted was for 16-mm patches.

http://www.triathlete.com/store/product.php?id=34489

Those are probably best for narrow tires. Even 22's are
definitely too big to put on 18-23 tubes without folding
or cutting. Not sure about 20's, but I'd guess those too.

--Blair